PDA

View Full Version : Starboard

EmilyB
01-03-2004, 02:03 AM
Anyone thinking about doing a tank with starboard and have any ideas of places around here to get the stuff?

Scavenger
01-03-2004, 02:05 AM
Personally I'd add port, stern and bow or else you may get leaks.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

LostMind
01-03-2004, 02:21 AM
I was considering it, but am worried about detritus getting trapped underneath the starboard.

Also, I like the activities in the sand - so many critters.

EmilyB
01-03-2004, 02:32 AM
:lol: Scavenger...

Yeah, Lost I guess there is some reason to seal it maybe so that can't happen. I have just started watching the threads on it and would like to try it on a small tank.

UnderWorldAquatics
01-03-2004, 02:46 AM
I must be missing something here??? I thought "starboard" was the poly vinyl material that plastic cutting boards are made of??? they also use it on rear boat decks...
what is starboard that you speak of??? is it perforated? for plenums???
sorry to bug you

Bob I
01-03-2004, 02:54 AM
Anyone thinking about doing a tank with starboard and have any ideas of places around here to get the stuff?

:question: :question: :question: :rolleyes:

LostMind
01-03-2004, 03:31 AM
Yah, its a plastic that wont leech stuff into the water. Some people are using it as a base in their tanks - instead of sand.

UnderWorldAquatics
01-03-2004, 03:43 AM
lol, ok I see.... I guess that would make some sense if you want really low maintainence reef, I guess to avoid setting rock on the bottom glass, not breakable, and more grip... You can get it at industrial plactics, I get it out of the US from a poly-vinyl plant. I was going to use it in some of my large holding tanks for live rock

EmilyB
01-03-2004, 06:04 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=223301&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Canadian Man
01-03-2004, 06:18 AM
Um yea that's BUTT ugly!

I think I would rather see bare bottom than a cutting board bottom :rolleyes:

EmilyB
01-03-2004, 06:57 AM
Laugh now.... :razz: We will see... :lol: :mrgreen: :razz: Barry is fighting for his cutting boards....

Diomedes
01-03-2004, 07:32 AM
If I wanted to avoid a sand bed (which I usually do), I would mould a realistic rock bottom with cement and small fragments of live rock (have done, looks kinda neat). But That is ugly, maybe even tasteless. Yes, even a bare bottom is more elegant.

Stephen

Delphinus
01-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Bomber's tank looks like a bunch of rocks placed on a cutting board. I don't really care for the look. You definitely need a sandbed for some critters, I think brain corals prefer to be in sand for example, plus, some fish like jawfish make sand burrows, others like wrasses like to bury themselves in sand at night .... so I think it is limiting in livestock choices.

UnderWorldAquatics
01-04-2004, 12:30 AM
for me storing rock, it is great, I also use heavy plastic grid to let critters fall through when curing rock, for a display aquarium, IMO it looks as fun as a hospital hallway.... a thin layer of aragonite is easy to clean and better looking

EmilyB
01-04-2004, 12:32 AM
But That is ugly, maybe even tasteless. Yes, even a bare bottom is more elegant.

Stephen

:lol: I still think it would be an improvement for my FOWA...(sic)

Did you guys honestly think I'd put in my reef... :rolleyes: :razz: