PDA

View Full Version : A little input please. :)

tony_3a
02-24-2011, 02:13 AM
Hey guys, I recently purchased a emperor angelfish that was about 2 inches probably, but it is already in transition so thats pretty cool. Anyways I have a koran that is till a juv and the guy at jl said they shouldnt fight, so i put the emperor into my tank. Right away the koran went chasing after it. So yesterday I come home from work and the emperor is hiding in the top left corner of the tank. Then while im watching it decides to go for a swim, then the koran comes and bites its tale and starts whipping it around. So what i did is i got a colander and suspended it in the tank, caught the emperor(he was not to active after the attack) and then i left him in their over night. So then this morning I bought a 20 gallon kit from petsmart, and took sand and liverock and even water out of my main(to avoid a cycle) and i have the emperor in there, hes been in there for about 3 hours and is looking awesome, swimming all around, even ate a couple pieces of mysis i put in there.

Anyways, On with the questions. Will the angels stop fighting if the emperor changes into his adult colours?

Also, how long do you think a small emperor would be ok in a 20 gallon alone.

And do you think it would be a good idea to put one or 2 of my chromis in with the emperor? Or leave it alone so he has all the room.

Thanks for your time, sorry i just realized how long this thread is.

fishoholic
02-24-2011, 04:46 AM
I've had two emperor angels in both cases it took over a year for a 2" juvi to change into full adult colouration, within this year they grow to around 5-6". Emperor angels get quite large (over 12") and will need a minimum of a 180g tank as they start to reach adulthood, and a even larger tank as they continue to grow.

IMO a 20g is way to small of a tank for an emperor, even for a short period of time. If your koran is fighting that much with it odds are that wont change over time, and most likely would get worse as they get larger/older. Your best bet is to take the emperor back to the LFS where you got it from and explain to them that your angels do not get along and ask for a refund.

tony_3a
02-24-2011, 06:20 AM
I've had two emperor angels in both cases it took over a year for a 2" juvi to change into full adult colouration, within this year they grow to around 5-6". Emperor angels get quite large (over 12") and will need a minimum of a 180g tank as they start to reach adulthood, and a even larger tank as they continue to grow.

IMO a 20g is way to small of a tank for an emperor, even for a short period of time. If your koran is fighting that much with it odds are that wont change over time, and most likely would get worse as they get larger/older. Your best bet is to take the emperor back to the LFS where you got it from and explain to them that your angels do not get along and ask for a refund.

Ok thank you for your input. I think i will just try and get my koran out, i would prefer to keep the emperor angel instead of the koran.

paddyob
02-24-2011, 06:48 AM
It is easy to ask for a refund... but are there actually any that will take a fish back if you buy an incompatible fish in error?

I only ask because I see this is regular advice.. "return it" ... but have yet to actually see someone state the "store took it back".

I agree with the fact that a 20 gallon is way too small. Hopefully you can get it back to the LFS for at least a credit.

Good luck! Hope it works out!

gobytron
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
I'd be surprised if JL didnt at LEAST offer a credit or exchange.

JL is a really fair LFS in my experiences over the last 5 years there.

ensquire
02-25-2011, 12:52 AM
I'd be surprised if JL didnt at LEAST offer a credit or exchange.

JL is a really fair LFS in my experiences over the last 5 years there.
+1

tony_3a
02-26-2011, 06:11 AM
Hey guys, i know its not idea, but i am upgrading within a month or so, so thats the only time the fish would be in the tank.

But great news, its eating brine shrimp and its fins are already looking way better after 3 days, He is even coming out of his hiding spot and watching us, my 17 month old loves him because the tank is at eye level, and he will go up to the tank and watch the fish, and the fish comes out and watches him back, its funny watching a baby talk to a fish. Very interesting!!!!

Thanks for all your guys input!!!
Tony

mattdean
02-26-2011, 03:17 PM
That's great, but if you upgrade in a month, the tank wouldn't be ready for another 2 months, so the fish will be in the tank for at least three months. THEN, you will be putting it into a less than stable environment.

Just something to think about. On the other hand, the fish should be fully recovered by then. I would put the Emperor in BEFORE the Koran to let it establish itself and get settled with a territory, etc.

Good luck. I've always wanted an Emperor Angel, but I like LPS and Zoas too much to have one.

naesco
02-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Hey guys, i know its not idea, but i am upgrading within a month or so, so thats the only time the fish would be in the tank.

But great news, its eating brine shrimp and its fins are already looking way better after 3 days, He is even coming out of his hiding spot and watching us, my 17 month old loves him because the tank is at eye level, and he will go up to the tank and watch the fish, and the fish comes out and watches him back, its funny watching a baby talk to a fish. Very interesting!!!!

Thanks for all your guys input!!!
Tony

Hope you are upgrading to a 300-350 gallon tank because that is what the experts recommend.
Attached is part 2 of the article of keeping large angelfish. Can't find part 1 which deals with tank size and the reasons why. Maybe someone can find it.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/3/fish/view?searchterm=angelfish