PDA

View Full Version : will this be overstocked?

cathyg_99
02-24-2011, 12:13 AM
90 gallon tank with the over flow is really more like 82-85 gallon would this be overstocked?

currently i have

1 yellow tang
2 blue chromis
1 firefish
2 picasso clowns
1 mandarin goby
1 pepermint shrimp
8 blue leg hermits
4 turbo snails
4(i think i rarely see them) sand sifting snails
1 sand sifting starfish
1 emerald crab
1 porcelain crab

i would like to add:

1 cleaner shrimp
1 wrasse (thinking of a fairy but might do a six line)
1 tuxedo urchin
1 firefish

maybe another show piece fish hippo tang, or something else (any suggestions)

hound96
02-24-2011, 12:29 AM
that doesn't sound bad just remember that hippo will need a larger home eventually

cathyg_99
02-24-2011, 12:51 AM
that doesn't sound bad just remember that hippo will need a larger home eventually

im not sold on the hippo because i know they will need another home but i just want a nice show piece

hound96
02-24-2011, 01:39 AM
maybe considder a coral beauty or a flame angel or both if you introduce them at the same time

globaldesigns
02-24-2011, 02:23 AM
maybe considder a coral beauty or a flame angel or both if you introduce them at the same time

I think you are good to go... your tank is too small for a hippo, so I wouldn't bother. I also do recommend a flame angel and maybe a Potters, but it depends on what coral you may want, if any. If you plan on coral, just remember that angels may pick at it.

Also maybe look at some types of wrasses, lots of beauties within that species. Also maybe anthias'

gobytron
02-24-2011, 02:36 PM
I'll just jump in here and mention what a debate there actually is between the tang police and those who have positive experiences with tangs in smaller tanks...

wasn't there a huge argument in a thread a while back after some testing had been done to measure stress levels of fish in aquaria and the findings were that it made no difference...

Tang controversy aside, that bioload seems okay to me, but id cap it there and make sue my skimmer was always well maintaned.

I also dont think I'd put two tangs in any tank under 150 gallons...
just cuz they are pretty dirty fish imo.

Rogue951
02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
We should put a pop up as soon as you enter the forum.
Please do not mention the T word in any setup under 120 gallons. If that is your intent keep it to yourself. Click OK to continue.

Just rememner urchin's like to rearrange loose rocks/corals, anything really. you'd be surprized what they can move. Mine seem to like picking up my poor snails and running around the tank with them helpless. =(
I wonder if any have died from being carried around and I didn't knock them off.

gobytron
02-25-2011, 01:53 PM
We should put a pop up as soon as you enter the forum.
Please do not mention the T word in any setup under 120 gallons. If that is your intent keep it to yourself. Click OK to continue.

Just rememner urchin's like to rearrange loose rocks/corals, anything really. you'd be surprized what they can move. Mine seem to like picking up my poor snails and running around the tank with them helpless. =(
I wonder if any have died from being carried around and I didn't knock them off.

wow...
How long did it take you to move so high up the tang police ranks?

Rogue951
02-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Oh I'm not of the TP ranks. I'm actually one of the worst offenders. =)
I just see what happeneds in the past on not just here when ppl mention tanga in a small tank.

cathyg_99
02-25-2011, 02:57 PM
i just dont want to buy a fish have it for a year and then have to give it away because its to large for the tank

Palmer
02-25-2011, 03:50 PM
I have peppermints and have wanted to get a cleaner but I have read several posts that have said that cleaners often will go after and kill peppermints. Now of course there probably are plenty of people who havent experienced this but I have avoided adding additional shrimp because of it.

asylumdown
02-26-2011, 03:09 AM
heh, if this tank is overstocked, mine is a mini Tokyo...

I don't even count my invertebrates when I think about stocking limits, unless they will blatantly fight.

I've got 4 cleaner's and 4 peppermint's living together. So far no problems with fighting, the peppermints are so nocturnal I only see them once or twice a week, but they always have egg clusters (as do the cleaners) so they can't be too stressed out.