PDA

View Full Version : Bio Cube

chopperman
02-22-2011, 02:45 AM
Im thinking of starting up a freshwater nano. Does anyone have an opinion of what may be the best bang for your buck setup. I have looked at Oceanic bio cubes, but I have have also seen Red Sea setups. Does anyone have any recommendations to which may have the better internal components. If theres anybody running these setups I'd like to hear input on how its working out for you. Im leaning toward the Oceanic.

Adam

Funky_Fish14
02-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Any of these should certainly be acceptable for freshwater (even planted, since they have good lighting). If you can find them at stores locally, I'd go check out which ones have more easily accessible filtration for cleaning etc... You should be able to find schematics for filtration and/or filtration section volume. There are different sizes of the AIO (All in one), so the filtration sizes will be different. Again, if you can, I would check out in person what seems to be the easiest to clean out, and will process waste efficiently.

I've personally taken care of a 12g bio-cube for 6 months, and I think the maitenance/cleaning could go a bit smoother. I havent had the chance to tinker with the others. Maybe someone else can chime in in terms of the aquapods, nano-cubes, etc...

Cheers,

Chris

s.tan
02-22-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm currently running all the sizes of the oceanic biocubes (8, 14, 29 gallon) and have been generally quite happy with them. The fans can get a little noisy but they can be replaced easily and only the 8 and 14 have a hinged hood. I've also had a 12 gallon aquapod but the opening in the hood was quite small and not as user friendly as the biocubes. Overall the tank seemed more flimsy than the biocubes. The viewing area of the tank was better (more rectangular) than the 14 biocube, however. With regards to the Red Sea Max's I haven't tried any since in general, the price seems to be quite a bit higher than the biocubes. Hope this helps.

chopperman
02-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Thank you all for the replies, Im still checking them out and using opinions to help with the decision. Im not in a hurry to buy quite yet. So I'll keep checking them out.

Adam

Polscot
05-28-2011, 10:40 AM
the red sea max series of aquariums is designed 100% for salt water set ups as it has a built in auto top off system, i really wouldent waste the money to make it a freshwater, ud be better off with a biocube also a saltwater tank (usually) the best "bang for your buck" is going to be spending $30 on a standard 30-40g tank and buying a filter and heater,

chopperman
05-28-2011, 02:43 PM
I agree with you, but in this case the tank wasnt for me. It was for someone else that wanted to downsize big time. The good thing is that if they decide to sell, I would definately turn it back to salt.

KateDaring52
07-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Wonderful! thanks for the info that you guys have been discussing. Awesome!!!!