PDA

View Full Version : supergluing a anemone??

cathyg_99
02-22-2011, 02:21 AM
so i bought a bubble tip and figured i would just let it pick its own spot... but at the LFS they said i can just take super glue(the coral glue) and shove it where ever i want.....

has anyone tried this? im thinking it would just rip the flesh off and move anyways...

i havent glued him if you are wondering i thought that was STUPID advice... hes found a comfy place in my tank....

Far under a rock at the back where no one can see him unless you squat and lean to the side...

daniella3d
02-22-2011, 02:23 AM
I would not do it. Anemones need to be able to move if they want to. It's not a sessile coral.

so i bought a bubble tip and figured i would just let it pick its own spot... but at the LFS they said i can just take super glue(the coral glue) and shove it where ever i want.....

has anyone tried this? im thinking it would just rip the flesh off and move anyways...

globaldesigns
02-22-2011, 02:25 AM
WHAT!!!!! I don't have any anemone's, and I am by far an expert, but my suggestion is not to deal with that LFS anymore. Anemones want to move and find a spot they like, if you glue them, they will then probably stress and die. Very poor advice from that store.

cathyg_99
02-22-2011, 02:26 AM
I would not do it. Anemones need to be able to move if they want to. It's not a sessile coral.

thats what i was thinking but thats what they are recommending to people... poor anemones

Wayne
02-22-2011, 02:39 AM
I doubt it would work anyways. I have tried to glue softies without any success. I would definaltly be very careful going to that LFS.

eli@fijireefrock.com
02-22-2011, 04:08 AM
WOW
I can't believe someone would tell you this,or maybe it is believable as i seen a lot of stores giving the wrong advice just to make a sale or malpractice on the owners not giving the right information to their employee.
1st you will never be able to glue an anemone as it has some kind of mucus coating on its body for crazy glue to work it need to be dry.good luck without killing the anemone.
don't try it the eventually the anemone will find its perfect spot and stop roaming your tank,you just hope its in your view of sight.lol.

reefwars
02-22-2011, 04:11 AM
hummmm let me guess.........aqua giant;)

mark
02-22-2011, 04:13 AM
it's got to be true if it's coming from a professional, no?

paddyob
02-22-2011, 04:16 AM
An LFS in Edmonton??? Which one??

viperfish
02-22-2011, 04:24 AM
That's some of the most absurd advice I have ever heard. It's amazing how many LFS owners/employees know just enough to be dangerous!

Abe
02-22-2011, 04:32 AM
lol reefwars my thought exactly :)

turkleton
02-22-2011, 04:46 AM
That is terrible advice. Which store did this happen at?

Delphinus
02-22-2011, 04:50 AM
I'm reasonably certain it would totally be impossible to glue an anemone down. It would be like trying to glue jello. :lol:

lockrookie
02-22-2011, 05:06 AM
I'm reasonably certain it would totally be impossible to glue an anemone down. It would be like trying to glue jello. :lol:

lol i was thinkng the same maybe someone needs to invent a anenome liesh,,lol

globaldesigns
02-22-2011, 04:21 PM

HEHE, and Tony how can you make this comparison? :biggrin:

dsaundry
02-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Someone should super-glue the clerk/workers lips together..totally dumb advise.

Hawkaholic
02-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Just goes to show that any A$$ can open a pet store.

You could try to use PCV 2-3 inches high. Get PVC that is big enough so the Nem is comfy. Sometimes they stay in there...sometimes not lol. Nems will go wherever they darn well please. I have a purple nem that I've had for months and it still cruises the tank.

Coleus
02-22-2011, 05:34 PM
this is how they get you to buy more anemone. Lets assume that you success super-glue your anemone to the rock (which I highly doubt you can do it due to its slime), it will die then your LFS will tell you it is because of your water, so you need to buy water treatment, etc.. and then another anemone and try again. This is how they make money.

When i first started this hobby, i bought so many stuff from LFS that now looking back I should never bought. and this LFS is among the most reputable stores in town.

I am glad that you post your question here because lots of knowledgeable ppl on this forum that will give you a better advice than LFS.

cale262
02-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Hey, I have a couple clowns that won't host...Maybe this is the answer...crzy glue them to the nem...

Not to poke fun at the bad advice but wow...I'm glad you asked first. :biggrin:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/8/6/128940327786241599.jpg

BlueWorldAquatic
02-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Glue? damn I only know of one store that mighttell someone that, and it's in Sherwood Park.

Nems, rics and mushrooms can't be glued properly. for rics & mushrooms you can use a needle and thread.

Under no cirumstances should they ever glued.

You should know better, Brian

paddyob
02-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Glue? damn I only know of one store that mighttell someone that, and it's in Sherwood Park.

+1 ... maybe thats why when I tried to buy an RBTA in SP a while back they could not get it off the rock.... crazy glue ha ha!

"you have to buy the rock it's on too... at $11.99/POUND and the rock is 6 pounds."

Ha ha!

CandyCane
02-24-2011, 12:31 AM
I work at an LFS and I promise I would never tell a person to put glue on any kind of animal !!!! YIKES :frown: this kind of stuff makes all of us look bad. I'M SORRY

Ian
02-24-2011, 05:20 AM
If you have trouble getting the glue to work...try a pneumatic nail gun but only while still in the tank...I am sure you would be happy with the outcome of that process as well.....Man the things people try to tell you!

globaldesigns
02-24-2011, 05:22 AM
HMMMMM, my bed has 4 bed posts... Superglue and my wife.... 2 arms, 2 legs, 4 bed posts.... Whatcha think?

She wouldn't get away then!

cathyg_99
02-24-2011, 03:02 PM
If you have trouble getting the glue to work...try a pneumatic nail gun but only while still in the tank...I am sure you would be happy with the outcome of that process as well.....Man the things people try to tell you!

the rock just breaks when you do that so make sure you nail it to the glass

reefwars
02-24-2011, 04:36 PM
the rock just breaks when you do that so make sure you nail it to the glass

+1 :):):)

MarkoD
02-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Which store was this? Can't be AG.... They don't even sell anemones

reefwars
02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
since im not the op i wont mention the name but i will say its not aqua giant and its your typical teenage employee store...hehe ;) its a " big" teenage employee store.....hope that helps:):)

ponokareefer
02-24-2011, 05:48 PM
since im not the op i wont mention the name but i will say its not aqua giant and its your typical teenage employee store...hehe ;) its a " big" teenage employee store.....hope that helps:):)

al well, I guess you can't get could advise when you don't go to the right place.

reefwars
02-24-2011, 06:02 PM
my guessing is that wth the 1000 empoyees at the store it was someone who ventured down the salty isle but should have stuck to their own section.....lke the cash register ;)

MarkoD
02-24-2011, 07:01 PM
i cant say anything bad about them.... one of the employees helped me boost my car yesterday..... but they did sell me what seems to be a bad auto shut off for my RO/DI

Renegade
02-24-2011, 08:28 PM
As much as you guys want to protect the store and i realize what "big" store it is. We should not be afraid to simply come out and say the name. Only then will those stores realize that when the Salt water community speaks and stops shopping there, that they need to adjust there business practices. It does not do anyone any good to protect those stores. Theirs not a store out there that i would not come out and state there name if this was the advice i received even if it were my locally trusted ones. Its about holding retailers to a standard of service.

I'm quite sure that someone who represents that store is a Canreef member and this information is something that should be brought to there attention.

I am extremely lucky to be so close to OA and J&L's.

RuGlu6
02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Someone should super-glue the clerk/workers lips together..totally dumb advise.

+1
How about gluing him to a toilet and supplying a feeding tube for a few days lets see if he likes it? LOL

ponokareefer
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
I really wish that employees were just trained to say, "I don't know, I will try find out for you." This should be one of the things they are trained on first. Otherwise you get crap like this happening more and more often. There is nothing wrong with not having all the answers and putting in the effort to find out the correct answer.

mattdean
02-24-2011, 09:23 PM
LOL! I'm trying to UN-superglue my LTA! It will NOT move. It's in the exact same spot I put it - which is where i wanted it to be, but it's grown sooo big, I need to remove it and it won't move, no matter what.

A little hint to keep a Nem (at least an LTA, or Carpet, anyways) where you want it. Corral it in with rocks and it is less likely to roam around. Doesn't work for BTA's, mind you.

Coleus
02-24-2011, 09:26 PM
LOL! I'm trying to UN-superglue my LTA! It will NOT move. It's in the exact same spot I put it - which is where i wanted it to be, but it's grown sooo big, I need to remove it and it won't move, no matter what.

A little hint to keep a Nem (at least an LTA, or Carpet, anyways) where you want it. Corral it in with rocks and it is less likely to roam around. Doesn't work for BTA's, mind you.

I use a powerhead and aim at the LTA and it moves

mattdean
02-25-2011, 12:51 AM
I don't want to hijack the thread, but, I hammered it with a powerhead for hours on 3 occasions, tried ice cubes, tried yanking at it, tried covering it with rocks, I even got frustrated and handled it a little too hard and poked my finger through the flesh on it's side (gross). It still won't budge. The thing is 14 inches across now and endangering a couple of expensive corals. I need to get it out! but I don't want to kill it, of course.

Renegade
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Its not gonna just get up and walk around leave the power head on it overnight, aim it at its base and you'll find its not were it was. You have to realize that its base could be 6inch inside your rock work. My 18inch anemone had a base that was at least 12 inch inside my rock work. It could completely disappear if it wanted too.