PDA

View Full Version : DIY moon lite

Namscam
01-02-2004, 04:35 AM
has anyone made a moon lite for their aquarium...If so where did you get your leds... and what kinds of leds did you use, because i think i ve read somewhere that you need leds that burn at a wavelength of 470-480 nm...is this true?i m sure you can just use any leds....

Chad
01-02-2004, 06:57 AM
has anyone made a moon lite for their aquarium...If so where did you get your leds... and what kinds of leds did you use, because i think i ve read somewhere that you need leds that burn at a wavelength of 470-480 nm...is this true?i m sure you can just use any leds....

We sell Blue LED's at my work.. if you need some let me know.. I know DJ88 made a DIY moonlight. Its on this forum somewhere, just do a search for his postings.

I have no clue about the wavelength thing tho.

UnderWorldAquatics
01-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Ive used leds from 430nm to 470nm, I use lumileds led's, they are 5watts each and are very very very very very very very very bright, get what Im saying??? lol
Im still working on some led lighting for large tanks im going to use 10 watt leds soon

Namscam
01-02-2004, 08:20 AM
how much for the leds...i m thinking i do like a 10 light led moonlight setup??do u sell them in packs??

Namscam
01-02-2004, 08:38 AM
would 430 nm work because i dont want just the appearance but also the effects because i ve heard it helps stimulates molts and spawning...read that it should be 470-480nm

StirCrazy
01-02-2004, 11:33 AM
would 430 nm work because i dont want just the appearance but also the effects because i ve heard it helps stimulates molts and spawning...read that it should be 470-480nm

I have been playing with LED lighting for almost a year now (took a little break for the move though) but I will be starting up again.

I don't know whare this 470nm rating came from as the moon is not blue and nore does it throw off a blue light. and when I was in hawii swimming way after dark (don't ask :mrgreen: ) the water was not blue either.

now asteticly we like to see a bluish look to our tanks so I have been playing with a mix of 430nm and 470 nm LED's and I have a few 385nm LEDs on the way. the hardest part is getting a even look to the tank at every hight with out the spot light effect. also you have to either put them high or make a difuser to soften the light so you only get a glow and not a harsh flood light effect.

once I get the speaker boxes made for my truck I will be working on fabracating a new light rack for LED's for my 25 gal tank so I can play with a few more of my ideas.

Underworld do you mean 5mm? the only 5 watt LED's I know of are the luxton stars, did you find another? if so send me a link for them please.

Steve

Chad
01-02-2004, 05:21 PM
We have a little battery box we use to test our LED's.. They will not run with less than 3volts. We made our battey box run at 4.5volts.. makes a very bright blue but does not burn it out.

UnderWorldAquatics
01-02-2004, 06:39 PM
i deal with Lumileds a fair bit, they are the manufactures of the luxeon star emitters, and a few other variations, I have been using their 1watt leds, their 5watt leds, and am waiting for their test release of their new 10watt leds. I use the blue and white leds, they are very nice, even the 1watt and 5watt leds give a sparkle effect like halides, but it is more sharp, just working out heat issues with mounting them in an enclosure.
the little buggers get pretty toasty...and they are fairly expensive, 14 leds and 3 ballasts to run them cost me around $550.00US and that is getting them direct, prices are comming down, but I got that order when they first came out. Im working with rings of 12 5watt leds in blue and white to make lighting with just leds, they will probably cost $2000+ but are fully programable, dimmable by 1/1000 increments, and will last about 20 years, also will severly reduce your electrical bill. running 1200W-1800W of halides and attinics gets a little pricey...

StirCrazy
01-02-2004, 11:14 PM
the 5 watt ones are about 20.00 each localy, can you get a better deal than that?

Steve

LostMind
01-02-2004, 11:38 PM
I would love to see LED lighting for tanks...

UnderWorldAquatics
01-03-2004, 01:12 AM
I havent bought any for a while, got too busy to play around. When they cost me that much they had just come out and they were around $35US each, that was quite a while ago, Ill be getting some more in the next month or 2, I have to talk with sales rep I deal with, Ill let you know what they come too. Should be buying a couple hundred of them, gota do some tests...