PDA

View Full Version : Response Needed ASAP

JenniferL
02-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Sick sebae anemone. I have been in the hospital for the past 4 days because I went into labor, got home on Saturday and today noticed it not looking well. (Ended up having a c-section so its gonna be tough bending over to get into the tank.) Talk about great timing! Took a closer look and noticed its mouth open and it is shrunken a bit. Just wondering should I pull it out now before it gets worse? It sucks because I was so proud that I nursed it back to health. When I got it, it was bleached and about the size of the mouth of a cup but has since grown to the size of a dinner plate and was a healthy tan color with purple tips. I've had it for a little over a year.
If I do need to pull it out, could someone give me some tips of how to go about doing it. Thanks in advance

Tank param
pH 8.4
amm 0
Nitri 0
Nitra 0
alk 6.72 dkh ( low I know, but haven't been home to dose)
calcium 380
mag 1375
temp 78

outacontrol
02-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Not sure what to say about the anemone, I would just wait and watch it.
Congratulations on the new baby.

naesco
02-22-2011, 01:07 AM
Trying feeding it a variety of fresh food.

JenniferL
02-22-2011, 01:12 AM
I did try and give it a small silverside which it usually gobbles up. It grabbed it and curled it inward towards its mouth but then just kinda held it there and that was it.

Nebthet
02-22-2011, 02:05 AM
Congratulations on the new bundle of joy. Please take your time recovering.

In terms of your Sebae anemone...

Try to avoid feeding silversides to anemones. While a lot of people have been ok with them, a lot of others have seen their anemones die from them. Instead feed clams and thawed people shrimp cut into mush or very tiny little peices instead.

But for now, if you have it, I would suggest instead to try feeding the anemone just a little bit of mysis shrimp. You don't want any large foods in him in case it is sick and just not PO'd at some tank parameter.

Also, was the sebae shrivelled just after lights on? or after a few hours. I ask, as my sebae likes to shrivel up and do an internal water change a few hours before lights on.

The best I could suggest for you right now, is do a small water change. Get help if needed and continue your dosing and give it 48hours to see if the anemone improves. Also, if you have shrimp in your system, keep an eye on them to see if they are attacking your sebae at all. I lost a BTA due to a cleaner shrimp harassing it all the time.

JenniferL
02-22-2011, 03:26 AM
thanks, I'll give that a try. My lights come on at around 10am and go off at 6pm and this was at about 4pm this afternoon that I noticed it like that.

JenniferL
02-22-2011, 05:23 AM
So I just dug out the rock because the anemone was looking worse and as I pulled it out of the water and got the rock that it was attached to into a bowl and realized that it was f'ing snail that had fallen into the mouth. What are the chances of this anemone recovering from this? The foot was never torn off the rock, it was still firmly attached, it was just exposed to the air for a minute.

reefwars
02-22-2011, 05:37 AM
So I just dug out the rock because the anemone was looking worse and as I pulled it out of the water and got the rock that it was attached to into a bowl and realized that it was f'ing snail that had fallen into the mouth. What are the chances of this anemone recovering from this? The foot was never torn off the rock, it was still firmly attached, it was just exposed to the air for a minute.

if its foot is still attached i would believe you still have a chance, dont try to feed it and see if it will expell it keep an eye out for it, if you can see the snail try pulling it out with a small set of prongs or tweasers but dont go fishing in there blind only if you think you can get it without causing it any more harm.........i wouldnt think the snail is healthy longterm as when it dies it will be nasty if its either bit big....good luck

Nebthet
02-22-2011, 05:38 AM
If you were able to extract the snail, without damaging the anemone's mouth it should be able to recover in a couple of days.

JenniferL
02-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Thankfully I think the anemone was already trying to expel the snail because I was able to just pick the snail off without any force. The anemone is still quite shrivelled yet this morning, but I will get a better look when the lights come on.

silentcivilian
02-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Goodluck with anemone and congrats on the new baby!

Wayne
02-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Update?

gobytron
02-23-2011, 02:05 PM
pull it...lol
you have more pressing thins to worry about now...:wink: