PDA

View Full Version : wrasse question

mycat99
02-21-2011, 11:48 PM
i am looking to get a wrasse for my tank i know alot of them are jumpers but a local fish store told me my tank would be ok because its euro braced all around and wrasses swim up the side of tank to jump and would hit brace.i do not want get one to find on floor.is store telling the truth?

The Grizz
02-21-2011, 11:55 PM
My 8'er has a 3" wide euro brace plus a 6" wide center brace and I have had a couple wrasse and a goby floor surf anyway.

staceyd72
02-22-2011, 12:02 AM
No offense to the LFS but they lied to you :sad: If you want to keep a wrasse long-term invest in a cover, preferably a screen one, some may even make it through the screen depending on the size of the openings.

HTH

i am looking to get a wrasse for my tank i know alot of them are jumpers but a local fish store told me my tank would be ok because its euro braced all around and wrasses swim up the side of tank to jump and would hit brace.i do not want get one to find on floor.is store telling the truth?

es355lucille
02-22-2011, 12:20 AM
I have a 140g with eurobracing and our Clown Fairy Wrasse jumped onto the hardwood floor. (height approx 6 feet+)....he lived..but those are lucky jumps. I now have a larger light that covers pretty much all the area of the eurobracing except a small area where my autofeeder is. You can cover the top with black egg crate material.....just don't get it too close to the hot lights! LOL

If you are getting a wrasse check out the one we have.....he is really cool...but I swear there are hundreds of varieties.....Just watch some eat shrimp and snails!!.. Also don't always believe your LFS.....do some research on Canreef and/or the internet. You will learn who to trust over time. :) have fun!

Brad

ponokareefer
02-22-2011, 12:33 AM
I'm sorry to say, but the store is pulling your leg. I have euro bracing and a top, and when I was cleaning my tank with the top off, I lost a wrasse to jumping.

Judy Waytiuk
03-03-2011, 09:18 PM
I agree with all the others-- wrasses jump. period. I have lost about four over the years, even with tank tops almost entirely covered. I lost a firefish that got out through the 1.5 inch by 3 inch hole at the front of the otherwise completely covered euro-braced tank, that I keep open for ease of feeding!