PDA

View Full Version : Advise from rox carbon users please.

andestang
02-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Just looking to see what people are doing when using the rox carbon. I'm ready to use my first batch of it and being such fine stuff I know it will work through the sponge on my TLF reactor. I was thinking of a small mesh bag in the canister but kinda defeats the purpose of the canster and allowing it to tumble around. Don't need it floating around or getting into pumps and such.

Snappy
02-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Just looking to see what people are doing when using the rox carbon. I'm ready to use my first batch of it and being such fine stuff I know it will work through the sponge on my TLF reactor. I was thinking of a small mesh bag in the canister but kinda defeats the purpose of the canster and allowing it to tumble around. Don't need it floating around or getting into pumps and such.
I run mine in a large phosban reactor, if you need one let me know. :wink:

cwatkins
02-21-2011, 08:04 PM
I have the exact same issue in my TLF reactor. I even doubled up the top sponges and still get little carbon pieces making it into the display.

I have it on really slow tomble right now to prevent this but I don't think I'm getting the flow I should be.

Willito
02-21-2011, 08:46 PM
IME, ROX carbon is a powerful absorbant and very effective at soaking up pollutants. It does wonders for the reef if you use it properly. I've been using for a few years in a mesh bag hovering just above my return pump. The trick is to massage and rinse the bag once a week under tap water. This will wash away bacteria and build-ups that bonds to the bag and carbon and inhibiting it from peak performance. I use roughly 100ml on my 120g system and change it out every two weeks. IMO, unless your system is 180g or bigger, using such small amount it in a reactor is overkill.

lastlight
02-22-2011, 12:48 AM
I stole some foam inserts from some of the replaceable di cartridges o ha for my brs dual reactor. I run Gfo and rox each in their own TLF 150 with double mesh on each. About 2 inches of foam and it's rare to see any escape now.