PDA

View Full Version : new 120g reef

mraquatics
02-21-2011, 06:29 PM
hey guys, new to the hobby and to the site just want to say hi to everyone!

so i just purchased a 120g 4x2x2 with a aquatic life 6 bulb t5 light i didnt purchase a sump because i already have 110 fowlr going for about 6 months now. my question is would it be a good idea to run my 120 with my 110, or purchase a separet sump and leave them as two separate tanks. thanx

Tony

Palmer
02-21-2011, 07:28 PM
In my opinion its just about efficiency verses contingency. Running individual set ups increases the cost considerably since there is so much stuff to buy that you could leverage between the two. Of course that depends on whether you have equipment that is rated for the additional water volume. Having them all on the same system leverages your initial investment and probably decreases maintenance but if you ever want to isolate something or treat something etc you dont have a separate system to do this in... This is at least what I thought of when planning my frag tank add on. I am planning on linking into my main system since in my case I think the economic benefit outweighs the contingency.

mraquatics
02-21-2011, 08:51 PM
i would be saving some money now, but in the long run its going to cost me. I could see a nitrate problem in the future with all that waste flowing through a single 30g wet/dry trickle system, my euro is already pulling 3/4 of a cup every 2 weeks. im going to surf the net and see my options, dont want to let this setup go to waist.