PDA

View Full Version : How I converted my Copperbands to dry food

Reef Pilot
02-21-2011, 02:13 PM
I have had my new Copperbands almost 4 weeks now in my refugium. They are doing well, and just this last week got them eating dry food.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fQjAZjafxM

reefwars
02-21-2011, 02:17 PM
well done mate they are looking like they are loving the feast;)

keep up the good work!!!!:):)

don.ald
02-21-2011, 02:20 PM
good job. what dry foods are they eating? type and brand?

Reef Pilot
02-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks Reefwars. Hope you are enjoying being back on the Rock. Wife and I visited there many years ago, and really enjoyed it and the people.

Don, thanks for the comment. So far have them eating Omega One Freeze Dried Mysis (60% protein and added vitamins), and San Francisco Bay Plankton (68% protein). Last few seconds of the video show the food.

Reef Pilot
03-06-2011, 06:54 PM
I tried again removing the divider in my QT tank to see if they might get along. But no dice. They're fine as long as the divider is there, but as soon as it is removed the bigger one on the right goes after the smaller one. So I have resigned myself that I will have to keep them separated from here on.

My next challenge then was to trap my Yellow Tang so I can move one of the Copperbands to the big display tank. I finally managed to do that, and now have the bigger Copperband in the display tank and the Yellow Tang in the QT tank.

The good news is that none of other fish in the display tank show any aggression towards the Copperband. However, he is still very shy and keeps to one corner of the tank. And unfortunately, having trouble getting him to eat again, as the other fish quickly eat the food before he can get to it. And he won't go near the surface of the tank.

So have started feeding him with a turkey baster, and if I squirt the food near enough to him, he does get a few scraps before the other fish get it. It seems to be working, as he is starting to learn that there is good stuff coming out of that turkey baster, and moves towards it when I stick it down in the water. But feeding him this way is a real pain, and going through a lot of food, just so he gets a few scraps.

It's only been a couple days in the display tank for the Copperband, and hopefully I can get him successfully eating again. He was doing very well in the QT tank, so at least he is not thin and starving.

Meanwhile, looks like I have a surplus Copperband, feeding well and happy on his side of the divider in the QT tank. When I put the Yellow Tang back into the display tank, he will have the whole QT tank to himself.

But in the end, I don't really need 2 Copperbands, so not sure what I will do with him

Delphinus
03-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Interesting to see both of them after the dry food although if it's dried mysis maybe that has an edge over things like flake and pellets. Still neat idea though. What is the capsule, is that an old film canister?

trilinearmipmap
03-06-2011, 08:06 PM
You could try making an obstacle/divider system that has holes only big enough for the smaller one to get through. Lots of times I have had fish with aggression issues that settled down over time. It is possible that they could become compatible with each other, as long as the smaller one has a safe place of refuge.

Reef Pilot
03-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Interesting to see both of them after the dry food although if it's dried mysis maybe that has an edge over things like flake and pellets. Still neat idea though. What is the capsule, is that an old film canister?
It is a medical capsule similar to the old film canisters. I have tried flake and pellets, but so far not successful. I do mix a couple flakes in with the dried mysis and plankton sometimes, and the Copperband has taken it by mistake, but quickly spits it out. Need to find the right flake I guess. Too bad they don't make a mysis flake.

Reef Pilot
03-06-2011, 10:35 PM
You could try making an obstacle/divider system that has holes only big enough for the smaller one to get through. Lots of times I have had fish with aggression issues that settled down over time. It is possible that they could become compatible with each other, as long as the smaller one has a safe place of refuge.
Yeah, I never thought of that. It would be pretty easy to cut out a small corner of the egg crate. The smaller one is only maybe an inch or less smaller, so might be hard to get the right hole size, though. However, I now have the bigger one in my large display tank, so it's a moot point now.

ALang
03-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Maybe try the cyclopeese flakes and freeze-dried?

Reef Pilot
03-07-2011, 01:15 AM
Maybe try the cyclopeese flakes and freeze-dried?
Thanks. Not familiar with these, but will look for them next time I visit a fish shop.

Wanderer
03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
nice job, very cool to watch

(I know that Glucometer test strips come in such a container as i see that packaging every day)