PDA

View Full Version : Pumps too powerful?

wehtam
02-21-2011, 03:49 AM
Hey guys. Have a RSM130, with two maxijet1200. Wondering if they are too powerful cause when I turn them both on the water level drops and there is a ton of air bubbles coming through. Iv tried to add water but then the level in the display gets too high... And tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, mat

Edit: nevermind. Changed the media filter and all seems well...

Wayne
02-21-2011, 04:00 AM
Are the pumps touching the top of the water resulting in air bubbles? Maybe a picture might help...

Reef-Geek
02-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Hey guys. Have a RSM130, with two maxijet1200. Wondering if they are too powerful cause when I turn them both on the water level drops and there is a ton of air bubbles coming through. Iv tried to add water but then the level in the display gets too high... And tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, mat

Edit: nevermind. Changed the media filter and all seems well...

Yes 2 mj1200 are too powerful, Two Mj 900 should be ok and I recommend to use 2 eheims 600

ElGuappo
02-21-2011, 11:16 AM
are you still running the filter pads????get rid of them if you are.... also lose the media under the pumps and use a small amount of rubble instead....

the bag of media under the pumps is a detrius trap and it really slows the flow down... so does the white polishing pad above the carbon.... also you could try to remove the gate on the overflow....

the problem with the rsm is that the returns are placed too high... you could also try to extend the intake on the maxi jets farther down so its drawing water form the bottom instead of nearly surface level...

i had a rsm for almost 2 years and finally grew to love the thing...

just saw your edit... i stand by what i said... get rid of the media in the return section..

es355lucille
02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
+1 on what ElGuappo says. Owned one of these tanks myself.....was a great little tank.

wehtam
02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
are you still running the filter pads????get rid of them if you are.... also lose the media under the pumps and use a small amount of rubble instead....

the bag of media under the pumps is a detrius trap and it really slows the flow down... so does the white polishing pad above the carbon.... also you could try to remove the gate on the overflow....

the problem with the rsm is that the returns are placed too high... you could also try to extend the intake on the maxi jets farther down so its drawing water form the bottom instead of nearly surface level...

i had a rsm for almost 2 years and finally grew to love the thing...

just saw your edit... i stand by what i said... get rid of the media in the
return section..

I have the "In Tank" media rack. That has 3 levels; top has the filter pad, middle has carbon and the bottom has roa-phos.

There is nothing under the pumps except a couple pieces of rubble. Should j stil remove the filter pad or just change it out more often?