PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI automatic shutoffs

Wayne
02-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Ok well I have flooded my kitchen for the last time :redface: I want a automatic RO water shutoff. I just watched the BRS video which answered a lot of my questions... But how do you mount your float valve in your bucket so that you can still get your water?

TIA

Wayne
02-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Ok so with a little more research I think I want an electric solenoid which I will power with a timer. Timer set with the appropriate time to fill my bucket :biggrin:

Anyone use cheaper solenoids? (ie $15 ebay ones) When they fail do they fail in the on or off position? Also if there are local suppliers that would be nice because sooner than later would be nice :lol:

24storm
02-21-2011, 04:35 PM
This is what i have been using for a couple of years now works great no over flows and Golds here in Calgary sells them. Once the pressure builds it turns the RO unit off.

Auto Shut-Off Valve Float Kits

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_alc_p4.htm

Wayne
02-21-2011, 04:43 PM
How do you have your float valve setup in your product water container?

24storm
02-21-2011, 04:50 PM
I use UFA storage containers and i drilled a hole at the top of it for the float to go into. So then when the water level gets to where you want it the float closes the trickle of water and the pressure builds in the line and once the pressure gets to a certain point the RO unit shuts off. Then when the water level drops in the storage container the float drops opening the water trickle again. Hope this explains it.

My RO unit is always turned on has been for over 2 years but as soon as my storage container fills up each time it shuts the RO unit off automatically. Very handy thing never an over flow and i always have RO water ready.

Wayne
02-21-2011, 05:00 PM
How do you pour your water out of your container? Do you unscrew your float valve? Or is your containers big enough that you just have a hole in the bottom with pipe?

24storm
02-21-2011, 05:05 PM
My containers are very large 60 gallons and 80 gallons so i have pumps hooked up to them to pump the water out. No pails just switches and valves. I can change 80 gallons of water in 10 mins and never stick my hand in water its great.

es355lucille
02-21-2011, 05:07 PM
You have all the gagets Keith! You know how many times I have ran over my RO system?? Too many times!! I like the way yours works. You showed me a pressure guage on yours.....did you just buy that separate and install?

This is what i have been using for a couple of years now works great no over flows and Golds here in Calgary sells them. Once the pressure builds it turns the RO unit off.

Auto Shut-Off Valve Float Kits

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_alc_p4.htm

Wayne
02-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Unfotunatly I am in a small condo so I have a water jug under the sink which I use for my top offs... I don't really want to invest in a more permanent water container because I only plan on living here for another year or so.

When I am in a house I think a setup much like yours would be sweet :lol:

brizzo
02-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Been a long while since I lurked onto here!

Just last night I built a new setup for turning off my RO/DI

I used an irrigation valve (12v), a standard electric float switch, 12v/15a relay, 12v wall wart, and a 'hang on tank' pump mount that came with a rio pump at some point in time. Only trouble was buying the proper sized bushing to reduce the 3/4" irrigation valve down to 1/4" fittings.

If you want some pics of my setup to better understand, just ask :)

hillegom
02-21-2011, 05:58 PM
You could install that float valve into a 5 gal bucket and run it overnight. After checking it run once during daylight when you were there.lol

Pescador
02-21-2011, 06:11 PM
You could install the float valve in your bucket and use a John Guest valve and fittings so you can just unplug it, pour your water out then plug it back in.