PDA

View Full Version : reefwars 55g natural seawater custom build from scratch:*check out the new rockscape*

reefwars
02-20-2011, 08:57 PM
so after all that here i am again starting another build, i sold off all my stuff and kept some little things here and there to start another tank.some hard times seen me have to move back home and knowing i probably would pay out the azzzzz for a tank here on the rock i decided to take some glass home with me and build my own tank from scratch;)

the tank i have choosen to build is a 55 gallon cube 23.5" all around it is drilled for a herbie using 1 1/2" and 1" plumbing.the tank is all polished and beveled edges.it will have a diy stand which i will build and i will also be building a diy sump from a large bin(keeping my eyes out for something that will fit)the sump will be pretty basic and pretty much just a giant refuge.not sure if im going to run a skimmer ...short term ..no long term....yes.i have kept my halides and my ballast good for 3 x 250w halides and 4x 54w t5's so ill add some later for my frag tanks right from the same ballast:):)the tank will eventualy run full zeo but that will be down the road once we mature a bit and get stocked:)

i was able to buy 5 pieces of glass which i wrapped like no tomorrow lol the glass was 24" x 24" x 12mm i had one of the pieces cut to fit for the bottom and drilled in three places in the bottom for a herbie style silent overflow. i placed the glass into two packages one with 3 panes and another with 2 panes and a piece of black acrylic....wrapped in bubble wrap then in 1" styrofaom...bubble wrapped again lol and covered in cardboard.....then put wrapping plastic around like you wouldnt believe lol:):) by taking it on the plane with me i didnt have to pay for shipping:):)

glad to say it all made it down no problems at all...........

not so glad to say i broke it when fitting it together dry here at home...knoched a fine chunk off the corner:(

so i went and got a replacement piece which was half the cost of what i payed for everything in the first place:( and after getting it i realized i gave him the wrong measurements.......i had origionally planned the tank a different way and gave the guy those measurements instead of the new measurements i had made that day:( just a great start eh lol my own fault for reading him the measurements and not looking at the drawing ...grrr

sooooooo now i have a new project two pieces of glass need to have 1" taken off them in order to keep my cube shape......i wont settle for an uneven cube lol so it was off to the workroom and to set up the wet saw and with a little luck i would just cut it off;)

glad to say it worked like a charm and was just as smooth as what the glass guy had cut for my bottom piece .....whew that was a relief lol:):)

so today i started putting the puzzle together and with some alcohol(not the drinking kind lol) some tape,level,square,clamps,paper i got to building my cube....glad to say it all worked out great and the tank is now in one piece waiting for the silicone to cure.......two weeks to be safe before i touch it again or think about adding water:):)

i will be installing a coast to coast overflow with privacy glass so as not to see the plumbing and i have the returns being split into two via loc-lines which i took home with me:) retrn is 600gph

i also decided to take live rock home with me as its 11.99/lb here on the rock so i have about 35-45 lbs and will be buying another 50lbs from eco reefer i have it curing now in a bucket as each individual piece spent 12 hrs wrapped it wet newpaper and then wrapped in bubble wrap and wrapping plastic then boxed and shipped down....also free from the plane;) all the rock came from my zoa tank and was full of life when i sent it so alot should have been preserved;)

ill be using natural seawater for this tank and constantly checking to see what needs to be dosed as ive heard its not very consistent;) im living in a very remote location where sewers or anything man made isnt an issue....pure ocean here baby!!!!!! plus im only about 200 ft from the water lol:):)

not sure what im going to stock just yet obviousy if you know me it will be a zoa dominated cube plus some other goodies:):)

theres a phase two to this tank which is the fragtanks and yes i said tanks lol once i choose what skimmer i will run i will be running 4 x fragtanks none of them huge but most likey in the 40g breeder range.....ill have to make them too as it seems the prices here are out of whack lol but once i get my cube running and matured a bit ill be building some frag tanks in a bookcase style fashion one over the other and it will sit beside my cube......the basement its in is unfinished and we are talking about doing a fishroom so im not 100% certain of how im going to do this but if i go the fishroom route then it will be alot easier to plumb with alot of crap out of the way;)

ill be adding some pics in abit as soon as they upload to show where i am in the build and i have a video as well of me and my friend cutting the glass through the wet saw if anyone wants to see how simple it is:):)

cheers guys and tell me what you think??;) pics very very soon:):)

fishoholic
02-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Sounds like you've had an interesting adventure so far, can't wait to see pic.'s of your new set up. Hope all is well with you :biggrin: BTW now that you've moved you should change location in your user profile :wink:

paddyob
02-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Question...

So knowing that sea water varies around the world... are you actually sure that it is suitable for tropical species of fish? Our ocean water seems very different from say... Australia/Hawaii... so just curious. I have never heard of this in Canada... only in warmer climates.

Pics yet?

reefwars
02-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Question...

So knowing that sea water varies around the world... are you actually sure that it is suitable for tropical species of fish? Our ocean water seems very different from say... Australia/Hawaii... so just curious. I have never heard of this in Canada... only in warmer climates.

Pics yet?

theres quite a few on this side doing it by this side i mean atlantic ocean, from what i gather salinity is a little low as my water was only at 1.020 and alot of stuff may need to be dosed but ill soon know enough, so far ive only tested for phosphates and amonia .i have some rock curing now in a bucket and ill actually do a full on test here soon but i figure ill have to add a little bit of everything....salt here is very expensive and the savings of not buying it is worth it to dose for the sake of 5-10g a week:)

im going to have to use the small skimmer i have now(just a crappy wei-pro to skim my sea water before i use it in my tank....probably gonna use prime as well......good idea anyone??

for the first while ill be testing all new water constantly for everything untill i can get an idea of what is real low or high:):)

reefwars
02-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Sounds like you've had an interesting adventure so far, can't wait to see pic.'s of your new set up. Hope all is well with you :biggrin: BTW now that you've moved you should change location in your user profile :wink:

thanks laurie glad to say i survived the flight...barely lol worst flight ever lol

im happy with the new build so far but it seems like ive got my work cut out for me as theres not a whole lot of places to get the things i need :)

thanks for the profile tip ill be changing here right away lol but i did get my sig shortened to the point where its not crashing the canreef forumn anymore because of its size lol:):):):)

reefwars
02-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Question...

Pics yet?

pics are being uploaded to photobucket right now should be done soon and the video will be on tomorrow as youtube is sooooo slow on uploading vids lol:):)

thanks for the interest guys :) miss you all:):)

Flash
02-20-2011, 10:34 PM
YAY!!! DENNY!!! glad you're back!!! PICS DAMNIT

Skimmerking
02-20-2011, 11:10 PM
So change your location to NEWFOUNDLAND, don't pretend that you are in ALberta shame on you

Rogue951
02-20-2011, 11:24 PM
So change your location to NEWFOUNDLAND, don't pretend that you are in ALberta shame on you

I was just going to say, where the hell is there ocean in alberta?!?!....
I almost felt like an american for a second.
That was distressing.....

Wayne
02-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Awesome news Denny! To bad for the airline for cracking your glass especially how well you packaged it. I guess it could have been worse though :wink:

Good luck with the sea water, can you just order salt for cheaper? Set up some sort of group buy maybe...

reefwars
02-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Awesome news Denny! To bad for the airline for cracking your glass especially how well you packaged it. I guess it could have been worse though :wink:

Good luck with the sea water, can you just order salt for cheaper? Set up some sort of group buy maybe...

unfortunately it was me who broke the glass lol never really broke right across just a little bit off the corner but when i put it all together theres a good inch missing from the corner so i didnt want to take any chances and made anotherplus it would have looked like crap lol;)

im sure i could order salt for cheaper as alot of the stuff i buy will be online anyways but im doing it as my own little project as well:) ill make the decision as the first corals are going in whether or not i stay with it or not:):)

as far as fish go as you all know....not much of a fish fan lol so im not sure yet what ill add prob just a clown or two and some shrimp:):)

reefwars
02-21-2011, 01:06 AM

yes asmodeus sir!! (in my loudest military voice) hehe getting right on it ;)

Doug
02-21-2011, 01:16 AM
i did get my sig shortened to the point where its not crashing the canreef forumn anymore because of its size lol:):):):)

:lol: So noted.

Good luck with the new build. :smile:

reefwars
02-21-2011, 01:21 AM
requested by popular demand here are some pics here is the glass in is raw not put together form before i cut it;)

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00753.jpg?t=1298254188

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00754.jpg?t=1298254188

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00756.jpg?t=1298254188

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00757.jpg?t=1298254188

here is a dry put together to make sure it was all square and cut right at this point ive cut my glass already and have it all cleaned up :)

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00760.jpg?t=1298254181

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00761.jpg?t=1298254181

glad the bulkheads fit.....whewww!!!!

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00762.jpg?t=1298254181

ooooooooo so pretty!!!!!

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00763.jpg?t=1298254181

side view:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00764.jpg?t=1298254181

sorta top view lol:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00765.jpg?t=1298254181

this is her in all her glory before i sent it to the silicone factory hehehe!!!!:)

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00767.jpg?t=1298254181

more in a few mins so stay tuned;)

reefwars
02-21-2011, 01:35 AM
hummmmm so i guess now its time to get to making the mess lol so i put some paper down and broke out the alcohol i gave all the edges a good cleaning for one final time and i got to glueing......glad to say it came out bubble free and everything was perfectly square....glad i leveled off the table completey before building lol:):)

silicone turned out great i wanted to go black but it cant be got here and i dont want to order it or spend countless hours calling around for who "may" have some thats safe to use in reefs lol so i went with the GE clear:):) once it sets completey ill trim off any excess with a blade and pretty it up but right now in its rawform its looking good to me;)

enough ol gabbing heres the pics ;)

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00822.jpg?t=1298252901

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00823.jpg?t=1298252901

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00824.jpg?t=1298252901

i didnt get any pics of me actually sealing it because i didnt want to get silicone on the camera and i really wanted to just get my glass on and everything done as fast as i could so the silicone didnt skim over......total put together time once i had it all cleaned and paper down.....about 20mins:):)

here is the final stage as its drying now......in a few days ill do a little trimming of some excess silicone and get to installing the overflow which is just a single piece of glass about 4 inches from the back......unsure yet as to whether or not im gonna do a eurobrace....????? any suggestions??

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00826.jpg?t=1298252901

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00827.jpg?t=1298252901

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00828.jpg?t=1298252901

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00829.jpg?t=1298252901

hope you enjoyed it so far more to come shortly plus i have a video of me cutting a full sheet of glass through the wet saw;)

reefwars
02-21-2011, 02:45 AM
heres a link to the vide of us cutting the glass:):)

http://s924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/?action=view&current=IMG_0953.mp4

*****edit****--------should probably add this is not intended for a lesson and wouldnt recommend anyone to do as i do.....im slightly crazy;) so follow at your own risk:)cheers

cheers!!!

Wayne
02-21-2011, 03:34 AM
Sweet pictures! Really nice silicone job :biggrin:

fishoholic
02-21-2011, 03:39 AM
lookin good so far :biggrin: Sorry to hear your flight sucked, but at least you made it.

The Grizz
02-21-2011, 04:03 AM
That didn't take long for you to get back at it, looks good Denny :biggrin:

bignose
02-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Denny where's your PPE? look it's on your hat!:lol:
I knew it wouldn't be long before your return! Great start.

reefwars
02-21-2011, 04:19 AM
Denny where's your PPE? look it's on your hat!:lol:
I knew it wouldn't be long before your return! Great start.

hahaha for the first one was wearing them but like always they dont end up getting used lol youd think after 15yrs of doing construction id be on that but.....nope lol:):) told yee all i was slighly nuts besides if i had of gotten any glass in my eye i just would have picked it out with another piece of glass lol ......:nono:

reefwars
02-21-2011, 04:22 AM
thanks guys, so far its been the cheapest build yet lol im still waiting on some goodies to come in the mail here soon then ill have some more updates:):)

im going to get to building my tiny stand and grabbing some pvc here in the next few days, i have all my fittings and the gate valve needed for the herbie and return just need some pvc lengths to join it all together:):)

bignose
02-21-2011, 05:14 AM
Did you have any skin irritation when you used your hand to wipe the water back into the saw?

reefwars
02-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Did you have any skin irritation when you used your hand to wipe the water back into the saw?

haha nope lol after plaing guitar and drums for around 20 yrs and consruction for 15yrs its safe to say my hands are as tough coraline;)

heres a fun crazy fact about me:

i once ate a handful of fiberglass insulation to show someone it doesnt itch.........yup.......slighlty borderline nuts!! hehehe cheers:)

man i want that zoa colony your selling!!!!! ;);)

jphong
02-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Hey Denny, glad you made it home safely! Its good to see youre making a lot of progress on your tank in such a short time, cant wait to see it running. Take care buddy :)

reefwars
02-24-2011, 07:01 PM
thanks john buddy, glad to have something going even if it is only 60g today im going out shopping for some sort of something to mount my retro fit halide.....shopping for unique lights for a cube is fun!! alot of cool ideas as opposed to your average 4' :):) updates later today!!!

cheers little buddy and thanks for the babysitting favor your a good fellow:):)

ALang
02-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Glad to see that you are good to go, Denny!
No down time, eh?
We're missing your sunshine face and personality at our meetings.
Very best of good luck and cheers!!
Lenny.

reefwars
02-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Glad to see that you are good to go, Denny!
No down time, eh?
We're missing your sunshine face and personality at our meetings.
Very best of good luck and cheers!!
Lenny.

thanks lenny i couldnt not have a tank lol glad to say theres a reefmeet here once a month and i was at my first meeting wednesday night:):)

updates coming later for the cube!!!!! stay tuned and dont change that station!!!!!

jphong
03-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Hey Denny wheres the pics!

The Grizz
03-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Denny what type of blade where you using on the wet saw?

reefwars
03-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Hey Denny wheres the pics!

hahaha funny you should ask as ive gotten all my plumbing supplies today, wasnt easy i tell ya but its all figured out now....so tonight i will fill and test for leaks and then do the plumbng tomorrow.... herbie style overflow.

ill have some pics here right away, ive also built the stand and its now ready for what ever i decide. im thinking just tile nothing too crazy.

ive also got my light ready and its just a retrofit 250w metal halide so im going to mount the light to something cool me and a friend stumbled upon the other day.....its a giant curved leaf about 2' high and metal or steel in color....and is steel lol on the leaf will be mounted a small metal box the same as the leaf is made from and in that box facing down my actual light will go so it will look like the leaf is curved over the tank;) we hit just about every home decor store and department store on the island and took about 1000 pics of different things together before we came up with this;) its gonna lok pretty cool with the stone stand....

pics soonnot much hapened over the past week or so as ive been letting the tank harden so tonight i fill for a test:):) cheers:)

reefwars
03-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Denny what type of blade where you using on the wet saw?

just your standard diamond blade, gold series at home depot for $20 .......nothing fancy ;)

abcha0s
03-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Hey - The tank looks great so far. I'm jumping on early so I don't have to catch up later :smile:

reefwars
03-18-2011, 09:01 PM
edit****

sorry gonna repost as my pics didnt upload....stay tuned;)

reefwars
03-18-2011, 10:29 PM
the number of pictures retrictions on this site is f ing stupid....two hours typing up **** and 60 pics and cant upload it.....bullshit!!!

p.s- to the maker of apple computers i am going to seriously burn my laptop in the woodstove tonight!! lol:):)

jphong
03-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Hey Denny use photobucket and just give us the link to the album, itll make your life a little easier :)

reefwars
03-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Hey Denny use photobucket and just give us the link to the album, itll make your life a little easier :)[/QUOTE]

yeah i use photobucket but i didnt put the link down i guess thats what ill have to do it just rots me that i spent hours typing up this stuff and it tells me i have 60 pics on there when i only had less than thirty but apparently it counts the " img" as a image plus any smiles so .....giant waste of time ....i tried splitting it up into 2 posts and i get nothing but question marks for my pics...grrr!!!

anyways heres the links if anyone wants to view through ....

http://s924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/

paddyob
03-18-2011, 11:29 PM
the number of pictures retrictions on this site is f ing stupid....two hours typing up **** and 60 pics and cant upload it.....bullshit!!!

p.s- to the maker of apple computers i am going to seriously burn my laptop in the woodstove tonight!! lol:):)

In mac's defence.... maybe its the user? Strong NF moonshine perhaps?

Lol.

reefwars
03-18-2011, 11:42 PM
In mac's defence.... maybe its the user? Strong NF moonshine perhaps?

Lol.

hahaha its def the user lol i do ike it im just use to windows lol you wouldnt believe how long it took me to even figure out how to copy and paste stuff:):)

nlreefguy
03-19-2011, 01:49 AM
haha.... my boss has this saying whenever there's a computer problem. He calls it a PIC problem, as in Problem In Chair!

reefwars
03-24-2011, 08:50 PM
hey guys so i have a quick up date , ive went and did all my water tests but i cant find one around here for mg so ill have to hope for the best untill i can order one soon.

before i supplemented with instant ocean my water was as follows and this is natural seawater with me doing nothing but raising the temp.

salinity- 1.012
amonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 0-5
phos-0
alk-7
cal-380
mg-???

as the salt was only at .012 i had to add some so i added instant ocean it was the only salt available to me here and after i added the salt this is where i stood.

salinity-1.025
amonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0-5
phos-0
alk-9
calcium-460
mg-????(im assuming around where it should be)

today i started to run carbon in the tank and added a handfull of established sand to my refuge to kick start the bacteria into reproducing.

ive also added a couple yellow tail chromis as my tester fish and will be monitoring them closely over the next week or two. so far they seem very happy and are eating some flke food soaked in garlic. they were also very healthy looking and i got the two i thought were most active and responsive.within minutes after acclimation they were swimming about and eager for food and attention.they come to the top alot looking for flake so i believe they are familiar with people.

to help on the build up cost i am bying a tank from some one here locally its a 55g with all kinds of goodies including 75-100 lbs of live rock .....350 but a 7 hr drive so i will be taking lots of rubber maids with me and a heaters/ powerheads.....there are only two fish and no corals so im not worried to muc about casualties. the cost of the rock i need from an lfs is more then it is to buy this whole set up so i figured tim to start playing it smart;);)

the pet store here has also agreed to get me some mangroves as i noticed they had some on stash out back but the are not for sale and after some begging he has agreed to order me in a bunch with their next order.....:) sweet so now i will be plumbing a mangrove trough into the tank and toilet sump:):)

heres the pics hope you enjoy:)

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC00998.jpg?t=1300999418

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01009.jpg?t=1300999513

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01004.jpg?t=1300999418

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01014.jpg?t=1300999513

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01010.jpg?t=1300999513

jphong
03-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Its good to see it coming together Denny, love the black sand

reefwars
03-25-2011, 01:06 AM
thanks john shes a slow progress but its coming together, i have the stand enclosed now and im gonna start looking for some cool stone work for the shell. both fish are really doing awesome and i have a pile of stuff coming soon from another set up.

im gonna try my hand at a diy reactor and a diy fragtank now the once and my roomate is setting up her own tank she will use the 55g im buying next week and start from there.....

i also have something really really cool cooking up, my roomates mom has an old fishplant bin its about 6 ' cube and is sealed tight i want to cut it down in height to around 24" and set it up some how lol :):) hehehehe

would go small rays if i did:)

Capt_kulafu
03-25-2011, 05:26 PM
nice setup denny

lastlight
03-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Nice to see you salty again =)

Now just imagine the resale value if you made a steel stand and new canopy? Just sayin :lol:

hippo!
03-25-2011, 05:45 PM
looking good Denny.

I have a Sal. mag test kit if you wanna borrow...it's past exp. by a month but should still be good..

reefwars
03-25-2011, 07:45 PM
looking good Denny.

I have a Sal. mag test kit if you wanna borrow...it's past exp. by a month but should still be good..

thanks friend, im going to be placing an online order soon and i will get one then but if it turns out to be a long time then i will def take you up on that:):)

wouldnt mind coming to see your set up here one of these nights too , nice to get some feedback from those here who have them running already:):)

cheers buddy:)

reefwars
03-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Nice to see you salty again =)

Now just imagine the resale value if you made a steel stand and new canopy? Just sayin :lol:

nice to finally have a set up that hasnt cost me a fortune or constant planning thats for sure , but i have some plans for growing the system bigger so we will see how that goes and ill have to learn to budget a little better:)

today im enclosing the sump around and building a stand for my roomates tank all the tanks will be one huge system sharing the same sump,refuge and mangrove trough. then i will be putting some sort of stone or tile around it all and then we are gona do the room its self with a nice couch and lots of plants plus all my guitar crap lol:):)

reefwars
03-25-2011, 07:50 PM
nice setup denny

thanks little buddy the cube is slowly growing on me as im starting to enjoy the design, how ever i know a much larger tank will be built as soon as this one and the room is done:):) cheers!!:)

nlreefguy
03-25-2011, 10:55 PM
nice to finally have a set up that hasnt cost me a fortune or constant planning thats for sure , but i have some plans for growing the system bigger so we will see how that goes and ill have to learn to budget a little better:)

today im enclosing the sump around and building a stand for my roomates tank all the tanks will be one huge system sharing the same sump,refuge and mangrove trough. then i will be putting some sort of stone or tile around it all and then we are gona do the room its self with a nice couch and lots of plants plus all my guitar crap lol:):)

you're going to be placing an online order soon? Let us know when , will you Denny? then we can get in on it too! I'd love to come down and see your setup some time soon. I'm really interested in your mangrove trough - it's something I've been interested in for a long time too.

The rums are on me tonight that's for sure... I had to correct my spelling like 100 times for sure! God help you all if you had to read my original post!

reefwars
03-26-2011, 02:29 AM
you're going to be placing an online order soon? Let us know when , will you Denny? then we can get in on it too! I'd love to come down and see your setup some time soon. I'm really interested in your mangrove trough - it's something I've been interested in for a long time too.

The rums are on me tonight that's for sure... I had to correct my spelling like 100 times for sure! God help you all if you had to read my original post!

yes im hoping to be placing one here soon with oceans direct and anyone can get in on it i wouldnt mind at all, i was talking to them a while ago and they said they could do it easily:) they are in need of updating their site though so ill have to get them to give me a list of what they have:)

and i was given a handful of sand from a friend yesterday fred but thanks anyways , its funny i didnt even know he had a tank untill he seen i was building one lol then i wasnt long hitting him up:)

reefwars
03-26-2011, 02:33 AM

i love the mangroves and ive seen a few set ups with a " trough" so im interested in building one my self, they have them at pets unlimited but wont sell them and i was talking with the gu there and he said he is ordering an order in the first week of april and if i want he will call me just before he places his order and he will order me what i want......i bugged alot lol :) he can get them with leaves or without:)

if i had to guess i would say not all that cheap though:)

nlreefguy
03-26-2011, 09:26 AM
yes im hoping to be placing one here soon with oceans direct and anyone can get in on it i wouldnt mind at all, i was talking to them a while ago and they said they could do it easily:) they are in need of updating their site though so ill have to get them to give me a list of what they have:)

and i was given a handful of sand from a friend yesterday fred but thanks anyways , its funny i didnt even know he had a tank untill he seen i was building one lol then i wasnt long hitting him up:)

yeah, no worries about the sand - glad you got some. Will you shoot me a PM or something when you get the updated list from Oceans Direct? I'd be interested in a few things...

hippo!
03-26-2011, 07:03 PM
add me in on the oceans order if you have room....like to pick up a frog or torch if he has any on hand

cheers

hippo!
03-26-2011, 07:07 PM
thanks friend, im going to be placing an online order soon and i will get one then but if it turns out to be a long time then i will def take you up on that:):)

wouldnt mind coming to see your set up here one of these nights too , nice to get some feedback from those here who have them running already:):)

cheers buddy:)

just let me know if needed.....and you're welcome to drop by anytime, well as long as I'm home lol

cheers!

Wayne
03-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Nice to see some fish Denny! Awesome progress, tank looks great!

reefwars
03-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Nice to see some fish Denny! Awesome progress, tank looks great!

thanks wayne buddy:)

reefwars
03-29-2011, 02:21 PM
so after a couple days my two fish are doing great, the very day i put them in i also added 2 lbs of rock it was a very nice shape so i really wanted it but that and the addition of the fish sparked a very small amonia spike but im glad to say it was gone the next day so my liverock is doing its job and the fish are always out and about. their colours are getting really bright alot more so then at the lfs .

i also added two small frags for testing out my water i added a small ricordia mushroom ,very bright orange and blue ...ive never had any bright rics before only brownish and green ones so im not sure what kind it is .i also picked up a zoa frag its about 30 heads of an ugly blueish brown but its a start.

once these guys do good for a bit i will think about placing an order for some nicer and bigger things:)

heres some newer pics i staind the plywood for now untill i decide to do the outside or as soon as funds will allow lol:)

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01030.jpg?t=1301407902

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01032.jpg?t=1301407902

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01037.jpg?t=1301407902
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01038.jpg?t=1301407902
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01044.jpg?t=1301408106
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01043.jpg?t=1301408106
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01053.jpg?t=1301408223
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01054.jpg?t=1301408223

reefwars
04-04-2011, 11:19 PM
so picked up a tank from someone, came with a 50g tank and all the goodies to run it plus around 80lbs of liverock and an enormous clown.i picked out the rock i wanted and gave the rest to my roomate who is setting up the 50g for herself. both tanks are now running and the clown is in my cubetank. the clown had been in the guys tank for 11yrs(apparently as i got my doubts) and is just huge im guessing around 5-7 inchs.

heres some pics of the new rockwork and the new clown, on a sadder note one of my chromis has kicked the can this morning, the other chromis had been picking on him and he woudnt eat and now with this huge clown in there he was stressed and scared untill he died......so long yellow beard!!!

my roomate has too big of a heart for this hobby me thinks lol she made a tiny wooden casket from paint sticks and super glue and buried the little fella...my way was to harsh she said ;)

again heres some more pics:):)

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01098.jpg?t=1301956541

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01100.jpg?t=1301956541

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01103.jpg?t=1301956541

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01112.jpg?t=1301956582

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01114.jpg?t=1301956582

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/60g%20custom%20build/DSC01104.jpg?t=1301956541

noirsphynx
04-05-2011, 02:27 AM
LOVE IT Denny!!!!

fishoholic
04-05-2011, 02:32 AM
Looks good Denny, I like the rockscape :biggrin:

reefwars
04-05-2011, 03:08 AM
LOVE IT Denny!!!!

Looks good Denny, I like the rockscape :biggrin:

thanks guys ,lots of little caves and ledges for coral was what i was going for took me a long time to get it right and stable. its def different trying to figure out a look in a cube tank that fits without going the usual one stack in the middle.

Delphinus
04-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Yeah, cube scaping is definitely a challenge. I like how this one turned out!! Nice work!

paddyob
04-05-2011, 05:28 PM
It does look pretty nice Denny. Will look fantastic with some coral growth.

My thought though.... you have three sides being touched by your scape. Are you concerned about ease of cleaning any of these?

I like to have three viewing sides and do not care much about the back. Always good to be able to see whats going on "behind the scenes".