PDA

View Full Version : New Era 8 Week Flake Food Review

Zoaelite
02-20-2011, 06:01 PM
After a little research Michael from aqua digital was nice enough to let me take the complete New Era system for a test ride on my 170g mixed reef. I was attracted to the system because of its claimed simplicity, quality and ability to reduce pollutants by prevent leaching and rapid degradation of feeds to complement recirculated filtration systems.

As I'm a full time student frozen foods and the thaw time required make it difficult to feed in the morning, for anyone who's in similar situation the claim of nutritional completeness and ease makes this product a good choice.

As my fish are currently all healthy I hope to assess the product in terms of how easy the fish swap over to it. As there are so many variables to proper fish health this review is more geared towards how easily the fish swap from frozen to flake.

The system consists of 4 different flake foods fed on different intervals over a 8 week time period to increase nutritional diversity. For the first 4 weeks a mix of the Marine and Herbivore flake are utilized followed by 2 weeks of Aegis Type 1 and then two weeks of Aegis Type 2.

Zoaelite
02-20-2011, 06:07 PM
I received the product in the mail a couple days ago, today will be my first opportunity to start the swap over. I really appreciate the packaging, the containers masterfully seal up ensuring freshness for an optimal time.

Current list of fish:
2 False Percs
1 Long Fin Flasher Wrasse
1 Purple Velvet Fairy Wrasse
1 Yellow Corris Wrasse
1 Potters Dwarf Angel
1 Hawaiian Flame Back Dwarf Angel
1 Tail Spot Blenny
1 Copperband Butterfly
1 Yellow Tang
1 Orange Socket Tang

Zoaelite
03-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Well after feeding for a couple days I can say I'm pretty impressed, in all honesty the fish wouldn't touch the stuff right off the bat (Little spoiled piggers on frozen :razz:) but after a couple of days of mixing there all going after it.

I'm currently feeding a mix of both the Marine and Herb flake soaked in garlic gaurd, my copperband even seems to enjoy the stuff (Who would of thought a Copperband would touch flake...).

I will update again in a few weeks when I swap to the next step.

I'm also happy to say that between the swap from frozen and new bulbs in my fixture all the Cyano I was getting has disapeared.

fishytime
03-01-2011, 02:30 AM
cool to hear about the copperband Levi.....I had a customer at the shop tell me on the w/e that he has been feeding it to his predator tank and even fish like his cuda and grouper are eating the flake:surprise:.....

Delphinus
03-01-2011, 04:17 AM
This stuff comes in a flake? Dang, will have to watch for that. I got the pellets and it's well received but I'm sure flake would be appreciated by the few smaller fish I've got.

Are you doing that whole Aegis thing from New Era or just the regular feeds? I've been meaning to read up on the Aegis cycle but haven't quite gotten around to that yet.

freezetyle
03-18-2011, 05:20 PM
updates?

Zoaelite
03-19-2011, 08:37 PM
This stuff comes in a flake? Dang, will have to watch for that. I got the pellets and it's well received but I'm sure flake would be appreciated by the few smaller fish I've got.

Are you doing that whole Aegis thing from New Era or just the regular feeds? I've been meaning to read up on the Aegis cycle but haven't quite gotten around to that yet.

Trying the whole system, will be starting Aegis I within the next few weeks but so far the response to the herbivore/ marine flake has been pretty good.

I kind of cheated and fed a bit of the Aegis and my piggy fish like usual mowed it so I don't forsee any problems.

freezetyle
03-20-2011, 12:00 AM
did you try the pellets at all. For some reason i could not get the tang to eat anything in pellet form.