PDA

View Full Version : wow brown jelly kill fast!

daniella3d
02-19-2011, 01:28 AM
I was looking at my ricordeas 2 days ago and they were shriveled. I thought that was wierd but they seemed ok still.

Yesterday morning some had a bit of brown jelly and by the afternoon I had lost about half of 30 ricordeas.

I took them out of the tank and dipped in Lugol one drop per 100ml and added a full pouch of Furan-2 to 500ml of tank water and left them in that bath for 45 minutes or so.

Today it seem that the brown jelly have not reapear but they are in bad shape! Can't believe the dammage it can inflict and how fast it does. I did another Lugol + Furan-2 dip today for one hour. Still no more sign of brown jelly but some ricordeas are still shriveled. I am guessing that it will take sometime to return to normal if they do survive.

Sad thing, I have a beautiful pink yuma and a yellow florida ricordea :(

The good news is that the lugol and Furan2 seem to have stopped the brown jelly but it's too early to say if they will recover.

If you ever have brown jelly, don't do as I did and wait a few hours to treat. Can't believe how fast that stuff go from one ricordea to another. One ricordea was perfectly healthy in the morning and huge, but by the afternoon was melting away.

For anyone how have this problem, Furan-2 seem to work well, combined with iodine (Lugol). Not sure how long I will have to treat them, but will keep this one for at least 7 day, one dip per day.

Anyone fought that thing with success? and if so, what did you do?

ottoman
02-19-2011, 03:33 AM
I am sorry to hear that. What cause the brown jelly at the first place? Did you add anything new to the tank?

daniella3d
02-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Yes I added some tunicates. Did not take any of the bag water into the tank and took the tunicates out of the water after acclimatation and into the tank without dropping water from the bag but the small amount that was on the the tunicates was enough it seem.

Also I did not disinfect the tunicate because I was afraid to kill them.

I am sorry to hear that. What cause the brown jelly at the first place? Did you add anything new to the tank?

Wayne
02-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Oh wow, I thought brown jelly was a LPS thing :surprise: That's a shame for your Ric's, at least you caught it before you lost ALL of them

daniella3d
02-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Seem that when cought early and treated with Furan-2, they survive. So far so good, no more brown jelly but some are in very bad shape with misisng pieces and a hole in the mouth.

I will see.

Oh wow, I thought brown jelly was a LPS thing :surprise: That's a shame for your Ric's, at least you caught it before you lost ALL of them