PDA

View Full Version : The wonder of aquariums.

Doug
02-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Just thought I should share this and I,m sure most of us are the same. I have been at this for 35 yrs. or so and still sit amazed at the goings on in our tanks.

Perhaps its why we keep at it. :mrgreen:
The other night, just before I went to bed, had one last check of the tank. Lights were out so checked with a flashlight, mostly for the sump and kalk drip.

As I shone the light into the tank, I seen hundreds of baby fish swimming. The clown eggs had just and were still hatching. They have had many broods over their 10yrs. so far but I have never seen a hatch.

It was absolutely amazing. Could see their little eyes in the light as they swam around and fought the current. {I soon turned the pumps down, including the return}. Called my wife who also sat there amazed. Funny how something like that can affect you. I sat there for a hour or so just watching them.

Felt sad in a way, knowing what was in store for them. As it was my shrimp were chasing them around. :lol: And my old fool PJ cardinal looked like he was going to burst.

Not sure why, but I removed the filter sock, {lots of rubble ,etc. in sump}, and shut down the skimmer for the night, before turning return back on. Guess in some sort of way I though a few may have a chance in the overflow or sump rubble. :sad: Even fed them some frozen Cyclop-eeze but doubt they could eat it. My bangaii fry once did.

Alas, :cry:, I see none left , unless in the sump hiding. Dont know why they would make it this time. None of the others ever did. Maybe just because I seen these ones.

Anyways, it was an amazing event to me at least, so thought I would post it :smile:

Skimmerking
02-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Wow that is so cool Doug, I wonder if any will make it My male bangi has babies in his mouth:mrgreen:

AquaticFinatic
02-19-2011, 12:10 AM
That's a sweet story thanks for sharing. I guess that's what we all strive for in the end to have a happy tank and some surprises on the way!:wink:

naesco
02-19-2011, 01:25 AM
The sweet part of the story for me is that Doug is older than me.

Seriously, that is why I really like using sand beds and try to encourage new reefers to specifically order fresh live rock or buy live rock from a reefer that is leaving the hobby.
There are all kinds of new stuff I find in the evening scurrying around in the tank that I did not know I had.

It is sad to know the larvae clowns fate especially when you have had a chance to see them as very tiny fish; really cute little guys.

Maybe if we tried to encourage LFS not to import them it would encourage some reefers to bred them for sale.

Doug
02-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Wow that is so cool Doug, I wonder if any will make it My male bangi has babies in his mouth:mrgreen:

Perhaps some Mike. Certainly a better chance than the clown fry.

That's a sweet story thanks for sharing. I guess that's what we all strive for in the end to have a happy tank and some surprises on the way!:wink:

Your welcome.

The sweet part of the story for me is that Doug is older than me.

:lol: To funny Wayne.

By the way, mom & dad were born in an aquarium. :mrgreen:

Reefpins10
02-19-2011, 03:32 AM
A very touching and sad story :cry: My clown are laying their eggs every month and they have been living in my tank for 8 years ... I don't know how many baby fish have been killed in my tank after all those years ? :cry:
Thank you for sharing this story.

daniella3d
02-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Recently I saw the same with with babies of peppermint shrimp. hundreds of them floating in my tank but there was only a few left in the morning and a day later nothing left. It was not because of fish because there was no fish in the aquarium, it was only because of the powerhead killing them as they went through it.

ALang
02-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for sharing...What a chance to see them! I've had my clowns spawned monthly, too, but have never been fortunate enough to see the fry.

es355lucille
02-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Nice to hear your story Doug. Thanks for sharing with us. We too have seen some pretty amazing events go on in our tank at night. My wife and I still spend time at night with flashlights, viewing how the tank changes at night! As your system matures.....well enough said all I can say is amazing!!

Thanks again for your experience Doug.

Brad

Lance
02-19-2011, 04:28 PM
That's pretty cool Doug! Kinda sad at the same time though. It's somehow harder to accept when the fish are doting parents like Clowns. Pelagic spawners, not so much.
Between the Chromis and the Fire Clowns, there is a spawn in my tank every week and I've yet to see a hatch.

Doug
02-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks for sharing...What a chance to see them! I've had my clowns spawned monthly, too, but have never been fortunate enough to see the fry.

Your welcome. Thats the usual for myself also. Eggs there, ready to pop at lights out and then nothing in the morning, no eggs, no fry.

Nice to hear your story Doug. Thanks for sharing with us. We too have seen some pretty amazing events go on in our tank at night. My wife and I still spend time at night with flashlights, viewing how the tank changes at night! As your system matures.....well enough said all I can say is amazing!!

Thanks again for your experience Doug.

Brad

Your welcome Brad. I agree. I can sit and watch little going s on in mine for hours. {when I have time, :lol:}. It never seems to get old.

That's pretty cool Doug! Kinda sad at the same time though. It's somehow harder to accept when the fish are doting parents like Clowns. Pelagic spawners, not so much.
Between the Chromis and the Fire Clowns, there is a spawn in my tank every week and I've yet to see a hatch.

Hey Lance. Got lucky this time I guess. Mom & pop never left their pvc house during the whole thing. Seemed busy though. Not sure what they were doing, unless prepping for another brood. :lol: Yes, it was somewhat sad. Never bothered me much before but guess it was the visual aspect of it this time.

Doug
02-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Well ok. I was joking about their activity as their young were swimming around. They do have another batch hanging from the pipe already. :lol: :lol:

lastlight
02-20-2011, 03:28 AM
Great story Doug! Though it's like watching the video of the turtles heading for the ocean...damn near hopeless. I guess in your case none make it. New tank for them?

Doug
02-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Great story Doug! Though it's like watching the video of the turtles heading for the ocean...damn near hopeless. I guess in your case none make it. New tank for them?

:smile: Thats actually a good description of the event Brett.

Forgot to say that my chalice corals and a couple other lps were pretty bloated looking.

Lance
03-01-2011, 11:06 PM
After reading your story Doug I was determined to see the next hatching of my Fire Clowns spawn. The eggs had turned the silvery colour they do just before hatching so I sat up last night for two hours after lights out. Nothing. Figured tonight for sure. I just went and moved the GBTA's tentacles out of the way to check on them and they're gone. D'oh! Must have hatched out last night after I gave up and went to bed. I always thought the eggs hatch within a couple of hours of darkness; maybe there was still enough ambient light from the TV and kitchen to delay the hatch?

Doug
03-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Aww to bad you missed it Lance. I just got lucky perhaps. Watching this new batch to see if I can do it again. They are still almost black.
My tank light out was 7pm. but room light was on until about 9pm. Guess it was sometimes after 10pm when we seen the hatch. Only light in the room was from the Vortech,s or a bit of ambient light from other rooms.

On a good note I have a couple baby turbo snails crawling around. :D

kobelka
03-01-2011, 11:49 PM
That is awesome. I had seen the same thing one night and decided to try raising a few spawns. I sucessfully raised 3 batches and every day was more awesome than the one before, seeing them rapidly grow. You should give it a try. Its a PITA but it sure was neat. One batch had 400 successful babies.

Doug
03-02-2011, 12:53 AM
That is awesome. I had seen the same thing one night and decided to try raising a few spawns. I sucessfully raised 3 batches and every day was more awesome than the one before, seeing them rapidly grow. You should give it a try. Its a PITA but it sure was neat. One batch had 400 successful babies.

Wow. Congrats on that. I keep thinking of it. I had a pair of mated Cinnamon,s that I gave a friend and we had a go at one of those batches. He had a good small set up for them and fed them baby food he had purchased someplace. They were actually doing pretty well until one of his dogs when in for a look, {by himself}, and accidentally unplugged the little tank. Needless to say they never lasted long enough for him to notice in time.

Dont have the room to really do it now. I did when I had my house and the 225g tank and fish room.

The again, what the heck would I do with the young. Certainly not enough market here for them.

I do believe one of our BC members does raise young successfully as I can remember seeing his threads.

Doug
03-07-2011, 10:53 PM
WOW. So last night I got to witness the event again. Unbelievable. But again, so sad. Its only been 18 days ap. since the last hatch. Can they possibly reproduce that fast? I need to look it up.

Watched them dance in the current for an hour almost. Just using an led flashlight. Wish I could shoot a video of it. Mike and I swapped a bunch of corals yesterday and I took several acan,s & lobo,s home. They were eating baby fish like crazy. The acan,s esp. seemed to take delight in them. I watched them gobble a baby down then quickly grab for another.

Today they are all fully opened, looking full and beautiful colours.

:D

Lance
03-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Doug, my clowns spawn every 14 to 18 days. I looked it up before and that's about normal.

High tide
03-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Kinda tugs at the the heart strings a little. It's cool stuff like that that keeps us going despite the battles and the losses.

Doug
03-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Kinda tugs at the the heart strings a little. It's cool stuff like that that keeps us going despite the battles and the losses.

Yes, for sure it does. I sit watching amazed, yet sad.

Doug, my clowns spawn every 14 to 18 days. I looked it up before and that's about normal.

Ok, thanks Lance. Guess they are right on schedule then. :lol: