PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching GTBA - What to do?

xnmuller
02-17-2011, 11:28 PM
So I have had George (a Green Bubble Tip nem) for about two weeks. Today I noticed that some of his tentacles are looking whitish and transparent near the ends. Fed him some mysis today and he ate like a little piggy and he has seemed to find a spot we can both live with, although a little shaded from the T5s I'm running. Is he bleaching? What can I do?

Sorry I tried to get a picture but I can't get the color variation to show in any images - I'll keep trying.

hillegom
02-17-2011, 11:52 PM
How often do you feed? and how much? How big is the nem?

xnmuller
02-17-2011, 11:57 PM
How often do you feed? and how much? How big is the nem?

He's about an inch and half to two inches wide (two might be pushing it) and I feed him every 2 - 3 days.

hillegom
02-18-2011, 12:17 AM
I bought one that was completly bleached. Pure white. Feed him once a week or so, not very much, and now months later it is brown. But my lights are not very good.
compart flourescents. I try to feed raw seafood. and pe mysis. When we eat fish/prawns/ whatever, I save some and freeze it before cooking.
I have not had mine too long so hopefully, someone with more experience can chime in

reefwars
02-18-2011, 12:27 AM
a pic would be needed but if its eating and still moves about then its more than likely ok, its not unusual to see color variations in them......what are you running for lights???

bubbles are somewhat hardy and they often change shades of green and their tentacles can go from stringy like spaghetti or really bubbly and plump randomly.

not much you can do for any nem besides make sure its eating getting light and its important to always maintain clean water with no salinity drops or temp rises:):) cheers

Jackie
02-18-2011, 02:37 AM
If he eats and mouth is close tight, he will be fine.
Just keep feeding he. Color will come back.

xnmuller
02-18-2011, 11:55 AM
a pic would be needed but if its eating and still moves about then its more than likely ok, its not unusual to see color variations in them......what are you running for lights???

bubbles are somewhat hardy and they often change shades of green and their tentacles can go from stringy like spaghetti or really bubbly and plump randomly.

not much you can do for any nem besides make sure its eating getting light and its important to always maintain clean water with no salinity drops or temp rises:):) cheers

Sorry, still no pics. I just can't get the color variation to show. (A lot more practice needed). For lights I have 4x96w T5HO (can't remember color makeup). Salinity is fairly constant at 1.025, I only ever replace about 5 gallons of fresh water at any given time (total water display and sump = 180gallon) and the temp is fairly constant at 78(d).

But it seems through some comments here and some reading I have been doing that if he is eating (and he fed really well yesterday) that he should be ok.

Thanks for helping relieve a new aquarist's fears.

Wayne
02-19-2011, 03:35 PM
I have a GBTA that bleached out with my halides... He is under T5's now and VERY SLOWLY is his color coming back, I feed him every 2 days a variety of frozen foods.