PDA

View Full Version : 60 Gallon stocking

axe_man16
02-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Hello all,

I have a 60 gallon 4' long tank. I am looking for some stocking advice. Currently I have a Green clown Goby, Bi-color Blenny, and a Mccoskers wrasse. I would like to add a Tomato clown fish, but should I add just one or two? I was thinking of getting a Coral Beauty, but may just add one or two more wrasse instead, maybe a yellow corris wrasse.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance

globaldesigns
02-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Before seeking any advice, please give us more details. Things like are you keeping any coral? If so, what types? What species of fish do you like?

I like using liveaquaria.com for looking up fish, great site that gives alot of details/specs about each species.

axe_man16
02-17-2011, 07:24 PM
I am adding coral. Tank is only 3.5 months old so I am adding everything slowly. I have a small selection of zoos, gsp, and candy cane coral. Will eventually add SPS once the system gets a bit older and more stable.
Also have a few snails, Turbos, Mexican turbos, and trochu. And 3 Peppermint shrimp.

Parameters off the top of my head:
Salinity: 1.025
Phosphates: near 0
Nitrates: 0
Amonia: 0
NItrites: 0
Calcium: 420
Can't remember ALK or MAG
pH: 8.05-8.25 depending on night or day

I have a sump w/ a in-vertex skimmer, as well as a fairly small fuge.

As for what type of fish I like I do believe I listed it in my first post, but was wondering if adding two Tomato clowns is a good idea, or if just one is a better option. I would like a coral beauty but don't wanna take a chance with it nipping at corals.

ponokareefer
02-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Tomato clowns can get very mean. One or two of them would get quite aggressive with age. Consider a different clown if that is what you are interested in. Occelaris, Percula and Skunks are the mildest mannered clowns. I would avoid dwarf angels if you have corals. You just never know with them.
Other wrasse's should be okay including the yellow coris wrasse. I have one in my system and it is a model citizen. Just be aware that wrasse's are jumpers, so you should probably have a canopy of some sort. Wrasse's are typically some of the mildest mannered reef fish there are, and come in a lot of different bright colors.
You might want to consider a midas blenny as well. I love mine. It is nicely colored, always out, although it "perches" on a lot of things, so not always swimming, and very mild mannered.
A single chromis will add something different as well, but I'd avoid a "school" as they slowly kill each other off with age.
You have a fairly mild mannered group of fish, so a firefish should work as well.

axe_man16
02-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Would an anemone help towards aggression with the clown fish? I wanted one of the bigger type clown fish ie. Clarkii, Tomato, or Cinnimin.

ponokareefer
02-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Would an anemone help towards aggression with the clown fish? I wanted one of the bigger type clown fish ie. Clarkii, Tomato, or Cinnimin.

This can be hit and miss. Some say the anemones make them more aggressive because they have something to protect that they cherish. Other times, they don't leave the anemones as much.

axe_man16
02-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. If i do get a clown it won't be for a while yet anyways. Want them to be the last addition. But will for sure try another wrasse. My mccoskers is my favorite fish, very fun to watch.

Timbits
02-18-2011, 02:32 AM
i find that with an anemone the clowns are more aggressive because they have something to protect. at least that is what happen with my maroons, i added an anemone and now they bite me when i stick my hand in the tank :cry:

axe_man16
02-18-2011, 03:14 AM
I have read that maroons are the most agressive, especially the gold striped ones, i was wanting to stay away from them.

Wayne
02-18-2011, 03:46 AM

All of those clowns are quite aggressive a 60 Gallon may not be enough territory... I don't want to rain on your parade but giving you something to think about.

The Grizz
02-18-2011, 04:26 AM
I have read that maroons are the most agressive, especially the gold striped ones, i was wanting to stay away from them.

I have a gold bar maroon in my FOWLR and it rules the roost. A nice picasso clown would be a nice compromise for a clown of the larger variety. Just thinking out load.

axe_man16
02-24-2011, 06:21 PM
When adding clownfish is it advisable to add just one, or would a pair be less aggressive?
I have ruled out the tomato and cinnamon clowns, but all clownfish are aggressive.
So I would like a scenario which lessens their chance of being aggressive to my other fish. I was thinking of getting one or two black ocellaris clowns, or saddle back clowns (don’t know if these are as aggressive as the tomato and cinnamon). What are your thoughts?

axe_man16
02-25-2011, 02:45 AM
Any thoughts? Bump

George
02-25-2011, 06:27 AM
When adding clownfish is it advisable to add just one, or would a pair be less aggressive?
I have ruled out the tomato and cinnamon clowns, but all clownfish are aggressive.
So I would like a scenario which lessens their chance of being aggressive to my other fish. I was thinking of getting one or two black ocellaris clowns, or saddle back clowns (don’t know if these are as aggressive as the tomato and cinnamon). What are your thoughts?

If you decide down the road that you want to keep a pair of clown, you are better to get a pair in the first place. If you add one now and another one later, the established one will likely beat the crap out of the new one. And a established pair will be more aggressive toward their tank mates than single ones.
Generally speaking, ocellaris or percula are the least aggressive clowns. And if you are into designer clowns, you will find most of them are either ocellaris or percula.

axe_man16
02-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Perfect thanks! That is what I was wondering. Has anyone had experience with the following fish: Saddleback clownfish, Lubbocks fairy wrasse and the Yellow corris wrasse?

ponokareefer
02-25-2011, 03:19 PM
I've got a yellow canary wrasse and it is a model citizen. It is always searching around my tank for food and always gives my clams a good look over regularly.

jamesjackkson
03-15-2011, 04:03 PM
I joined the coral. Tanks only 3.5 months old, so I joined everything slow. I have a small zoo, GSP, coral and candy canes. Eventually will be added once the sanitary and phytosanitary systems to get a bit older and more stable. There are also some snails, turbo, turbocharged, Mexico and trochu. 3 Peppermint shrimp.