Just tested some water for a friend.......this is how it breaks down;

All tests done with Elos kits

Mg 2000 ???
Alk 6
CA 500+ ???
SG 1.026
Nitrate 1 on the Elos chart
pH about 8.02-8.05

Anyone make sense of these kind of readings. He says that he adds NO additives.....and now his corals don't seem to be thriving (namely a long tentacle plate which we all know isn't uncommon)

globaldesigns
02-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Retest just to make sure, but if this is correct then....

MG is way too high, should be about 1350
ALK is ok, but should try to keep in 7-8 range
CA is high, should be 400-420
SG is good
PH is too low, should be 8.3

If he isn't dosing, then I don't know how he has such high results. What salt is he/she using?

christyf5
02-17-2011, 06:03 PM
is he on well water or something? i didnt know mg test kits could run that high1

Chaloupa
02-17-2011, 06:17 PM
is he on well water or something? i didnt know mg test kits could run that high1

Not sure...will check....I just added drops on the MG until it finally turned...which was 20 drops..so I assumed it was 2000.....he uses Instant Ocean....

don.ald
02-17-2011, 06:21 PM
elos mg test is two part
his/her mg is most likely very low

globaldesigns
02-17-2011, 06:34 PM
That doesn't sound right.

ELOS is 2 part... First part, if you were at proper levels should be about 32-34 drops, with the second part giving you a value between 5-6 drops

You subtract the second part from the first to give you the total drops, then multiply by 50. So something is wrong there with your testing. Please recheck.

As Don.ald stated, if you only did the first test and you have a total of 20 drops, then doing the second test subtracting from the first... YOUR MG IS WAY LOW!!!

Keep us posted.

Chaloupa
02-17-2011, 06:54 PM
With Elos MG...it's a 3 part product your first drops, then the purple powder, the the final drops that you count and multiply by 100......... and the last drops that I add is usually anywhere from 13-15 depending on the MG .... 13 being 1300ppm..this does not change color until I hit 20 drops...I've never had that ..... keep the ideas coming...it's kinda weird......:biggrin: Is that I'm misunderstanding my result with MG...?

globaldesigns
02-17-2011, 06:57 PM
With Elos MG...it's a 3 part product your first drops, then the purple powder, the the final drops that you count and multiply by 100......... and the last drops that I add is usually anywhere from 13-15 depending on the MG .... 13 being 1300ppm..this does not change color until I hit 20 drops...I've never had that ..... keep the ideas coming...it's kinda weird......:biggrin: Is that I'm misunderstanding my result with MG...?

What we are talking about when we say 2 part is that you do 2 seperate tests, taking the result from the second test and subtracting it from the first test result, then the final number multiplying by 50

I am not sure what you are doing, as I have used ELOS exclusively for MG since the beginning for myself, this test hasn't changed.

Best bet is to re-read the directions.

ottoman
02-17-2011, 07:49 PM
+1 to globaldesigns ... he needs to re-test and read the directions.

If I remeber correctly, open the instruction card, the left hand side is test (part 1), after that you need to wash and get another water sample for the right hand side of the instruction card (part 2). After these 2 parts, then do the calculation.

Carrera75
02-17-2011, 07:56 PM
What we are talking about when we say 2 part is that you do 2 seperate tests, taking the result from the second test and subtracting it from the first test result, then the final number multiplying by 50

I am not sure what you are doing, as I have used ELOS exclusively for MG since the beginning for myself, this test hasn't changed.

Best bet is to re-read the directions.

+1 the final number is multiplied by 50 and not by 100

fishytime
02-17-2011, 11:34 PM
exactly why I dont like the elos Mg test kit......get a Salifert.....waaaaay easier:wink:

wayner
02-17-2011, 11:55 PM
exactly why I dont like the elos Mg test kit......get a Salifert.....waaaaay easier:wink:

Absolutely :biggrin:

globaldesigns
02-18-2011, 06:20 AM
I actually find the ELOS quite easy. With regards to the second test, I don't even do it anymore (well maybe once in a blue moon), as I find that this number never changes. So I do the first test only subtracting what I know what the second test will give. Very simple.

Chaloupa
02-18-2011, 06:26 AM
I am going to retest in the next couple of days...as I must have done something wrong...not the first time, nor the last LOL!

Thank you for all the input everyone! :biggrin:

Chaloupa
02-18-2011, 06:27 AM

I think I just might!

Chaloupa
05-17-2011, 06:23 AM
To res my old thread. Turns out the test kit was quite old...and not like the new ones. OOOPPS my bad. So in the end, the results to his tests were;

Mg 850
ALK 6
Ca 500

so...needless to say we're dosing with Mg to get it back up. Bit of a compliance issue with my friend...but they're trying to remember to dose to get it up there...and he's changed salts which is a step in the right direction!

OH, and I LOVE how easy the ELOS kit is! Just have to make sure to get the co-workers to read the directions properly sometimes...oh and me the first time!