PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever tried bbq equipment on a reef tank?

BCOrchidGuy
01-01-2004, 06:19 AM
Okay now that had to get your attention. I was doing some cleaning up of stuff and I found the old Rotisserie Motor, I was wondering if anyone's tried using one as a wavemaker for moving your power heads back and forth through a motion similar to the Power Sweep Power Heads. I've got a few power heads around I think I may try it unless someone knows better.

Doug

StirCrazy
01-01-2004, 01:21 PM
Rotisserie Motors are horably noisy. I have 3 here and I would never concider putting them anywhere in the house.

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
01-01-2004, 04:44 PM
hmm good point for sure.

Doug

Scavenger
01-05-2004, 03:47 AM
I just finished a wavemaker experiment with so/so results for a small (20G) tank. It might work better with a larger tank. I attached about 8 inches of larger thin walled surgical tubing I found in my friends workshop (still in sealed bag) to a powerhead outlet. It would whip around pretty good, but was unpredicable and blew in undesirable directions sometimes. Any shorter and it wouldn't move much. It was a fun experiment though.

BCOrchidGuy
01-05-2004, 04:37 AM
Interesting idea, I wonder if there is a way to make a bracket for it so it moves back and forth but not all over the place.... so much cool stuff to try...

Doug

Aquattro
01-05-2004, 05:16 AM
I find most tubing gets ridgid when left underwater for very long. Not sure if the surgical stuff does, but it is a consideration.