PDA

View Full Version : Which T5 bulbs do you like the best?

marcingo
02-16-2011, 06:28 PM
This is my first experience with T5's as I have always used MH or LED.

I have a 24 inch light with 4 T5 HO bulbs.

Looking to replace them since I bought the light used and dont know how old they are. My tank is mainly zoa and SPS. (20 gal tall with 4+ inches of sand, skimmerless)

Currently the combo is 2 Actinic, 1 fiji purple, 1 10k.

Is there a difference between brands?

I have been reading and most people agree UVL Super actinics are the way to go for actinics.

Looking for opinions on a combo and which brand to use.

I would like decent coral growth and a fairly blue look as well as something to make the coral colors pop.

I realize my question is fairly general and I am asking for a lot (growth is sacrificed for color, etc)

Thanks for the help.

fencer
02-16-2011, 07:21 PM
+url

FishyFishy!
02-16-2011, 10:40 PM
I've recently become a huge fan of wave point bulbs. I find that their intensity is amazing, and the colors are very bright. I currently have a mixture of KZ's, and Geismann's along with 2 wavepoints in an 8 bulb Tek light, and the wavepoints are way brighter and the color is a lot more intense. For the money, the WP bulbs are actually a great deal.

I would do the following combo with wave point bulbs:

2 X Blue Wave (460nm actinics)
1 X Sunwave (12,000K)
1 X Coral wave (pink for coral growth acceleration)

When I get home, I'll take a pic of my Tek light so you can see the difference.

See here for info on colors - http://www.wave-point.com/Lighting_folder/LampMain.html

marcingo
02-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Great thanks.

So the pick accelerates growth?

If so then great otherwise I am not a fan of how it changes the color. But if color growth benefits then i will do it.

THanks for the advice.

Are wavepoint readily available at the LFS's?

FishyFishy!
02-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Yup, just about everyone here carries them. Big als carry's them here in Calgary.

fishytime
02-16-2011, 11:47 PM
have a look at what most T5 guys are running:wink:.....stick with the big three or four......KZ, Aquascience, ATI, or Giesemann

Wayne
02-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Great thanks.

So the pick accelerates growth?

If so then great otherwise I am not a fan of how it changes the color. But if color growth benefits then i will do it.

THanks for the advice.

Are wavepoint readily available at the LFS's?

Big Al's Edmonton sells them

fiorano
02-17-2011, 03:05 AM
i run 2 14,000 k kz coral bulbs 1 actinic + and 1 kz fiji purple. looks pretty awesome!

chris88
02-17-2011, 03:40 AM
I cant judge wavepoint because i havent seen them in action but from what i read they are made by the same people who make coralife bulbs which are not the best.

I have tried the following:
ati
kz
uri
aqua science
coral life
aquaticlife

I would have to say kz is my favourite, and atiand aqua science tie in second place. i have uri bulbs in right now and i don't like them at all.

marcingo
02-17-2011, 01:18 PM
great thanks for all the feedback.