PDA

View Full Version : Wicked ato! need help though

apex82
02-16-2011, 06:38 AM
So I got this awesome 20 gallon decorative pottery base at pier 1 to hold water next to my tank for my ATO. Only issue is it seems to have a few small leaks... It was pricey, dont really want to return it because it works with the decor so... You think I could just double line it with some black plastic garbage bags and continue to use it as my ATO container? Dont know if its safe to store freshwater in them for months at a time?
Thanks

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/dashocker/CIMG7594.jpg

ScubaSteve
02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Plastic bags or a good quality spray plastic liner would works. I once used a spray plastic to waterproof an experiemnt that is WAAAAAAAY more sensitive to leached chemicals than an aquarium and it worked fine but I had to look around. I can't find the dealer I got it from right now but will let you know when I do. I remember is was food-safe/food-grade liner. Try googling that?

daniella3d
02-16-2011, 12:42 PM
YOu need a food grade container to store RO water for a long time. You could buy large polyethylene bags (food grade) and put 2 sheet but I would be very worried that eventualy there will be some leak. It's your call.

Polyethylene and polypropylene are both food grade and I bought those large polyethylene bags before to hold sensitive limited edition prints because they don't leach anything. I would not use regular garbage bag at all. Polyethylene are easy enough to order via the internet. Search Google for polyethylene bag food grade.

You should use fine sand paper inside the jar so that there is no small bumps or little imperfections inside that could pierce the bags once they are filled with water and put a lot of pressure.

Here is a company that probably sell food grade bags that would be safe and would not leach chimical into your aquarium:

http://www.interplas.com/poly-bags

George
02-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Can you use some kind of epoxy to seal the leaks?

apex82
02-16-2011, 07:10 PM
I wish... there is way to many and going to be hard to find. I got some food safe 3mm bags, thanks to previous advice. Going to to double bag it... you think thats enough?

hillegom
02-17-2011, 12:29 AM
As Josie said, run your hand around the inside. Any sharp points? Should sand them down or they will cut your plastic eventually

mark
02-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Can you use some kind of epoxy to seal the leaks?

people do make plywood tanks sealed with fiberglass and epoxy resin, could just coat the whole inside

globaldesigns
02-17-2011, 01:08 AM
I like this idea, very stylish and gorgeous.

Can you not use a spray sealant, liquid silicone or something like truck liner spray? Just wondering... I like this idea so much, that if you can seal something like that I may just do this also.

apex82
02-17-2011, 01:48 AM
The bags are working for now... If I find it leaks I will probably go the spray sealant route.

daniella3d
02-17-2011, 03:30 AM
Should work if you made sure that there was nothing inside that could puncture the bags. That's the most important part.

The bags are working for now... If I find it leaks I will probably go the spray sealant route.

pirate
02-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Where did you get the bags from? I like this idea as well. Thought about doing it myself but could not find a food grade decorative container.

apex82
02-17-2011, 05:09 AM
Industrial plastics is where I got the bags... keeps the woman happy as it supplies more than enough water for ato and serves as a nice deco piece rather than some ugly bin.

muck
02-17-2011, 05:12 AM
What mm bag did you buy?

apex82
02-17-2011, 05:38 AM
3mm and double bagged