PDA

View Full Version : Sump turnover rate vs tank turnover rate?

Chin_Lee
12-31-2003, 08:07 PM
I'm settting up a 180 tank in my family room with a 180 sump in the basement which has about 13 feet head. I plan to have a dsb/algae refugium in the sump. I'm looking to buy a mag 3600 to pump about 1600 gph from the sump to tank. I currently have a mag 1800 pumping from sump to tank at about 650 gph and the noise is minimal. Does anybody have any idea what the noise will be with the 3600 :question: (I'm concerned with vibrations, rattling, water turbulence etc.)

An alternative I was thinking would be to keep to mag 1800 doing the same job so the sump to tank turnover rate will be about 3-4x per hour and then put a tunze 6060 and a couple of other pumps in the tank to increase the turnover rate in the tank at about 10-12 times/hour.

Which is better? If anybody can provide any input with your experiences, it would be greatly appreciated.

Canadian Man
12-31-2003, 08:28 PM
When I had my basement sump I ran a LG 4mdqx-sc return pump. I had about 15ish feet of head and the pump worked great.

My philosopy behind my basement sump was use the return pump to just circulate water between the tank and sump and then use other means to make current in your tank.

In your situation I would use the mag 18 if you have it and if it will make the climb up to your tank. If you were pondering buying a mag 36 then i would ditch that idea and get an external pump LG/Mak4 ............

That mag 36 would suck alot of power and as you may know they don't work well with back pressure.

cheers

Seriak
12-31-2003, 08:39 PM
I just bought a Mag 2400 and believe it or not it supposedly has a lower maximum height then the Mag 1800. I would definately stick with the Mag 1800. I only went to the 2400 because my 1200 could not get to the 16-17 feet that I needed. I should have just gotten the 1800 to save myself some money on the electrical consumptions as the 2400 runs a lot higher than the 1800. Also, the vibration can actually be heard on my second story from the basement if the entire house is silent. However I never hear gurgling water anymore so the humm is quite acceptable. As soon as I finish the basement and seal in my sump room it should eliminate all noise.

StirCrazy
12-31-2003, 09:03 PM
I would get a deicent pressure rated pump for ytour return and your skimmer (if you have one) then for additional flow I would go with Tunze streams, they are easyer to maintain and in the long run will probably work out cheeper.

Steve

Delphinus
12-31-2003, 10:25 PM
My own philosophy after having tried many different combinations over the years is that you don't really need a lot of sump volume turnover. Just the minimum (5x tank volume) IMHO, is fine, plus it leaves you open to any kind of flow possibilities in the main display (keep them independent). Leaving the high tank turnover within the tank itself leaves you open to turning off your sump return and the tank can still have flow.

The Tunze streams are butt ugly in my opinion but they're fabulous for moving a large fan shape volume of water and they're cheap as dirt to run.

Another option for a fan shape volume of water movement are the penductors on a closed loop, a little smaller and maybe a little less ugly but you need a decent size pressure rated pump to do it right.

Chin_Lee
12-31-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks guys, exactly the type of advice i needed.
CWLee