PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse stocking capacity 20 extra tall

billb
02-14-2011, 05:38 PM
I fianlly decided on a 20 gallon xtra tall for my seahorse tank. It is intended for dwarf seahorses but since they are so hard to get I may just use it for regularar seahorses (H. Erectus) if I can't find dawrfs. The 20 extra tall has the same footprint as a 10 gallon but is 24" tall.

Could I put 2 pairs of H.Erectus in the tank safely? I was also considering the cleanup crew of a few sexy shrimp or possible a couple of mandarins. So I guess the overall question is:
How many H. Erectus could I safely house in the tank and how many in the cleanup crew?

Thanks

sphelps
02-14-2011, 05:42 PM
The mandarins probably wouldn't be a good idea but two pairs of horses should be fine.

billb
02-14-2011, 05:47 PM
The mandarins probably wouldn't be a good idea but two pairs of horses should be fine.

Is it the tank size of a compaibility issue? I thought they were compatible...

In that event, how about a few sexy shrimp in with the 2 pairs? Shrimp don't represent much of a bioload.

Thanks

sphelps
02-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Tank size, most seem to agree you need a decent sized established tank to support a mandarin, usually around 50 gallons per fish depending on who you talk to.

The shrimp are fine.

billb
02-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks. I just looked them up. The first source I read said 75 gallons. I never would have guessed based on their size. Thanks for the heads up.

fishytime
02-14-2011, 06:14 PM
heres a good site.... http://www.seahorse.org/ ... and another http://www.seahorse.com/

rayjay
02-15-2011, 12:08 AM
While occasionally people have been successful with smaller tanks, it does take a heck of a lot of extra husbandry to work compared to the recommended tanks.
For normal sized seahorses like reidi and erectus, the recommendation is 29g/30g for the first pair, and fifteen extra gallons for each additional pair.
Keeping the water clean enough is a big challenge for long term survival of most seahorses as they succumb first to bacterial infestations, and secondly to parasitic pathogens introduced to them by other fish they get exposed to. (unless those other fish are from the same breeding source)