PDA

View Full Version : Clown attacking a niger trigger

daniella3d
02-14-2011, 01:35 PM
I have a little ocellaris clownfish in my tank with my niger trigger and I am afraid that one day he'll be trigger food. He's just going in front of the trigger and keep harrasing it. He leans foward with the head pointing down and sort of try to push the trigger away. The trigger gets tired of it at some point and move a little on the clown and bite (he bites the water, not the clown), so the clown swim away fast but he's back in no time.

Is that normal? why would a small clown fish attack or harras a trigger? Seem a bit stupid! He's alone and there is no partner so it's not about breeding either.

So why the heck is he doing this? He's not doing it to any other fish and was best buddy with my hippo tang and my hippo tang was doing this as well. Could it be that he picked this behavior from watching his buddy hippo tang? The tang is in another tank now BTW.

jorjef
02-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Little clown syndrom? ... Why would a dog stand in the face of a bear and bark? Just because they can I would guess lol

marie
02-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Clown fish are just damsels in pajamas, they can be nasty little buggers :lol:

damtrees420
02-14-2011, 03:58 PM
my tomato clown and niger are about the same size and took me for ever to find out what was harassing my trigger still see bit marks on him from time to time

ponokareefer
02-14-2011, 04:39 PM
I haven't personally had issues with clowns, but when I sold my lionfish to someone, they had a single tomato clown in the tank along with a couple of smaller sharks. The sharks steered well clear of the clownfish. The clownfish immediately went after the lionfish when it was introduced into the tank even though the lionfish could fit the clownfish in its mouth. When I talked to the people 6 months later, the clown still ruled the tank. Don't underestimate a clownfish. I doubt it will stop what it is doing.

randallino
02-14-2011, 05:07 PM
My clownfish and bluechin trigger don't get along, personality conflict I guess...:lol:

kevNnic
02-14-2011, 06:33 PM
clowns are jerks, mine like to rule the tank as well. At least that area where their anemone is. Best just stay clear!

petlaur
02-14-2011, 07:24 PM
JME, I had a 2.5" Niger take a sizable chomp out of the dorsal area of my clown in my 50g setup years ago. I found my clown still alive after coming home from work but had to euthanize him shortly thereafter. Thought that Nigers were peaceful but found out the hard way that they can be unpredictable.:(

daniella3d
02-15-2011, 12:48 PM
I guess that's the fate that awaits my clownfish. Behaving like that can only anoy the trigger and some day he'll bite the fish instead of biting the water. The trigger is growing really fast. he's now about 6" with the tail but very peacefull and skittish. It's really the clown that harras it and that clown is only about 1" 1/2....

I am expecting each day to find it the same way you did with yours. I don't blame the trigger though...I would be anoy if someone would do that to me as well.

I think I will try to remove it and put it in my frag tank with the little blue damsel that is there and see if that work better.

JME, I had a 2.5" Niger take a sizable chomp out of the dorsal area of my clown in my 50g setup years ago. I found my clown still alive after coming home from work but had to euthanize him shortly thereafter. Thought that Nigers were peaceful but found out the hard way that they can be unpredictable.:(