PDA

View Full Version : Gurrgling and Bubbling Overflows: any suggestions?

moppy
02-13-2011, 06:01 PM
I have your typical reef ready tank with 2 overflows into a sump. The overflows end up pushing tons of air into the sump creating bubbles and causing quicker evaporation. Any suggestions on how to stop this?

Is it really as simple as drilling holes in the tops of the intake tubes?

Thanks...

Aquattro
02-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Well, kinda sorta. We'd need to see a pic of what you've got, and if it's almost a durso. Google Durso and Herbie overflows, see how your setup compares and how you can get the same results.

moppy
02-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Mine looks just like the Druso.

Except it isn't noise I am having a problem with, it is massive amounts of bubbles in the sump causing evaporation and dampness...

monocus
02-13-2011, 10:11 PM
i switched from a durso to a stockman-less room and less maitenance

ponokareefer
02-14-2011, 12:25 AM
What is your total volume turnover from your sump pump? If it is too high, this may be part of the problem.

apex82
02-14-2011, 07:25 AM
One word... Herbie. search it on reefcentral. I just set mine up last week and its best thing since slice bread. Absolutely silent, no noise whatsoever and no bubbles in sump. Make sure you get the gate valve though...

mark
02-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Dursos, Stockman, HGB, all have air in the lines, just how they work. For no air, it's a Herbie or Bean.

I switched from dual overflows and Dursos to Herbie (here (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69375)) for the gurgling and all I can say should have did it years ago. Noise from the display never was a problem, just the gurgling in the lines and bubbling in the sump. Now there's not even micro bubbles in the sump from the drains.

Can also run a Bean on dual overflow chambers. Huge thread but check the RC thread (post 2495, page 100 (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1541946&page=100)) on setting up. Never tried but hype seems a Bean might be better than a Herbie as allows more of a range before needs adjusting.