PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a in sump skimmer to external? Can it be done

The Grizz
02-13-2011, 05:44 AM
Question I have is ..... Have anyone taken an insump skimmer and modified it to run out of the sump. I would like to have an external skimmer on the 250 but need to keep costs reasonable by order of the boss.

Have found a ASM G SERIES G4+ PROTEIN SKIMMER W/ SEDRA 9000 PUMP
On EBay CHEAP!!! But was wondering if it could be done.

Delphinus
02-13-2011, 06:11 AM
From what I remember of my ASM I'm not sure I'd want it external. It could easily be made watertight, it pretty much is - you just have to mod the pump intake to draw from the skimmer body but then you also have to add a feed port. To this end those curved bulkheads are your friend but the base of the skimmer is kind of narrow so you'll need to stabilize it somehow, I did a recirc mod on mine when I had it and it was forever wobbly because the weight of the pump pulled it off balance.

Next off they're kind of a chintzy build quality, that's the reason they're affordable, there's less material in them. Doesn't take much to take them apart.

Might be easier to put it in a separate small tank that has flow from the sump somehow if it's just a matter of not enough space IN the sump for the skimmer.

RyanJ
02-13-2011, 06:13 AM
When I was talking to Jeff From Reef Dynamics (Euro-Reef) I asked that same question, and he said no.. With his models atleast.. becuase when you change the position of the pump it changes the dynamics of how the skimmer works.. a intenal is meant to run in cretin water levels.. and when the pumps position is changed you have to change the location of the inlet He says its easier to leave it the way it is and just sell your skimmer and buy a new or used one thats meant for RS.. thats what I got from the 3 hour convo we had about how skimmers work.. thats my 2c.

The Grizz
02-13-2011, 05:53 PM
I have also found a recir skimmer good for 400 gal, reef octopus new for around $400. Might just have to go this way.