PDA

View Full Version : Stoping the Syphon

BlueTang<3
02-13-2011, 03:28 AM
So i just plumed a tank for a friend and between the pump and tee to the returns there is under 3 inches, once i had the 3 union ball valve with he low stand. What can i use to break the syphon? I typically would not be worried but he likes to move the returns to direct flow in the tank and unless they are completely uncovered they will not stop syphoning. Being i think he is going to lower them at some point and flood his sump i am concerned. Any low profile out there. I also have limited room or i would just throw a check valve in both return lines but the one does not have room.

Murminator
02-13-2011, 03:36 AM
If you can right under the water surface of the return pipe drill a small hole and the nozzles can be under as deep as they want. I have a small hole drilled in my return inside the overflow it sprays a bit of water sideways but it's in the overflow so it makes no difference. On my freshwater tanks I do the same with canister fliters in case a hose pops off or blows then it won't drain the whole tank on the floor

zum14
02-13-2011, 04:54 AM
If you can right under the water surface of the return pipe drill a small hole and the nozzles can be under as deep as they want. I have a small hole drilled in my return inside the overflow it sprays a bit of water sideways but it's in the overflow so it makes no difference. On my freshwater tanks I do the same with canister fliters in case a hose pops off or blows then it won't drain the whole tank on the floor

+1 I only forgot to do that once, 40 gal on the floor. Luckily only freshwater and no fish in the tank yet. Works good though.

Snappy
02-13-2011, 04:58 AM
That is also what I did, just make sure you keep the drilled hole clean as they can get an algae build up and clog.

lockrookie
02-13-2011, 02:13 PM
on my 50g tank my returnwas half way down in the tank. s to break the syphon i added a t at the top near the overflow. on the topof the t i added a irrigation part that had two nipples that i could attach airlinehose to. when runningthe airline hose fed water intoo the overflow. when turned off it broke the syphon. itwas quiet i didnt hear the sucking sound i hear onmy 90g which i just drilled a hole under the ater linewater line.

here is a picture

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1847.jpg