PDA

View Full Version : Paddy's Mandarin Paradise

paddyob
02-12-2011, 03:30 PM
So... I love Mandarins.

I am going to set up a tank for a mated pair. Either Blues or Reds. Most likely Blue Mandarins.

There will be no other tank inhabitants, asides from a few snails, that the pair will need to compete with.

The tank is either going to be a 20 G (that I already have in the basement running) or, if I can find one, a 30 TALL.

I plan to minimize corals (A few softies maybe) in this tank and go more macro algae and what not to give the PODs a haven for reproduction as well.

At this stage, I am looking for input as to what would be the IDEAL conditions for a Mandarin only tank. Keeping in mind my tank size is set due to the space it occupies.

noirsphynx
02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Awesome Patrick. Can't wait to see what you do.
Are you going to do a refugium to help supply their food requirements?

paddyob
02-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Awesome Patrick. Can't wait to see what you do.
Are you going to do a refugium to help supply their food requirements?

The tank is basically going to be a refugium. I will also be dosing PODS.

I may get a HOB refugium for it. Who knows.

Slick Fork
02-12-2011, 07:54 PM
That sounds REALLY cool... I love Mandarins!

I would definitely do a HOB refugium, like a modded AC110. 2 Mandarins will decimate the pod population in a 20 gallon in no time flat so having lots of inaccessable places for the pods to reproduce is absolutely key

Funky_Fish14
02-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Sounds cool Pat!

"pod piles"... shells turned upside down with holes in them... cheato balls... These areas in my fuge are where I see the clouds of copepods swimming about (I know they are copepods, i've checked them out under microscope). Low flow will help. High nutrients is also just fine. (will help/allow algae and phyto to grow... phyto being a copepod food source).

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Cheers,

Chris

Funky_Fish14
02-12-2011, 08:00 PM
PS. My fuge is 71gal dedicated fuge, with caulerpas (2 types), cheato, and mangroves... a sandbed, rock... There IS a large clownfish that motors around in there hunting the larger pods (amphipods and Isopods)... And a bullet goby (gobiosoma macrodon), who is fatter than fat from eating copepods... and my copepod population is still through the roof. Low flow, good light/(old lights too), sandbed... miracle mud, algaes, areas for the pods to be 'safe', these will definitely help.

If you can try to do larger size!

Plus im sure you can find, or train, the mandarins to eat prepared foods. If you manage this... then no worries at all! Should be able to buy some already eating it.

Cheers,

Chris

bignose
02-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Are you going with a drilled tank and refugium?

noirsphynx
02-12-2011, 10:42 PM

I would definitely do a HOB refugium, like a modded AC110. 2 Mandarins will decimate the pod population in a 20 gallon in no time flat so having lots of inaccessable places for the pods to reproduce is absolutely key

This is exactly what I was thinking!

toytech
02-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Very cool idea , mandrins in nanos are great because then you can see how beautiful these fish really are. I picked up a blue mandarin last saturday to put in my 15 gal (no fuge , or sump) and already she loves frozen blood worms , im trying to get her to eat out of a diner (small jar ) so i dont have to find her and get a bunch of food in the rocks around her . Im hoping once she eats in the diner on a regular basis i can put other foods in there like flake or pellets and she will eat those too .

paddyob
02-14-2011, 12:16 AM
I MAY have found a 30 gallon tall to work with.

If so... then I may get a HOB overflow and use the 20 for a sump/fuge.

paddyob
02-14-2011, 12:17 AM
im trying to get her to eat out of a diner (small jar ) so i dont have to find her and get a bunch of food in the rocks around her . Im hoping once she eats in the diner on a regular basis i can put other foods in there like flake or pellets and she will eat those too .

Please give me an update on how this goes. Seems like a good idea.

toytech
02-14-2011, 02:01 AM
I have had bloodworms in the jar for 2 days now and feeding in the area around the jar (its flat sand in the back of my tank ) she found the blood worms in the sand , and now hangs out in that area alot more.She swam in the jar and ate all the worms today and then came back and hung out in it a few times.

abcha0s
02-14-2011, 03:00 AM
I love my mandarin. She is also by far my most expensive fish ever.

paddyob
03-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Well... it seems I am not able to find a 25 or 30 gallon tall (that is a condition I like) through Canreef.

I have started to look at new tanks.

If I don't find a new tank priced "well enough" then I may just go ahead and start setting my 20 gallon back up.

AQUARIUM ILLUSIONS just got a huge shipment of BEAUTIFUL Fiji live rock and I am going to grab a few pieces and start curing it. I will not add Mandarins until the tank is 6 months old so I have to get moving.

I am definitely going forward so keep your eyes peeled.

If anyone out there has an Aqua Clear 110 or HOB Refugium please drop me a PM.

Thanks for watching. MORE TO COME!

paddyob
03-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Looks like I found a refugium for this tank.

A local reefer (Blacknife) is trading it to me for some frags!

Thanks a lot for contributing to the Mandarin build!

Wannabe
03-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Cant wait to see it Pat!

ashley
03-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Awesome! I love Mandarins to so I'm really looking forward to seeing this!

bignose
03-19-2011, 05:52 AM
me too

paddyob
03-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Hmmmm.... does anyone want to see the beautiful fiji rock I picked up at Aquarium Illusions?

christyf5
03-19-2011, 03:33 PM
nah...:razz:

come on, you know we all love pictures!! :biggrin:

intarsiabox
03-19-2011, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=paddyob;598071]Well... it seems I am not able to find a 25 or 30 gallon tall (that is a condition I like) through Canreef.

I have started to look at new tanks.

If I don't find a new tank priced "well enough" then I may just go ahead and start setting my 20 gallon back up.

QUOTE]

I don't know if they still carry them but I picked up a 25g tall at Big Al's for about $30-35 this past summer for tank only.

paddyob
03-23-2011, 11:54 PM
I obtained a CPR AF2MD REFUGIUM.

It cost me $40 and a couple frags of SPS.

It came with the light (not a bit of salt creep at all) and pump.

Since I now have this... I am going to forget about the larger tank and proceed with my already cycled 20... and improve it.

I bought 20 pounds of live sand and will add later today.

Once I clean the refugium up, I will post pics!

fishytime
03-24-2011, 02:00 AM
That was a pretty good scoop:biggrin:

Wannabe
03-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Come on with the pics Pat. Gotta see that rock.

paddyob
03-24-2011, 05:10 AM
coming coming coming.

I cleaned the refugium. Looks new! The pump does not work though. The impeller was bulging and unable to be removed.

I had an extra power head around and it does the job nicely.

Now....

I think I will run this tank filter free. Refugium (sand?/chaeto?/rubble?) and extra power head.

Any thoughts?

Remember this tank will house only two mandarins, macros and softies. I do not see the bio load being to overly pressing.

paddyob
03-24-2011, 01:17 PM
So here it is... the beginning.

The refugium IS on the front of the tank right now.... water test and waiting for set up.

Stay tuned!

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4321

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4320

It is going to be in my soon to be developed music room.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4319

The first few pounds of rock. Going to get more this week. Premium Fiji. Have not seen this in a store in a long time. Not this nice anyhow. Aquarium Illusions got a HUGE shipment of it.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4325

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4324

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4323

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4322

I bought 20 pounds of Carib Sea live sand as well. Most for the tank bottam as it looks like crap being bare... and a couple inches for my refugium.

Anyone want to lead me down the road to a great POD rich refugium? Substrates? Macros? Rubble?

Also... asides from chaeto... which macros can go into a tank without going asexual?

BlueWorldAquatic
03-24-2011, 11:13 PM
You need to come in and get a culter of our white worms, my mandarins love it, and the one in my 10gal begs for them all the time.

Ken

paddyob
03-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Ok the sand is in place. I put about 2" or so in the designated baffle area of the refugium and the rest into the tank.

I was bare bottom since the move last July and man I am glad thats over.

Refugium placed. Only other circulation is a Koralia Nano. I am considering just adding another of those as they are small and place nicely.

paddyob
03-25-2011, 05:49 AM

Refugium. Done.

paddyob
03-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Burning the midnight oil.

Basic set up is done. I need to get more rock. More circulation. A new heater. Chaeto.

Pics tomorrow. Tired.

paddyob
03-30-2011, 04:04 AM
Jason and Ned came over tonight and we had a couple beers over aqua scaping the tank.

We got a pretty good base down and I'll work it from there. I am going to take the basic configuration and create more open spaces and passages between for the Mandarins to explore. I need to use the epoxy to ensure the pieces stay in place.

Do I have pics? Not tonight. Will I? Yes. See yah soon :twised:

paddyob
04-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Well here are a couple progress pics... for some reason any pics I upload lately are seriously messed up.. pixely. Not sure why. Sorry in advance.

Here is the first go round with the rock work. I am going for a mini mass in the 20 so the Mandarins can swim all sides.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4354

Refugium beginnings...

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4353

paddyob
04-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Well, I think I am happy with the rocks now.

I did some shuffling and made some neat caves. Have a look and let me know what you think!

FTS:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4364

The cave entrance....

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4365

Also added two pounds of live rubble to my refugium. Looking good!

paddyob
04-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Also... added the second Koralia Nano.

One more and I am set.

I dropped a bag of carbon in the first chamber in the fuge. As they tank is cycling it is pretty green/yellowy. Gotta clear that up.

Looking for ideas on what to put in here. It is going to be soft corals. I have currenty a Kenya tree and GSP in there.

Anyone have any nice softies to contribute to the cause? Trades for?

Wannabe
04-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Looks great Pat.

paddyob
04-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Looks great Pat.

Thanks Brotha Man! See yah in a week.

paddyob
04-08-2011, 06:56 AM
I have a feeling. Feeling is telling me that I am probably going to move the rocks again. A little.

Something is not quite right.

Myka
04-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey Patrick, this is a cool idea. I love Mandarins too! :D Have you kept a pair before? Do you plan to breed them?

paddyob
04-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Hey Patrick, this is a cool idea. I love Mandarins too! :D Have you kept a pair before? Do you plan to breed them?

I have not kept a pair before.

I do intend to try breed them. It is obviously being done elsewhere, and mandarins are known to tank breed.

I figure if I set up the tank to directly cater to them, no competition, then there is a chance they may.

I am open to suggestions if anyone has them, in regards to breeding Mandarins, raising fry, ideal conditions, etc.

I love Mandarins and hope to do well.

The tank is cycling. I will perform the first water tests today to see where its at. I will not be adding Mandarins until June-July.

To help my PODs reproduce in the meantime.... should I feed the tank anything specific?

Myka
04-11-2011, 08:43 PM
I have not kept a pair before. I do intend to try breed them. It is obviously being done elsewhere, and mandarins are known to tank breed. I figure if I set up the tank to directly cater to them, no competition, then there is a chance they may. I am open to suggestions if anyone has them, in regards to breeding Mandarins, raising fry, ideal conditions, etc. I love Mandarins and hope to do well.

The tank is cycling. I will perform the first water tests today to see where its at. I will not be adding Mandarins until June-July.

To help my PODs reproduce in the meantime.... should I feed the tank anything specific?

If you plan to breed them you will need a taller tank. They make an ascent as they breed, and they won't be able to complete the act if the tank isn't tall enough. A breeding pair will probably need a bigger tank as they are quite aggressive to each other when not breeding. Separating them my be required.

For pods, I suggest an attached overflow style refugium to provide a safe place for pods to breed.

paddyob
04-11-2011, 08:48 PM
If you plan to breed them you will need a taller tank. They make an ascent as they breed, and they won't be able to complete the act if the tank isn't tall enough. A breeding pair will probably need a bigger tank as they are quite aggressive to each other when not breeding. Separating them my be required.

For pods, I suggest an attached overflow style refugium to provide a safe place for pods to breed.

Refugium as been attached for a while now. CPR HOB.

I thought about going 30 tall... but could not find one (cheaply).

Myka
04-11-2011, 08:55 PM
I was thinking more like a "tower" style tank. Like 18x18x30". Petsmart carries something similar, not sure if it is big enough...I think the Petsmart ones are more like 12x12x18" which would have too small of a footprint.

Are there some big pods in the refugium yet?

paddyob
04-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I was thinking more like a "tower" style tank. Like 18x18x30". Petsmart carries something similar, not sure if it is big enough...I think the Petsmart ones are more like 12x12x18" which would have too small of a footprint.

Are there some big pods in the refugium yet?

a 30 tall is L24, H24, W12 . . . . I have a limited area for this tank... and a stand built for the foot print.

Myka
04-11-2011, 09:24 PM
a 30 tall is L24, H24, W12 . . . . I have a limited area for this tank... and a stand built for the foot print.

It appears that 24" is enough height for those breeding Mandarins.

bignose
04-12-2011, 03:59 AM
Where's the mandarins Pat?

jzz30tt
04-12-2011, 04:11 AM
could be interesting in this?

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-Brand-new-reef-ready-90-gallon-tank-W0QQAdIdZ274013037

BlueTang<3
04-12-2011, 01:33 PM
My Mandarins spawn all the time in my 24" tank, the spawn quickly turns into a feeding frenzy.

http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Breeding_the_Green_Mandarin

Myka
04-12-2011, 02:09 PM
My Mandarins spawn all the time in my 24" tank, the spawn quickly turns into a feeding frenzy.

I think Pat's got a 20 high setup though, which is only 16" tall.

paddyob
04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Where's the mandarins Pat?

Jason.... shut up. LOL.

Coming coming coming.

I want the tank to cycle for months before adding the Mandarins. Probably no fish in there until June.

Myka has me thinking about it as well. If I do not have the height for a breeder then it may just become a Mandarin/Seahorse/Pipefish tank. Slow movers.

I will do more research before adding anything.

paddyob
04-12-2011, 02:40 PM

http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Breeding_the_Green_Mandarin

WES!!! Thanks!!! This is a fantastic resource!!!

Myka
04-13-2011, 01:25 AM
If I do not have the height for a breeder then it may just become a Mandarin/Seahorse/Pipefish tank. Slow movers.

That's a good idea. Although Seahorses prefer height to a tank. Why not try again to find a tall tank, and then you can breed Mandarins and Seahorses? Btw, getting Mandarins to breed is the easy part as it is quite common in mixed reef tanks. Collecting eggs and raising the fry is the bigger challenge.

paddyob
04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
So the tank is cycling nicely.

However... there are flat worms.

What is the best route to eradicate them now... before adding fish?

I do not want to add any fish to do the job. I know spotted Mandarins love flat worms.... but do Blue mandarins also eat them?

I also have heard people say reduced light cycle and/or running actinic only may help.

Has anyone got advice for me?

Again,

This is a Mandarin ONLY tank being set... so adding fish is not an option. It has sand, rock, chaeto as well as Kenya tree and GSP. I do not want to also eradicate the POD population I have built up to prepare for the Mandarin additions.... if possible.

Thanks.

abcha0s
04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm not sure if you've seen this? - http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

Keep in mind that any medication that kill flatworms will also kill the pods. I don't see a way around that.

- Brad

TJSlayer
04-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Blue velvet nudibranch will do the job to a t

Myka
04-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Salifert Flatworm Exit won`t hurt pods.

paddyob
04-21-2011, 12:06 AM
My buddy Jason had some Blue Life Flatworm Control.

Anyone else tried this product? He said it MAY not be as good as Salifert. I can't seem to find reviews on it.

BlueTang<3
04-21-2011, 01:17 AM
I got flatworms also in my seahorse/mandarin tank got it from a lfs store when i got some macro algae. I just added the physchedallic mandarin last night and i see he is picking at the already, dont know if he is just sampling but i saw him nip a few.

chandigz
04-21-2011, 02:03 AM
The fattest and heathest mandarins and spotted mandarins I've ever seen were in a tank that had a flatworm problem.

paddyob
04-21-2011, 02:44 PM
The fattest and heathest mandarins and spotted mandarins I've ever seen were in a tank that had a flatworm problem.

Yes. Spotted Mandarins do eat FWs. I used one to clear my original 20G and they do a bang up job.

However, I plan to add Blue Mandarins, and I am not finding anything that states they too will devour them.

Anyone else seen Blues eat flatworms.

Wes let me know what your results are please.

Slick Fork
04-21-2011, 04:46 PM
I can confirm too through experience that Salifert's flatworm exit won't harm your pods. Depending on the size of the FW population though have a pile of carbon and a large water change ready to go.

paddyob
05-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Well... the tank is cycled. I am sure it has been for some time now and my tests have confirmed this.

Ph - 8.3

NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
NH4 - 0

Sooo..... It looks like I am going to add my Mandarin.

If they have one in the store tomorrow, it's coming home with me!

paddyob
05-25-2011, 01:58 AM
I have also decided that breeding is not in the cards right now. I am not going to set up another system to house fry anytime soon, so figured might as well get a nice one going in there.

I may also add a pipe fish. Not sure, but I may have too much flow for one... but we shall see.

toytech
05-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Very exciting ! Hope you get one tomorow they are such awsome fish . If you can get them to try and feed it , see if they can feed it blood worms , mine has loved them frome day 1.

paddyob
05-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Today. Yes I bought one. I will have him and the pics tonight. He is paid for at Aquarium Illusions and ready for pick up.

Stay tuned.

paddyob
05-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Ahem. I bought a pair.

noirsphynx
05-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Did you buy that nice big male in the top left tank?

paddyob
05-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Did you buy that nice big male in the top left tank?

No. Too big.

There was a male female pair in one of the tanks so took both.

paddyob
05-26-2011, 04:04 AM
After a long... Long acclimation, mandarins are in the tank. The make is exploring and already hunting.

Pics once they come more into view.

paddyob
05-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Both mandarins are good. They are still hanging out and following each other so hopefully they stay " friendly ".

StirCrazy
05-26-2011, 07:23 PM
in the long run you will not be able to produce the pods required in this size of tank for one mandrin little lone 2. but they are eating blood worms so you need to train them to eat a more ballanced food for them as blood worms are good for a suplament but not a staple. a high quality small pellet or something like that would be an ideal food to get them eating, but don't buy a bunch see if you can borrow a few table spoons from some one till you know you are sucessfull in getting them to eat it.

If I saw this sooner I would have urged you to go with a min of a 90 gal for a pair of mandrins but to late now. one way to help with the production of pods is to fill your refuge about 1/2 to 3/4 full of rubble rock. I did this in my 94 gal but hid the piles of rubble under the rock work and in the sump. with over 240 lbs of Live rock and rubble I went from tones of pods to seeing them once and a while with in a month of adding the mandrins so they are a large consumer and mine did mate several times as the tank was 24" tall. in hind site a 30" tall tank would be better but 24" works for the most part.

Steve

gobytron
05-26-2011, 08:11 PM
in the long run you will not be able to produce the pods required in this size of tank for one mandrin little lone 2. but they are eating blood worms so you need to train them to eat a more ballanced food for them as blood worms are good for a suplament but not a staple. a high quality small pellet or something like that would be an ideal food to get them eating, but don't buy a bunch see if you can borrow a few table spoons from some one till you know you are sucessfull in getting them to eat it.

If I saw this sooner I would have urged you to go with a min of a 90 gal for a pair of mandrins but to late now. one way to help with the production of pods is to fill your refuge about 1/2 to 3/4 full of rubble rock. I did this in my 94 gal but hid the piles of rubble under the rock work and in the sump. with over 240 lbs of Live rock and rubble I went from tones of pods to seeing them once and a while with in a month of adding the mandrins so they are a large consumer and mine did mate several times as the tank was 24" tall. in hind site a 30" tall tank would be better but 24" works for the most part.

Steve

I kept a pair for almost a year in a 12 gallon aquapod...
The tank had been established for YEARS prior to the pair being added and there was also the benefit of having the sump space in the back to pack with liverock rubble for 'pods to breed where there was no predation.

2 years later, that same pair is living in my 95 gallon.

It can be done in small systems, but they have to be perfect and dialld in for this specific species.

paddyob
05-26-2011, 08:30 PM
This is not my first time keeping mandarins. Thank you for your concern, but I am sure you will see that I have taken steps to support them.

I plan to train for frozen food.

Also... There us nothing else in this tank. Large. HOB fuge and this tank has been running non stop for about 4 years. I revamped it this year. V

Anyone who experienced Nano reefing knows keeping mandarins in a small tank IS very, very possible.

Steve

paddyob
05-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I do appreciate your comments !

Steve

StirCrazy
05-26-2011, 10:03 PM
This is not my first time keeping mandarins. Thank you for your concern, but I am sure you will see that I have taken steps to support them.

I plan to train for frozen food.

Also... There us nothing else in this tank. Large. HOB fuge and this tank has been running non stop for about 4 years. I revamped it this year. V

Anyone who experienced Nano reefing knows keeping mandarins in a small tank IS very, very possible.

no problem, I wasn't saying it can't be done, just that it is harder and more work ensuring you get mandrins that are taking dead food and taking the time to switch them to a more ballanced food.

I myself have been trying to figure out what to put in my 30 gal when it is finnished and I was thinking of one mandrin but I am still on the fence as I go away frequently for a couple days at the time so I wouldn't be able to feed it several times a day.

Steve

paddyob
05-26-2011, 11:48 PM
I had one over two years in a fully mixed reef. This tank I am using now used to be my nano.

It did eventually take frozen and then my tank crashed. Sad.

I figure I did it with one and 4 other fish. Why not two in a dedicated tank with fuge.

Slick Fork
05-27-2011, 12:28 AM
I had a mandarin in my old 110 gallon. Whenever I fed NLS pellets it would become visibly excited and race around snatching anything up that made it to the bottom. I didnt try to train it, it just sort of happened after a couple of months. I think it might've grabbed one by accident one day and that was that

toytech
05-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Im 6 months now with my mandarin in a 15 gal , Just added a sump last week . Dunno why everyone is so against it , there fish, i feed it just like the rest of my fish . I am going to try and get it to eat pellets though , if you have any sucess with that let me know .

StirCrazy
05-27-2011, 02:44 AM
Dunno why everyone is so against it , there fish, i feed it just like the rest of my fish .

the biggest reason is they are very resistant to eating man made or dead food, it is rare to see one which does eat food other than live pods. Now we are starting to see more as they are starting to be captive bread.

12 years ago when I got my pair there were only rhumors of mandrins that would eat anything other than there natural food, now you can actualy see them eating other stuff in pet stores. but mandrins eating prepared food (weather it be blood worms or what ever) is still an exception not the rule. and as captive raised ones become more common more people will be able to enjoy them.

Steve

StirCrazy
05-27-2011, 02:48 AM
I had one over two years in a fully mixed reef. This tank I am using now used to be my nano.

It did eventually take frozen and then my tank crashed. Sad.

I figure I did it with one and 4 other fish. Why not two in a dedicated tank with fuge.

I lost my female after 3 years but the male hung on for about 5 years in my 94, but mine were typical mandrins, would check out what I put in the tank then turn up there nose at it.

hey and why do you not have any pics up yet? :mrgreen:

Steve

intarsiabox
05-27-2011, 03:09 AM
I've seen mandarins in local stores every now and then that are already eating frozen. I believe Ken had some ORA ones that ate frozen a little while back.

paddyob
05-27-2011, 04:02 AM
I had a mandarin in my old 110 gallon. Whenever I fed NLS pellets it would become visibly excited and race around snatching anything up that made it to the bottom. I didnt try to train it, it just sort of happened after a couple of months. I think it might've grabbed one by accident one day and that was that

I am trying to train onto NLS finicky eater pellet. Loaded with garlic ha ha!

paddyob
05-27-2011, 04:03 AM
As for pics... the two of them are acting very shy. They swim about a lot... but usually on the back side of the rock wall and therefore hard to get a good shot of.

Soon. Sorry people. I am trying.

paddyob
05-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Based on some advice received through here... I have gone out to grab 2 pounds of live rubble and made a dedicated "pod pile" in the main display as well.

Not the most eye appealing... but this tank is about the Mandarins.

I already have the refugium filled with sand and rubble so hopefully this will help.

I also added "reef bugs" to the tank. Apparently its a good product so I figure I will give it a whirl.

Anyone used reef bugs before?

Still... bad pics. Be patient.

Thanks.

Greenmaster
05-28-2011, 12:13 AM
I have used "reef bugs" before... I didn't have mandarin's but I did you dry rock. I noticed some "small life" within about a week or so, as well as most of my fish ate some of the stuff.

paddyob
08-07-2011, 02:19 AM
The male never made it.

The female however, fat. She hides when she sees me still but appears motivated to move about when I drop NLS pellet in.

I believe she is eating this.

Myka
08-09-2011, 10:35 PM
If you deposit the food onto a small tray (like a plastic mayonnaise lid) everyday the Mandarins will get used to going there for food.

paddyob
10-22-2011, 02:10 PM
After many many months ... She finally stays out long enough for a photo.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu253/paddyob/42624725.jpg

Myka
10-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Yay! Are they eating well these days?

I see you have red bubble algae...that stuff is worse than green bubble algae. Trust me, I've been through that one. The balls are filled with slime...they are gross. I would suggest you attack it aggressively.

paddyob
10-22-2011, 02:56 PM
I do not attack any algaes in the tank.

Great for pod habitatation. The male never made it a month unfortunately, but she is fat!

I have not seen her take NLS yet, but I feed it three times a week and she Definately becomes aroused by it's presence.

My HOB fuge is amazing. For a 20g... I think I succeeded in making a mandarin suitable tank.

Needs more coral though. Kenya and gsp is all that's in there. More Softies wanted.

As for bubbles again... Attacking would mean adding something? Emerald?

makana
10-22-2011, 05:35 PM
I was able to remove my green bubble algae manually. Just don't pop the bubbles. It took months in my 10g and I didn't think I was ever going to win but eventually it went away.

daniella3d
11-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I had 2 mandarins in my tank before my yellow tang killed my beloved male (sold that yellow tang right away) and when they spawn they can get overboard and a cover is essential. I fetched my male mandarin on the floor one day after their spawning.

they both rise to the surface and sometime they even jump out of the water, so be aware of this. They need a high tank for that reason in order to properly spawn.

My female is so big and not laying any eggs since the male is gone, so I had to buy another one and he's in quarantine right now, but look at my female! She is in dire need of spawning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lP2JT_EboRA

Somebody suggested you get a live white worms culture and this is very good food for them and if you had this, your male would probably be alive still as they usualy go for that food quick. They also love masago (caplan eggs that you find on sushi) as this is part of their natural diet. I do not beleive that mandarin can live from pods alone in such size of tank, especially two.

You should get form white worms and feed them with white bread soaked in milk and Selcon. I enrich my white worms with Selcon and been giving this to my copperband for nearly a year now. He bearely eats anything else and he's fat and healthy. My female mandarin really loves the live white worms and if you get another male there are good chances that he will survive with this food.

As for coral, be aware that some coral will eat pods as well, so it is best not to put anything that will compete with the madarins for food, especialy if that's all they eat.

I have not seen her take NLS yet, but I feed it three times a week and she Definately becomes aroused by it's presence.

My HOB fuge is amazing. For a 20g... I think I succeeded in making a mandarin suitable tank.

paddyob
11-07-2011, 05:28 PM
There's only one now.

She seems to be taking NLS as well.

White worms were not available readily. None alive at the LFS when I looked.

My female is doing great. The tank will support one no questions. Two. I don't know.

BlueWorldAquatic
11-09-2011, 05:45 AM
There's only one now.

She seems to be taking NLS as well.

White worms were not available readily. None alive at the LFS when I looked.

My female is doing great. The tank will support one no questions. Two. I don't know.

I'll start a culture of white worms for you if you need one Pat

BlueWorldAquatic
11-09-2011, 05:48 AM
I had 2 mandarins in my tank before my yellow tang killed my beloved male (sold that yellow tang right away) and when they spawn they can get overboard and a cover is essential. I fetched my male mandarin on the floor one day after their spawning.

they both rise to the surface and sometime they even jump out of the water, so be aware of this. They need a high tank for that reason in order to properly spawn.

My female is so big and not laying any eggs since the male is gone, so I had to buy another one and he's in quarantine right now, but look at my female! She is in dire need of spawning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lP2JT_EboRA

Somebody suggested you get a live white worms culture and this is very good food for them and if you had this, your male would probably be alive still as they usualy go for that food quick. They also love masago (caplan eggs that you find on sushi) as this is part of their natural diet. I do not beleive that mandarin can live from pods alone in such size of tank, especially two.

You should get form white worms and feed them with white bread soaked in milk and Selcon. I enrich my white worms with Selcon and been giving this to my copperband for nearly a year now. He bearely eats anything else and he's fat and healthy. My female mandarin really loves the live white worms and if you get another male there are good chances that he will survive with this food.

As for coral, be aware that some coral will eat pods as well, so it is best not to put anything that will compete with the madarins for food, especialy if that's all they eat.

Are you sure she's full of eggs? I have seen mandarins spawn, and when they are full of eggs, none of them ever looked like that. I hope it is though. Hopefully it isn't gall bladder disease or constipation. Is she still eating?

paddyob
11-09-2011, 12:33 PM
I'll start a culture of white worms for you if you need one Pat

Sure Ken. I would not mind trying them out.

BlueWorldAquatic
11-09-2011, 02:41 PM
give me a week, I'll make up a sub-culture for you.

paddyob
11-09-2011, 02:57 PM
give me a week, I'll make up a sub-culture for you.

Ken Let me know day ahead when you will be there so you can give me a run down.

Thanks.

paddyob
12-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Rick in Morinville had to shut his system down and I grabbed his Royal Gramma.

She is beautiful and healthy. I figured it was a nice safe addition to the mandarin system. Should not be a threat or competition.

She has been in there some time now and both the mandarin and gramma are happy.

The Mandarin actually ventures around the tank more with the addition of a tank mate.

paddyob
01-26-2012, 06:20 PM
New lights coming soon.

Upgrade long overdue.

Moving from dual 65w pc to 4 bulb T5.

Stay tuned.

Reef Tank Engineer
02-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Dont use the hob overflow. Drill the tank and put a bulkhead in, it will save tou the worry of wondering if the siphon fails

paddyob
02-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Dont use the hob overflow. Drill the tank and put a bulkhead in, it will save tou the worry of wondering if the siphon fails

Thanks, but this has been running for about a year now.... with Mandarin.

And it is a HOB refugium, not overflow. CPR HOB Fuge with Koralia pump.

But yes, HOB overflows are the devil. Prone to siphon loss and hard to dial in.

Thanks.

Here is my Fuge video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL4DAwEs-D4

paddyob
03-07-2012, 04:41 AM
Gauging interest....

Might shut this system down.

Baby coming, this small tank is more work than my sump system.

Minus the fish.

paddyob
03-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Sadly, I see a shut down coming.

No time for two tanks.

Considering adding my mandarin to my 70g display. Them selling the Royal Gramma and storing the tank.

Took time to get a good 20g set up so why sell it. I'll
Get the bug for more tanks. In fact, asides from the display tank... The rest will eventually be a part of a new build. In my bar.

Maybe sea horses and mandarin.

We will see.

Hoping the mandarin takes to my tank.

Maybe I'll acclimate her to my sump. Drop all the rock from my 20 in there too.

paddyob
04-14-2012, 09:49 PM
The shut down has begun.

Starting moving all the rock to my other systems sump. Corals going today.

Gramma will be up for sale immediately and the Mandarin is going to make an entrance to my 70G system.

I may leave the tank running empty for a bit as I cannot seem to bring myself to dismantle the absolutely amazing refugium I have populated.

Might breed pods in there. Not much to think about.

I have high hopes of a new Mandarin build in the following year. BIGGER and built into my bar. Should be fun.

:wink:

Thanks for following.

paddyob
04-14-2012, 10:53 PM
corals sold.

paddyob
04-26-2012, 12:55 AM
So the shut down is almost complete.

Gramma has been sold.

Majority of the rock has been moved to my 70. The mandarin, maybe tonight I'll acclimate her to the 70.

The fuge is also going to the 70. Going to hang it on the front Of my sump. Since I never built the bottom skirt yet, I can accommodate it now to fit.

paddyob
04-27-2012, 01:52 AM
Mandarin moved to the 70.

A few frags found while moving rocks.

GSP, kenyas. Small green Paly colony.. 4-5 heads.

Shut down.

gregzz4
04-27-2012, 02:11 AM
Waiting to see the mandarin thrive in it's new home :wink:
I said it before but, good luck with the transfer, I hope it all goes well.
I too would want a beauty like that in my DT instead of, say, a back room tank

paddyob
04-27-2012, 02:33 AM
Waiting to see the mandarin thrive in it's new home :wink:
I said it before but, good luck with the transfer, I hope it all goes well.
I too would want a beauty like that in my DT instead of, say, a back room tank

Acclimated her last night. During the dusk cycle of my lights... Then shut all lights off and dropped her in.

Today she looks fine, no signs of any aggression from others tank mates at all.

The fuge is going with her too!

gregzz4
04-27-2012, 09:13 AM
The fuge is going with her too!
What does this mean ?
Are you installing an external fuge ?
I don't get it ....

paddyob
04-27-2012, 12:01 PM
What does this mean ?
Are you installing an external fuge ?
I don't get it ....

Yes external. CPR HOB fuge... Moving it from the 20 to hang on my 40g sump.

gregzz4
04-28-2012, 03:11 AM
If I'd read further back, I doubt I would have asked that rather dumb question :rolleyes:

paddyob
04-29-2012, 12:02 AM
If I'd read further back, I doubt I would have asked that rather dumb question :rolleyes:

All good.

mikeclarke
09-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Are Mandarins super hard to keep? They look awesome. Could I keep one in a mixed reef tank?

Dr.Campus
02-25-2014, 04:07 AM
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/saltwater-reef/feature-articles/breeding-mandarins-full-article.htm
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/saltwater-reef/feature-articles/breeding-mandarins-full-article.htm

I am attempting to do the same thing except on a more lazy scale. I am keeping them in my main tank and just watching for mating signals when they are in the tank. These two articles i found seem to explain quite a lot if you are looking for more information. I also made sure that they had plenty of nooks to hide in so they feel more safe and promote mating

paddyob
02-25-2014, 04:19 AM
They are not easy. They require a live food source to survive as most won't eat anything else. "Most".

In a bigger community target should be fine, but you will never have more than a spawning show. The fry will either be eaten or filtered out.

I ran a 20 dedicated tank. With refugium (currently for sale) on back. It ran for two years and I shut down as no time.