PDA

View Full Version : Sand (clean it or not)

roverT
12-31-2003, 05:46 AM
Hi, I'm about to make the move from a 90gallon to a 135gallon. Question is should I clean all the sand or just scoop it out and dump it in?

Aquattro
12-31-2003, 06:07 AM
When I upgraded my 75 to a 155, I just dumped it in. If I did it again, I'd dump it in again. No harm done at all.

Jack
12-31-2003, 09:45 AM
Keep in mind you took out your sandbed cause of algae problems Brad. :razz:

MitchM
12-31-2003, 12:29 PM
(..lol..)

I wouldn't bother cleaning it, but you should expect some poor water quality issues at first until the sand bed sorts itself out.
If you can re-use the old water, that would be a good idea too.

Mitch

StirCrazy
12-31-2003, 01:17 PM
Keep in mind you took out your sandbed cause of algae problems Brad. :razz:

not realy true, he took it out because he added some extra well after the move that had uncertian qualities to it. it was after this addition he had the algae problems as his sand bed was only 2" thick after the move.

Steve

martym
12-31-2003, 01:20 PM
I just went from 55 to 90 back to 75 all with the same sand with no problems. I got some diatoms but the only lasted 3-4 day now they are gone. Just make sure you skimmer is well tuned.

StirCrazy
12-31-2003, 01:21 PM
(..lol..)

If you can re-use the old water, that would be a good idea too.

Mitch

I don't subscribe to this myth anymore. after moving my tank twice I used new water each time and I never had any ill effects. Infact I think my results were better than what I have seen from others using old water.

People say to use the old water because of the bacteria in it but the amount in the water is tiny compared to what is in the sand and rock, infact the water born backteria is so small in number compared to the sand/rock bacteria it is insignificant. Also by using new water you remove any toxins that were produced from the move its self as eveything is stressed and releasing stuff.

one thing to be certian is that you get your new water peramitors as close to the old water as you can then do proper alcimatization. the only old water that went into mine was a couple gallons from the bucket the fish were stored in and such.

Steve

MitchM
12-31-2003, 01:28 PM
I don't really consider it a myth.. :wink:

I just like the aspect of transferring over as much diversity as possible.

Mitch

Aquattro
12-31-2003, 04:21 PM
Keep in mind you took out your sandbed cause of algae problems Brad. :razz:Over a year later Jack, and that was after I added kitty litter.

EmilyB
12-31-2003, 11:49 PM
[quote=Jack]Over a year later Jack, and that was after I added kitty litter.

:rolleyes: :razz: