PDA

View Full Version : Starfish

Hangfire
02-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Hello everyone

I'm thinking of getting a fromia monilis starfish for my tank and just wanted to know if anyone has one - and if so, do you have any pointers? I've done some reading about starfish in general, but wanted to know about these ones in particular. Do they feed well (I see from my reading that they will take small pieces of shrimp and such), and are they totally reef safe?

gobytron
02-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Maybe share a bit about the tank you plan to keep it in..

size and how old it is with how much live rock?

Hangfire
02-11-2011, 07:43 PM
The tank is a 60 gallon cube (2x2x2) with a 20 gallon sump. The tank has been up and running for 6 months, but all the live rock in the tank came from two other tanks I had - one had been running for around 18 months (about 35 lbs. of rock) and the other was a nano tank with just a couple of pounds (if that). So the tank is running with maybe 35 pounds of rock right now. No fish in the tank (it's a long story), some sps and lps, two nasso snails, and that's it.

All the tank parameters are good - so zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. I'm working on bringing my alk up (it's around 7.5 right now) and my mag up too (it's in the mid 1200s). Calciums around 400.