PDA

View Full Version : 6" acrylic tubing on ebay cheap

chwkreefer
12-31-2003, 04:34 AM
Thought some of you might like to check this out. It was posted on RC already. A guy in Chicago is selling 14" pieces of 1/8" - 6" OD tubing for $2 US funds per piece. It sounds like extruded and not cast. As of this point he still has 350 pieces left.

The shipping is the only expensive part about it. I emailed him and he wants about $22.75 to ship 4 pieces out via economy parcel post.

Anyone know if there would be a brokerage fee involved with this transaction?

The link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2368327798&category=121

Samw
12-31-2003, 08:20 AM
$5 if using postal service.

StirCrazy
12-31-2003, 01:14 PM
at 30US for just over 4 feet of tubing if becomes not so cheep anymore. what I don't understand is how he is able to sell it at 2bucks a foot when that is less than 1/2 the best price I have ever found :confused: this is definatly something I would want to see befor I bought to see if it is scratched up or what not.

Steve

chwkreefer
12-31-2003, 03:54 PM
I just received another email from the guy and it is $22.75 US funds for shipping 4 pieces. The shipping is double the price of what he charges for shipping in the Continental USA. So it would basically cost .72 cents per inch CAD funds delivered before brokerage.

Can a person buy 6" acrylic tubing for less than $8.65 (all taxes in) locally (Lower Mainland)? If I recall I bought some 4" offcuts at IP in Langley and it was quite abit more.

Gujustud
12-31-2003, 03:59 PM
I'm gonna look into where I can buy cheap tubing. I work at my dad's CNC machine shop, so we deal with a number of suppliers. I just started the whole reef thing, but I'm looking at making my own skimmer.

chwkreefer
12-31-2003, 04:02 PM
at 30US for just over 4 feet of tubing if becomes not so cheep anymore. what I don't understand is how he is able to sell it at 2bucks a foot when that is less than 1/2 the best price I have ever found :confused: this is definatly something I would want to see befor I bought to see if it is scratched up or what not.

Steve

Did you read the ad on ebay? It is an overstock item from a time capsule project. He started out with I think 500 pieces to sell. He now has 270 left.

On reefcentral one person stated that the seller emailed her to describe the tubing and said there were "faint lines" in the acrylic.

Hey Steve how much do you pay per foot (all taxes in) for 6" acrylic tubing?

chwkreefer
12-31-2003, 05:47 PM
I just received another email from the guy and it is $22.75 US funds for shipping 4 pieces. The shipping is double the price of what he charges for shipping in the Continental USA. So it would basically cost .72 cents per inch CAD funds delivered before brokerage.

Can a person buy 6" acrylic tubing for less than $8.65 (all taxes in) locally (Lower Mainland)? If I recall I bought some 4" offcuts at IP in Langley and it was quite abit more.

That should read $8.65 per lineal foot.

StirCrazy
12-31-2003, 09:09 PM

Steve

Did you read the ad on ebay? It is an overstock item from a time capsule project. He started out with I think 500 pieces to sell. He now has 270 left.

On reefcentral one person stated that the seller emailed her to describe the tubing and said there were "faint lines" in the acrylic.

Hey Steve how much do you pay per foot (all taxes in) for 6" acrylic tubing?

the cheepest I have found it is only slightly less than that but I picked it up myself.

one thing to remember if the "ground shipping is UPS, which is mostlikly" they have a minimum 35.00 brokerage fee then you have to give them the damn PST also upon delivery (on the CDN value) so you will be looking at 77.00ish CDN when it is all said and done. (this works out to 16.50/linieal foot) so if it is UPS you are better off buying it on the island which is about 14.00/foot for 6"

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
12-31-2003, 10:27 PM
"faint lines", sounds like regular extruded acrylic tube

chwkreefer
01-01-2004, 12:49 AM
Hey Steve, he would be sending it via "economy parcel post" I assume that is via mail, isn't it.

I agree if it were UPS, I wouldn't touch the deal. A few years ago I bought a $12 vial of resting rotifer cysts out of the US. It was a tiny vial (1.25" h x 1/4" diameter) that could have fit in a small envelope and mailed out. By the time I finished paying the taxes and brokerage to UPS; that stupid little bottle of dust cost me about $70. So I've tried to stay clear of UPS shipping when ordering from the US.

Bill

UnderWorldAquatics
01-01-2004, 01:01 AM
my definition of UPS is, anal rapists
I dont touch them and if something shows up collect through them I refuse it, they are the reason small business go bankrupt, every couple weeks I seem to get random bills from UPS saying I owe them money and need to send payment right away, i phone them up, ask whats up, and they say it must be an error, I think they just try to see how many people pay for random bills.... these invoices are for hundreds of dollars US, if you have a problem with UPS, tell me about it, I like yelling at the regional manager, it relives my stress.... :lol:

chwkreefer
01-01-2004, 01:42 AM
I dont touch them and if something shows up collect through them I refuse it, they are the reason small business go bankrupt, every couple weeks I seem to get random bills from UPS saying I owe them money and need to send payment right away, i phone them up, ask whats up, and they say it must be an error, I think they just try to see how many people pay for random bills.... these invoices are for hundreds of dollars US, if you have a problem with UPS, tell me about it, I like yelling at the regional manager, it relives my stress.... :lol:

C'mon tell us how you really feel . . . don't hold back! your among friends here. It's a safe place. :lol: So I see for you the three letters that make up UPS is actually a four letter word for you!! :evil:

Based on my little experience with them, I can totally agree. When I used to do contract work with Microsoft they always FedEX'd everything to me (everything prepaid or on account) so my first (and only experience with UPS) is when I got that flippin little vial of rotifer cysts and was informed I had to pay an amount basically 3 times more than the value of what I spent, I almost had a heart attack :eek:

Certainly the next time I need a Pit Bull to do some barking at UPS for me, I'll be sure to email you.

Can anyone confirm that Economy Parcel Post is using the "postal service" :question:

Bill

UnderWorldAquatics
01-01-2004, 01:47 AM
anytime "post" is used in a shipping term, it almost always refers to postal service

chwkreefer
01-01-2004, 02:05 AM
anytime "post" is used in a shipping term, it almost always refers to postal service

That's what I thought. Steve's reply in this thread confused me.

BCOrchidGuy
01-01-2004, 03:46 AM
Gotta like people who call a spade a spade. I used to keep seahorses and was bringing live shrimp up from Las Vegas, the fellow I bought from was excellent to deal with, but the shipping, out of this world, plus I had to pick them up at the airport, plus, somehow (no one knows how) the brokers would open my box to verify the contents, and one of the two bags of shrimp ALWAYS dissapeared. When you're buying 200 shrimp and expecting to pay 50cents each and only 100 make it, all the sudden a buck a shrimp is to rich for me to be feeding seahorses.

The acrylic, I've seen super cheap stuff too, they call it 1/8th in thickness but you can bend it, pinch it etc, it's super thin and has faint lines alright but they are obvious. How much 6in do you want I can get you a price from a guy who says' he's got tons of it.

Doug

chwkreefer
01-01-2004, 05:20 AM
Doug, you've got PM

StirCrazy
01-01-2004, 01:19 PM

not realy.. the last 3 items I got that were sent by POST ended up showing up via UPS and hence were refused.

e-mail the seller and ask him what his econimal post is. In the us UPS ground is refured to as econimal as it is cheep unless you hit the border.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
01-01-2004, 06:00 PM

not realy.. the last 3 items I got that were sent by POST ended up showing up via UPS and hence were refused.

e-mail the seller and ask him what his econimal post is. In the us UPS ground is refured to as econimal as it is cheep unless you hit the border.

Steve

I guess you bought off of the uneducated... :lol:
UPS is not a post service, its a courier
but yeah, I know what you mean, people never use correct terminology

StirCrazy
01-01-2004, 11:45 PM
I guess you bought off of the uneducated... :lol:
UPS is not a post service, its a courier
but yeah, I know what you mean, people never use correct terminology

ya and the think was these were huge companies not little ones or priviat people.. the problem is that huge companies send there regular mail via curier and the mentaility is that that is post. the reason for this is UPS is so damn cheep when staying with in the US that when they send stacks of mail from one office to the other it is actualy cheeper than paying postage on each letter. Also the supply/delivery chain in the US is becomming based on a currier set up instead of mail so to them UPS is commen and cheep and why would anyone even concider the inefficient USPS system when you have UPS.

Steve

stephane
01-19-2004, 06:47 AM

UPS are the worst shipping compagny I ever deal with. I will never deal with them anymore

they loose stuff.....break..... dont want to pay even when ensured and when they do it take month. I also get volume discount but they never aply it and charge full price when receive the bill, customer servise is bullshit and it goes one and one..............

UnderWorldAquatics
01-19-2004, 07:05 AM
I used to run a distributor wharehouse for floursent tubes for tanning beds, we shipped through UPS(not my choice) I was my job dealing with them. I swear they jumped on boxes becuase they were too lazy to deliver them, and they would against our wishes throw away our boxes if they were broken, they would break 10 laws every shipment. I never understood employees that would defend their crappy company, telling me Im lucky to have such good service...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was always polite on the phone untill they would argue against me, what the hell do they care for, its not comming off their pay cheque, I would have to get transfered to the manager almost every phone call, this is the way they treated a big distributor, we shipped about 500 big boxes a month and they still treated us like crap, just imagine how much they care about 1 box a random person ships.... because it wasnt my money I was managing, it was kinda fun yelling at UPS all the time, but not so fun when it means Im loosing thousands of dollars because they are tools thats why I wont touch them.....