PDA

View Full Version : Tank sitter services (Calgary)

Delphinus
02-10-2011, 05:48 AM
Looking to get a tank sitter for a week and a half in April. Before I impose on family friends or neighbours, I am wondering if there are any professional tank sitters who do it as a paid service? Any recommendations or anyone out there does this, that Evergreen in the SW isn't out of the way for? Please and thank you?

Delphinus
02-11-2011, 03:10 AM
Bumpity

eli@fijireefrock.com
02-11-2011, 03:13 AM
Tony i would love to help.
you should move to the north end of Calgary.

Nate
02-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Hey Tony, I can help if you want. My recommendation is to have a neighbor come in and to just leave my number if they have any questions.
I am leaving for the long weekend though so that could be a bit tough.

Nate

globaldesigns
02-11-2011, 04:22 AM
Hey Tony,

I will make you a deal... I will eventually want a holiday also. I can help you out, if one day you can return the favour.

Let me know,

Rick

BMW Rider
02-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Just drop your tank off at my place while your gone. I'm by the airport anyway so you can do it on your way there :lol:

abcha0s
02-11-2011, 04:53 PM
I'd be happy to check in on your tank while you are away. Let me know.

On a sepeate note - I also need a tank sitter for July 2nd - July 16th (two weeks). I could start a new thread, but it seemed reasonable to jump in on this one. I'm at Deerfoot and 130th.

- Brad

Delphinus
02-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks all. I had sort of opened this thread in the hopes that I'd find an actual professional service that would perform this as an invoiceable service just to see what/who was out there but I guess it looks like there is no such thing. :lol:

Turns out globaldesigns and I live pretty close to each other so we'll come up with a gentlemen's agreement over this.

@Abcha0s- I'm not sure if I'm around that time otherwise I'd offer up but I can certainly be a backup contact if need be, just would maybe need a quick once-over of the system before you go so I'd know what to do in the event of an issue.

JohnnyReeftank
02-12-2011, 01:34 AM
I came across this link once and saved it

http://www.aquariummedics.com/

Never tried it so I cant give any feedback

kien
02-12-2011, 05:24 AM
I need a tank sitter for January 12th, 2011, to January 12th, 2061 (inclusive). Is anyone available? Thanks.

24storm
02-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I was gonna offer up to help until i re read that. Sorry im out lol

I need a tank sitter for January 12th, 2011, to January 12th, 2061 (inclusive). Is anyone available? Thanks.

muck
02-12-2011, 04:24 PM

I can help for Jan. 2055 - Dec. 2059.. if that helps?!? :wink:

Blue Ram
03-07-2011, 06:20 PM
I've just left a message for Aquarium Medics as I too need a tank sitter for March 26th to April 3rd. I'm in the west end. If anyone is available (willing to compensate), please contact me. Would need someone to empty and clean protein skimmer cup, run some tests and dose as needed. Feeding and top-ups are covered by a neighbour.

sharkbubbles
08-22-2011, 01:35 AM
We just used Aquarium Medics, resonably priced, on a 2-week vacation did a 10% water change, skimmer cleaned, frozen food fed per visit, checked on the livestock, did target feeding, was willing to change out lightbulbs if needed, etc. Didn't want to leave it to relatives as no one is savvy on saltwater. Anthony is really nice and had lots of tips on our 90 gal system and would trust him with our tank on our next vacation. Hope that helps :smile:

Myka
08-22-2011, 04:26 AM
When you guys are looking for tank sitters be sure to check that they are bonded and insured (ask was their limit is). That way if they do something dumb and burn your house down or leave the door open and thugs steal your ginch then it will be covered.

I prefer to use a maintenance company because they (should) know what to do in a tank emergency, but also because of the insurance. If your friend did something dumb and burned your house down or got busted sniffing your ginch then your relationship may become a bit stressed!

lastlight
08-22-2011, 05:18 AM
or got busted sniffing your ginch then your relationship may become a bit stressed!

There's no WAY Tony would ever find out. I mean... was a pleasure tank-sitting for ya bro =)

globaldesigns
08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
If your friend did something dumb and burned your house down or got busted sniffing your ginch then your relationship may become a bit stressed!

JUST EWWWWWW....

Tony, no worries, I did neither!

Anytime, you need me, just ask... I see lastlight also helped... Now you have 2 of us to assist.

Parker
08-22-2011, 06:07 PM
There's no WAY Tony would ever find out.

I'm sure you gave the room a once over looking for Nannie cams? I'd hate to see you become the next YouTube sensation.......

globaldesigns
08-22-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm sure you gave the room a once over looking for Nannie cams? I'd hate to see you become the next YouTube sensation.......

HEHE, I installed my own, when I helped him over his Hawaii holiday... Working on the Delphinus Compilation, COMING SOON!!!

Are you worried Tony? HEHEHEHEHEHE LOL.... SNORT!

Myka
08-22-2011, 07:36 PM
You guys are hilarious.

lastlight
08-22-2011, 07:36 PM
HEHE, I installed my own, when I helped him over his Hawaii holiday... Working on the Delphinus Compilation, COMING SOON!!!

Are you worried Tony? HEHEHEHEHEHE LOL.... SNORT!

I ummm... need to talk to you then (before you start reviewing that footage)

sphelps
08-22-2011, 07:56 PM
When you guys are looking for tank sitters be sure to check that they are bonded and insured (ask was their limit is). That way if they do something dumb and burn your house down or leave the door open and thugs steal your ginch then it will be covered.

I prefer to use a maintenance company because they (should) know what to do in a tank emergency, but also because of the insurance. If your friend did something dumb and burned your house down or got busted sniffing your ginch then your relationship may become a bit stressed!

While partially true and good advice you will have a hard time finding a person with such insurance. Most these guys are not likely to even have business licenses and getting proper liability insurance and everything else you need isn't that easy and pretty expensive, it would only make sense if it was a full time business with decent revenue.

In all reality it's also not really required, home insurance requires that someone checks on the residence every so often and you don't need any special maintenance company to preform such task. So provided the person watching your tank was in agreement to be acting as a someone trusted to preform this task which may also include some tank maintenance stuff you will be covered even if the person does cause damage.

However if the person is acting as an official contractor then yes they must be setup appropriately but more for their benefit and not yours. Your home insurance is still likely to get the bill no matter what as proving the cause of failure a result of the contractor will be difficult, the contractors insurance really only acts as a team of lawyers to save the contractor the trouble of dealing with a lawsuit.

I know this because I was a contractor who did maintenance type work among other things and I did have the insurance and an incident with significant damages. Basically all my insurance did was tell the other insurance company to **** off. When it comes right down to it I wasn't liable unless I agreed in writing otherwise which even then isn't a guaranty unless perhaps it's notarized.

globaldesigns
08-22-2011, 07:56 PM
I ummm... need to talk to you then (before you start reviewing that footage)

My "Money Shot" is blurry, how is yours?

Parker
08-22-2011, 11:43 PM
My "Money Shot" is blurry, how is yours?

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/RParker_07/Shocked.png.

lastlight
08-22-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't think Tony's coming back :lol:

Myka
08-23-2011, 12:16 AM
While partially true and good advice you will have a hard time finding a person with such insurance. Most these guys are not likely to even have business licenses and getting proper liability insurance and everything else you need isn't that easy and pretty expensive, it would only make sense if it was a full time business with decent revenue.

In all reality it's also not really required, home insurance requires that someone checks on the residence every so often

I agree that most of the tank maintenance companies don't have insurance. There is only one company in Saskatoon and he is not insured. Go to a larger area like Vancouver and there are many of them with full liability insurance that covers the livestock as well as the home.

The dog sitter I use does have full liability insurance.

Most people's home insurance doesn't cover any livestock in the tank, so using home insurance will only fix the damage, and maybe cover some lost equipment.

We carry $2M of additional liability insurance for my partner as he is an oil field supervisor and carries responsibility for many people. The company he works for only covers $1M. The additional $2M isn't overly expensive, so I imagine it couldn't be that bad for a maintenance company. Although maybe the additional insurance is cheaper because the first $1M is already covered...?

sphelps
08-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Depends on the industry and being an independent contractor is much different and how much revenue you bring in makes a difference. Typically more revenue means a more reliable and established company so less risk and cheaper insurance. I'm still a contractor now and I pay way less for insurance as an engineer even though the projects I work on now have WAY more at stake and the risks and danger are much higher, we're taking million dollar projects now compared to a few grand at most before.

It's pretty stupid really but aquarium maintenance and that industry in general is a blank for most people, go the bank and ask for a loan to open a fish store or anything related, you won't get it unless you have a ton of assets but ask for one to open a pizza store and you'll have no problem.

Also yes the additional liability would be significantly cheaper, same for virtually any insurance.

Way off topic now but the point is you don't need someone insured or bonded as that really only protects the contractor anyway, not yourself. Livestock would never be covered under any insurance company and your home insurance will cover you in most cases. All you really need is someone you trust, I'd always opt for a friend or fellow reefer over one of these "companies".

Delphinus
08-23-2011, 05:30 AM
OMG you guys ! :lol:

Hey, take footage or not .. it's your own retinas at risk !!! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agnmysB-2Gc&

Delphinus
08-23-2011, 05:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vT1CLv5xsU

Nate
08-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Just an fyi...

N8's Aquarium Maintenance carries 2 million liability insurance. To not have insurance and work on some of the tanks I do... well... I'm not prepared to give up my first born, nor an arm and a leg.

sphelps
08-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Just an fyi...

N8's Aquarium Maintenance carries 2 million liability insurance. To not have insurance and work on some of the tanks I do... well... I'm not prepared to give up my first born, nor an arm and a leg.

I'd like to see these tanks in Calgary that can cause 2 million dollars in damages :wink:

Aquarium_Medics
08-23-2011, 07:46 PM
I carry 1 million liability which is the minium you can get.

globaldesigns
08-23-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't think a broken tank would cause that much damage, but lets say the tank tips over on someone, injuring or killing them? Then the liability would be needed, probably not enough though in today's world.

I don't offer tank services, but being a business owner in the internet realm, I carry 10 million in liability. Just in case.

I think any business owner, no matter the product or service should protect themselves. It is just a cost of doing business.

So Tony, when I post the footage I have of you, please sue me and then we can split it! OOOOPS, was that my outside voice?

Nate
08-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Its not always the size of the tank...its where it is... decent size tank in a penthouse goes, and you have 4 stories worth of issues.

Plus the price difference between 1 mill and 2 mill was like nothing...and its much more baller to say 2 mill. lol

Plus you can never be covered for too much.

Nate
08-23-2011, 07:52 PM
I wonder if my liability insurance would cover my house if something went wrong with my 500 gal?

globaldesigns
08-23-2011, 07:55 PM
I wonder if my liability insurance would cover my house if something went wrong with my 500 gal?

Probably not, but that is what your house insurance is for. I also agree, can't have too much coverage.

lastlight
08-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Pics!

globaldesigns
08-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Pics!

Yah, pics... Great catch lastlight

Nate
08-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Noteably as it is the same footprint as last lights...

Also...Im not internet or canreef savvy... dont know how to post em...anyone wanna post some emailed pics?

I was kinda waiting til my stand was done to post em, but Ill give a preview here pretty quick

lastlight
08-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Noteably as it is the same footprint as last lights...

If you mean my current 97g then that tank of yours is TALL =) Heck either way your tank is tall!

sphelps
08-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Its not always the size of the tank...its where it is... decent size tank in a penthouse goes, and you have 4 stories worth of issues.

Plus the price difference between 1 mill and 2 mill was like nothing...and its much more baller to say 2 mill. lol

Plus you can never be covered for too much.
Different story if you designed, built and installed a piece of equipment that failed, however simply maintaining someones tank would not leave you liable if something failed, even if it killed someone. Even if you purposely smashed the tank unless they could physically prove you did so it would just come down to equipment failure and provided you didn't build the tank you're 100% not liable. I had decent coverage as well but it was because I was building and installing equipment, if it was strictly maintenance I wouldn't have bothered.

Nate are you incorporated? I learned a lot when I was in the business and you might be surprised what you're actually covered for. For example, any plumbing you actually should be licensed, any electrical same deal. Anything warranting high structural load may require engineering approval. If **** really hits the fan hard your insurance company will likely just pull out. This is partially why I don't do the business anymore, too much risk.