PDA

View Full Version : Removing Silicone Residue??

The Grizz
02-09-2011, 11:10 PM
I have a 116 gal tank that i have totally taken apart, scraped off as much of the silicone as I could with a razor blade but there is still a light film left behind. What could I use to remove it? I am planning on re-sealing the tank with black GE SCS 1200.

Aquattro
02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
If the blade is sharp, it should get it all. That's all I used on my 180. Barring that, maybe acetone?

The Grizz
02-09-2011, 11:22 PM
If the blade is sharp, it should get it all. That's all I used on my 180. Barring that, maybe acetone?

I have a brand new box of blades but this stuff is really on there. I was thinking of some kind of solvent but was not sure if it would be a good idea. I guess as long as I get it all off then wash glass with vinegar it should be ok.

xtreme
02-09-2011, 11:40 PM
I know DAP makes a silicone removal product. Never used it so I can't comment on how well it works. Pretty sure Home Depot stocks it.

http://www.dap.com/docs/tech/00017116001.pdf

Delphinus
02-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Elbow grease and replace the razor blades a lot so you're constantly working with the sharpest possible. It is possible to manually remove it all but it takes effort and a lot of back-and-forth.

Leah
02-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Googone for silicone removal... tip from Bvlester (Bill) :biggrin: Just picked some up at Rona. Can you guess what for??? :wink:

globaldesigns
02-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Oh come on Greg, with all the money you have, just buy new.... HEHE... I would through away my $$$$ if I had yours.

K, seriously though, I would just buy a bunch of sharp razor blades and it should take it off.

The Grizz
02-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Oh come on Greg, with all the money you have, just buy new.... HEHE... I would through away my $$$$ if I had yours.

K, seriously though, I would just buy a bunch of sharp razor blades and it should take it off.

Ok well throw your $$$ this way I will take care of it for you :lol:

I switch to a Olfa knife blade instead of the straight blades and it is slowly coming off. I have some time to get it all cleaned up as my black silicone has not come in just yet.

Wingin It
02-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Wood Chisels work awesome ;)

The Grizz
02-10-2011, 01:01 AM
Wood Chisels work awesome ;)

:surprise: seriously! Some of it is on there like it needs to be chiseled off.

Wingin It
02-10-2011, 01:19 AM
:surprise: seriously! Some of it is on there like it needs to be chiseled off.

hahaha...i believe you, that's how I got the idea to use them. My husband has never been so appalled! lol