PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge with biopellets

asylumdown
02-09-2011, 03:59 AM
so... it was a total impulse purchase, but I had always assumed my sump cabinet was too full to run any sort of reactor. Turns out you don't need much of a reactor for a 90 gallon tank!

I've been having algae issues almost since day one, but my NO3 and PO3 readings have always been darn near undetectable, I figure that's just cuz all the extra is getting gobbled up by the algae as soon as it's produced. So much so I don't even bother testing anymore, I can tell just by looking at the tank when nutrients are building up.

Anyway, we'll see how this goes. I've been wanting to up the ante on nutrient export for a while now, because all I've been doing is protein skimming so far. We shall see how it goes. I'll try taking some pictures tomorrow for a 'before' shot.

Tank - 90 gallon w/ 20 gallon sump
Reactor - super cheap PhosBan 150 (quick and dirty)
Pellets - Vertex - Starting with 200 ml, lowest recommended amount for my size system, output pointing at intake of skimmer.

pyke
02-10-2011, 05:58 AM
I have been looking at trying the biopellets for a while but didnt want to create a issue for a tank that is getting more and more stable by the day.

I am interested to see what others have to say about the biopellets. I was told by many people the miricle mud refugium I have is snake oil but I know if I have a coral that is not doing great I put it in the refugium and within days we see an huge improvement in the coral.

we also had some issues with algae and switching to RO water solved most of the issues.

mattdean
02-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Go slow with the pellets. If you dump in the total recommended amount you may get some problems, ie: cyano, LPS problems. I started with 250 ml for my 125, then after a few weeks added another 250ml.

Any sudden/large change to your system can be a shock to the livestock.

Hangfire
02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Aren't biopellets simple a medium for growing helpful bacteria? How could added too much shock the system? Just curious.

mattdean
02-10-2011, 04:32 PM
I know, it sounded weird to me at first, but even a good change - say, lowering nitrates/phosphates - if done too drastically can effect your corals. LPS can recede and lose color, etc. Any major swing in parameters can negatively livestock, good or bad.

It's like when we come in from the cold to a mall and they have those heater fans blowing crazy hot air at the entrance. Of course, it's nice to get warm, but it's such a difference it can be hard to breathe and uncomfortable.

Also, a lot of guys reported problems - especially cyano. This happened usually when they would put a lot of pellets in from the beginning.

cale262
02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
I tried 500ml. of the vertex BP's in a 70gal system, they were tumbling nice in a TLF reactor but two days later (happened quick) I was having all kinds of issues... cloudy water, dying corals, missing inverts, cyano, etc....I pulled the BP's, big wc, doubled up the carbon and it took a few weeks for things to level out again...

IMHO, I think I rushed it, lesson learned, I'm going to try them again but am going to start off slow on the new system.

GMGQ
02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I started running TLF NPX Biopellets on January 24, 2011, and a few days ago my skimmer starting skimming like crazy. I think the biopellets have finally kicked in! Now I'm getting a lot of foam everyday. Before, the foam was barely reaching into the cup.

I've also noticed some beige coloured gunk floating out of the biopellet reactor, so I guess that's the excess bacteria being sloughed off. Make sure the flow into your reactor is causing ALL the biopellets to tumble. Not crazy tumbling, but enough so that if you're watching a single pellet at the side of your reactor, you can see that pellet make it's way to the top, then all the way down, etc. A lot of times the bottom portion of the pellets will not tumble, and in the long run they may fuse together into a nasty clump, and you'll have to take it out and clean them off.

I've been battling hair algae, even though my nitrates test at near zero. So hopefully this will put me on the right track to beat the algae. I'm still pinching out as much of the algae as I can each day, and I've enlisted some hermit crabs and a couple of mexican turbo snails to join the battle.

p.s. I have a 70gal + maybe 10-15gal sump, and a fuge with lots of chaeto. I'm running about 300-400mL of pellets in my Phosban150 reactor + MJ1200 (choked with a mini ball valve to achieve desired tumbling). I originally had 250mL in there, then I added more. Once the bacteria is established, you can add more than the recommended amount of pellets for your tank size.

Good luck!

ottoman
02-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Gary, have you check your phosphates? it may be the phosphates feeding your hair algae, not nitrates. I also run some GFO together with Biopellets. I read bacteria takes nitrates and phosphates in a ratio. So if there is no nitrates present, phosphates will not be reduced. Don't just take my words, do some research.

Too fast = Bacteria Bloom = No good

GMGQ
02-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Havent checked phosphates lately.

But dont the biopellets reduce Nitrates AND Phosphates?

I havent had a bacterial bloom (knock on wood). Hair algae levels have been relatively the same since the start. But some algae on the back glass has started to turn grey...

Gary, have you check your phosphates? it may be the phosphates feeding your hair algae, not nitrates. I also run some GFO together with Biopellets. I read bacteria takes nitrates and phosphates in a ratio. So if there is no nitrates present, phosphates will not be reduced. Don't just take my words, do some research.

Too fast = Bacteria Bloom = No good

globaldesigns
02-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Havent checked phosphates lately.

I havent had a bacterial bloom (knock on wood). Hair algae levels have been relatively the same since the start. But some algae on the back glass has started to turn grey...

Yeah, check your phosphates... I had alot of SPS death this summer, and never check phosphates... I now test and can tell you that they were up there. I am using pellets with vodka and the combination of both is working well... Phosphates almost at undetectable range and my corals are showing great growth now. I even have had to start dosing MG, Str, and Calcium again outside of the normal water changes. Haven't needed to do this for about 6 months. So a great sign that corals are now using it.

Bblinks
02-10-2011, 10:07 PM
I started pellets back in June 2010. started with 500ml np pellets, 300gph through next reef reactor. it ran for a few day before I noticed some cyano out break. I kept it running for another month or two without messing with anything except putting in some extra biostart to kick it off, everything started to look good. as far as the testing is concerned. after 6 month I noticed the pellets went down about a third, so I added another 500ml. Same deal some cyano came back but within a few days it went away. I test my phosphate and my nirate very frequently, it is alway at zero. I know its kind of hard to believe, but I use hanna for my phosphate and elos for nirate. and just to make sure I got jl aquatics to test and confirmed my results. also I do run a little bit of rowa phos just to get rid of the rest of the phosphate since the np pellet will stop when all the nirate has been removed. if any one running a refugium than I wouldn't even suggest you running rowa phos.

key for success is to take your time and leave it alone for a while, not just a couple of days. every system is different so please test test test.

ottoman
02-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Yes, they do, but at a different ratio. Just for example, they use up 5ppm Nitrates with only 1ppm Phosphates. I cannot remember the exact numbers. So if there is 0 nitrates, they cannot just reduce phosphates. That is what I understand from my reading.

Maverick00
02-11-2011, 12:29 AM
anyone know why they say to soak the pellets in RO water overnight before adding it to the reactor?

i have 200ml in a TLF w/ maxijet1200 and wanting to add abit more. Is the idea to keep the same amount of pellets in the reactor as they get consumed?

Funky_Fish14
02-11-2011, 01:42 AM
David Schindler was lecturing in my class a couple weeks ago about eutrophication in lakes, excess nutrients, oil sands, and other such issues. Anyways... I pulled a slide here from the powerpoint he provided us (was one of the quickest ones i could find with some of the consumption ratios). I know its not exactly what you guy are looking for... but here the number suggests that for algaes and cyanobacterias. Gives you an idea of the consumption rates. (This indicates that most 'plants' or algaes (which are not true plants)) need at least 7:1 N:P ratios present. Obviously, cyano being a bacteria (though developed slighly differently than the bacteria we aim for in our reactors), will represent a 'somewhat' similar consumption rate. (also, since we are providing a 'carbon/food source' for bacteria that consumes excess nutrients... naturally this would benefit cyano, which is certainly probable cause for cyano outbreaks. Another reason why 'taking it slowly' would be important (so your 'good bacteria' get settled in/multiply before the cyano can take-off).

Anyways i'll shut up. Here is the slide:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/Funky_Fish14/IMG00192-20110210-1923.jpg

Actually starting my pellet reactor in my system tonight. (its been running with R/O water in a pail for 5 days). My system is about 120gal... I bought 500ml, and am going to start with around 100-200.

Cheers,

Chris

(And obviously confirming the source is reliable... its David Schindler :lol: )