Abe
02-09-2011, 12:18 AM
so I tested the water today, and here are the results:

SAL - 1.025
PH - 8.1
ALK - 2.0 meq/l
CALCIUM 450
MAG - 1760

So I am wondering if it is normal to have high mag like this and if not what can I do to lower it. Thank you.

fishytime
02-09-2011, 12:25 AM
trying to adjust your mg with your alk so low wont work to well....all of the big three need to be in balance or adjusting one is very difficult...try bringing your alk up....

Abe
02-09-2011, 03:43 AM
bump

BlueTang<3
02-09-2011, 04:01 AM
How old are you test kits?

amoreira
02-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Doug is right. Fix your alk - it should be around 3 meq/L. If you don't have a 2 part dosing system or a calcium reactor, I'd suggest you get one or you'll be forever trying to stabilize your tank chemistry.

Abe
02-09-2011, 04:12 AM
my test kits are about 3 weeks old, the thing is I always had high ALK 11 and higher (using my old test kit tho) this is the first time I read ALk this low, so I am planing to take some water to LFS to test and check the correct reading. then will go from there. Thanks to all.

BlueTang<3
02-09-2011, 04:29 AM
Weird i just picked up a alk hanna colorimeter you can bring water out and check it here with my elos kits and hanna colorimeter if u like. A lot more accurate than the stores hagen kite.

fishytime
02-09-2011, 12:45 PM
what brand of test kit?

Abe
02-09-2011, 12:53 PM
the old one were API and the new one are red sea.

fishytime
02-09-2011, 01:04 PM
ok, not to sound like a jerk but, invest in some better quality test kits....I know that elos and salifert are expensive but when we are talking about our reefs, something that weve sunk a lot of cash into, it really pays to invest in test kits that are a little more accurate.....

lastlight
02-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Try doing some big water changes with some reef crystals. pitifully low in mg and pretty high in alk so it'd go a LONG ways towards getting you there.

Abe
02-09-2011, 04:39 PM
- LOL I know what you mean but where can I find them in Edmonton, I looked at different LFS but no one has them. Can you direct me to a store or Online store that carry them. Thanks.

- That is the salt I use, I usualy do 10-15% water change every week.

fishytime
02-09-2011, 11:48 PM
yes there is:biggrin: http://www.redcoralaquarium.net/online/?utm_source=Canreef&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=banner

BlueTang<3
02-10-2011, 01:29 AM
- LOL I know what you mean but where can I find them in Edmonton, I looked at different LFS but no one has them. Can you direct me to a store or Online store that carry them. Thanks.

- That is the salt I use, I usualy do 10-15% water change every week.

I take it your talking test kits here. Marine aquaria stocks every elos test kit made.

PoonTang
02-10-2011, 02:51 AM
First of all I have to ask, how did your mag get that high in the first place? If you are dosing it then stop, your mag will come down naturally and with your waterchanges. If your not dosing then I would suspect your test kit as you won't get Mag levels that high on water changes alone.

Abe
02-17-2011, 05:03 AM
okay, so I took a sample of my water to a LFS and here are the results using ELOS test kits:

PH 8.1
ALK 9.0
mag 1200 I could bump it up a bit
calcium 510 yes a bit high
but the main problem lies on the phosphate which I never use to test before it was at 1.0 yes I am not wrong it is at 1.0 so I bought an ELOS phosphate test kit and some GFO which I added under the drain line in the sump.

I have been testing it everyday since and it dropped a bit but still around 0.9 and 1.0 not a big change. I also bought new salt that I am going to use for my next water change. I am going to go from crystal reef to H2O.

I tested my RO water and my new mixed water with crestal reef and it shows almost zero for phosphate.

I was reading online that I might have to change the DSB and cook my rocks, in wich it will be hard to do right now as I will be deploying soon. so I need some guidance please, what shoud I do to lower my phosphate until I come back from my deployment. should I buy a phosban reactor and keep the GFO in it or should I buy a better skimmer as I have now a HOB Aqua C. or do you suggest some other alternative.thank you.

Abe
02-17-2011, 05:27 PM
bump

BlueTang<3
02-17-2011, 05:51 PM
We need more info. What do u feed and how often? What fish do you have? How old is your system? What are ur matience procedures? Do u have a sump ?

Abe
02-17-2011, 06:41 PM
My system is been up for about 2.5 years, I do 10-15% water change every week with RO water. I have a 30G sump for a 65G tank, my sump has in the first chamber is GFO over filter socks and some ceramic pieces for bactirea, the second chamber has some live rock and cheatoes and carbon ( I am going to go from bulk to a better quality carbon like chemi-pure, as I read on another post that cheap carbon might place phosphate in the tank), the third chamber some live sand. then back into the return pump. All the fish I have listed on my sig. I used to feed frozen mysis twice a day not big amounts tho, but yesterday I went and got fresh shrimp, scallop, clam and squid and blend them with some Kent garlic. I am going to try that. I am thinking if I go with in-sump skimmer I will remove the live rock because i have about 80lbs in the tank and I will place the skimmer in that chamber.

BlueTang<3
02-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Well depends on the size of the tangs they could be a big source. I would say i would try to find some bulk rox carbon. How much debris is on the bottom of the rock compartment. I may have missed it but what is you n03 reading. Usually phosphate and n03 go hand in hand. Personally i would remove the ceramic pieces. How much cheato do you have. Do you have a light over it? Has it been thriving or dying off. Hw often are you changing your filter socks? As for feeding a lot of phosphates are introduced from food its a good practice to rinse the food well before unthawing/ feeding. Did they use a chlorometer to check your phosphates or a kit. I don't know if 1 is a huge issue. My friends tank is 1.35 and he has a beautiful tank.

Abe
02-17-2011, 07:21 PM
sorry my NO3 is at 10%, I have a light over my cheato and its doing great. See the only problem I have is I am not getting any growth on my frags and it is frustrating me lol. Everything else is doing great.

BlueTang<3
02-17-2011, 07:28 PM
10% as compared to what ? Growth is contributed to flow and light and food. Nitrates and phosphates will affect colours. I would remove ur ceramic pieces and ensure u don't have a large build up of detris around the rock in the sump.

Abe
02-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Cool i will do that this weekend, also forgot to mention I change filter socks every weekend with the water change.

BlueTang<3
02-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Might need to bump it up to every 2-3 days or so. They trap junk then you are running all the water through what u trap. You are not running foam or anything in the system are you?

Abe
02-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Actually you are right I might have to change it every few days because when i do it once a week it is usually brown lol. NO I am not running foam, or anything else. What do you think about the skimmer or the reactors tho. Thanks :)

BlueTang<3
02-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I am a big believer of running carbon actively and having the best skimmer money can buy. Never had to run gfo so not familiar with it.

Abe
02-17-2011, 08:48 PM
what do you recommand for an in-sump skimmer for 65G tank with 30g sump.

BlueTang<3
02-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Its all dependant of room in your sump and your budget. Personally i think a bubble king 160 or alpha cone 170 would be ideal.

Abe
02-18-2011, 05:56 AM
after doing some researching, I think coralife supperskimmer 125 is best for size and money for me, what do you guys suggest.

BlueTang<3
02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
I personally would think not Bubble Magnus and swc are probably a superior selection for a cheaper skimmer. Give me a day and i will look into some options for you.

reefwars
02-18-2011, 02:36 PM
what is the k value on your bulbs for your lights???

if your running 20000k bulbs then you prob wont get a whole lot of growth where as a 14000 will give you much better growth and still keep some blue.

are you having any algae problems???

like wes said a skimmer is a must for medium or large sized tanks and try not to cheap out so buy one you can use for any other tank so go big and and as best you can.

filter socks should be changed out very frequently a good idea is to have several and change them out daily and wash them all out at once one day a week while using an extra one to use while they are being washed........IMO no fabrics should be in your tank and if there is then it needs to be washed very very frequently:):)

same goes with carbon after a while if its just in a bag and its not getting changed enough it will also hold detrius and debris and will cause more harm then good:):)

you shouldnt have to cook your rock or remove your deep sand bed i highly doubt after 2.5 yrs this is your major cause i would think after 2 yrs its the food youve been adding......rinse all frozen well and only feed it every other
day flake or pellet in between........are you feeding any liquid foods or coral foods??? cheers:):)

Abe
02-18-2011, 03:34 PM
my MH are 14k. You guys are right about the filter sock I will be going to get more so I can change frequantly. As for the skimmer, the max size i can take is 8.5wX11L X 25H. and should be around 300 dollars, Also i am going to buy a carbon reactor this weenkend and maybe a GFO as well. The good news is my phosphate is dopping, I checked it yesterday when MH were on and it was 0.75 on Elos test kit. Also this weekend I will be doing a major clean out of the sump, I will be removing the ceramic pieces and the live rock, cleaning the bottom of the sump and stirring the sand in the small fuge that I have. I used to feed frozen once every day, but couple of days ago I bought fresh shrimp, scallop, and clam and made my own food, they love this stuff. I will start feeding that every other day and have pellets for the rest. By the way, Thank you all for your help, looking forward for your continues support :).