PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for crab techniques

Scavenger
12-30-2003, 06:02 PM
Last week just before lights out, I was watching my mushroom rock when I noticed a claw extend from a hole in the rock. Well, it looks like I got a hitchhiker crab. The claw was purple with black tips. From my research, I beleive it is from the Xanthid family and they are generally destructive in a reef tank. I was hoping to get some suggestions on how to catch this little guy so I can get a possitive ID on him and deside whether or not he has a home in my tank. He has shown his claw a few times during the week but does not seem to move from his hole. I have flashlighted the tank at night but have not seen him come out yet.

While on the hitchhiker subject, I also have what I beleive to be a brittlestar or similar body shaped star living in another rock, he too won't come out. he is very small and the legs are banded dark green/grey and white. Any cause for concern here?

Gee I love my new hobby, it's like being Dr Dolittle, Sherlock Holmes and Grounds Keeper Willie all at the same time! :lol:

Aquattro
12-30-2003, 06:14 PM
Gee I love my new hobby, it's like being Dr Dolittle, Sherlock Holmes and Grounds Keeper Willie all at the same time! :lol:

I've never heard it put that way, but yes, you're very accurate in your assessment!

I have a crab just like that and haven't been able to catch it. It's been in the tank for years and I can't see anything bad because of it. Unless you catch it doing something, let it be. The star is also harmless as long as it's small. You should be able to bait it with food though...

Scavenger
12-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the input Brad! I will let the status quo stand for now. If ever I have any unsolved crimes in my tank, I guess I can round up all the suspects for interigation.

sumpfinfishe
12-31-2003, 06:43 AM
Also if you really want to find out what's in the rock you could take the rock itself out and give it a quick hypersaline dip, under a minute at around 1.34 on your gravity meter should cause the hitchers to come out.

Scavenger
01-03-2004, 01:29 AM
Well I caught the little guy. And boy do I mean little. I posted a couple of pics in my gallery hoping someone might be able to ID him.

Aquattro
01-03-2004, 02:09 AM
Man, that is way under size!! You gotta throw that one back. Catch it again in a few years when it's big enough to be bad!! :razz: