PDA

View Full Version : anyone experianced UV leak into the tank

KevinK
02-08-2011, 01:19 AM
did anyone ever experienced uv leak from there DE HQI MH into there tank?

DE pendants always come with a UV shield glass to avoid UV hitting the coral,

now, as I was waiting on an igniter for my ballast, e fellow reefer lend me a Coralife AquaLight Pro Metal Halide HQI Clamp-On Pendant.

in fact it is a need little thing.

the light coms with a 180 degree glass sleeve that you clamp on the bulb, functioning as a uv shield.

but as it is not totally surrounding the bulb, I wonder if UV leaks by passing the glass sleeve, ore from light bouncing from the bulb to the reflector into the tank

the light bulb is not shielded from the back, more ore les only from the front as a splash shield, meaning any light that spreads to the side and back, hitting the reflector is not UV filtered.

now I have this light on part of my frag tank, and after about 5 days I noticed that the monty cap frags are all dying on that side, and my zoa frags on that side, hardly open up

any experience with UV leak in the tank?

I put the light out, and will put my ignite on my own pendant (that has a full UV shield)

KevinK
02-09-2011, 02:25 AM
any one ?

jackcool
04-13-2011, 11:36 PM
If it is a really UV leaking. Its not good at all. According to my suggestion don't wait and call the technician so it may solve your problem. Its may have harmful effects on your plants and fishes you have in it. So take a good care of it. And no i never face this kind of problem.

abcha0s
04-13-2011, 11:52 PM
I have the same light over some cheato in the sump.

I was also concerned about UV so I did some research. Apparently, coral life bakes the UV protection right into their bulbs. Apparently, if you change bulbs to a different manufacturer, that's when you can really run into problems.

However, I stuck a frag under the light and it did not do well at all. It appeared to be burning. The mother colony was under a 250 watt HQI, so it shouldn't have been a problem with light intensity.

I dont believe the Coral Life bulbs say UV shielded on the box? If they were shielded, wouldn't they put that info on the box?

Coral Life won't directly acknowledge the problem, but personally I think the fixtures leak UV. Kind of upsets me when I buy junk.

Anyone else?

- Brad

Myka
04-14-2011, 02:10 AM
I've seen a tank get cooked by failing to put UV shield with DE bulb. Bleached the corals, and killed them.

StirCrazy
04-14-2011, 03:25 AM
I've seen a tank get cooked by failing to put UV shield with DE bulb. Bleached the corals, and killed them.

+1 but what I seen wasn't realy bleached.. was more like blisters that popped with threads comming out than they expanded leaving no flesh

Steve