PDA

View Full Version : Green clumps of (hair?) Algae

Trevor Robertson
12-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Okay I have problem with my tank, about 2-3 weeks ago I had noticed a small clump of algae on the sand of my tank, I did pull it out right away as I should have but a few days later after my wife was telling me it was looking really bad I went in at this time there were now two clumps about 1" big. Well I got most of it but when I was pulling it out with my fingers some small parts got away and they have now started new clumps so I have about 10 clumps of this ugly green algae on the bottom of my tank, I am a bit leary of just grabing it again and gettting 100 clumps and then having the full tank look like crap.

I do some several hermit crabs but no cleaner shrimp and I have 1 tang but nothing wants to eat the stuff.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks

martym
12-30-2003, 02:54 PM
Test the water to find out what is causing the algae, and correct the problem. How long has the tank been set up?

Son Of Skyline
12-30-2003, 03:36 PM
I'm having the same problem in a couple spots on my sandbed also. My plan is to increase my cleanup crew (mostly hermits) and start changing 4gal of water every couple days until it hopefully goes away. I'll let u know if it works!

If anybody has any other suggestions we'd love to hear it :smile:

MitchM
12-31-2003, 12:23 PM
Water changes won't solve nuisance algae problems. The algae is feeding off of excess nutrients in your system - it could be from source water, over feeding, or a buildup of excess nutrients in your system over time.

Have you done any water tests and made sure that you're not over feeding? How old is your set-up?

Mitch

Trevor Robertson
12-31-2003, 02:07 PM
I don't think that I am over feeding as everything that I put in the tank is gone in a minute or so.

Everything else in the tank is doing just fine so I don't suspect anything going wrong. But I will do some tests tonight just to check as I will admit I have not done any in a little wile.

The other thing I was wondering about is that another post is talking about some new amonia in our tap water and that is what I use to top up my tank so mabie that is it?

MitchM
12-31-2003, 05:40 PM
The excess ammonia and nusiance algae growth shouldn't be related.
You didn't mention how old your system is.
Can you see any buildup of detritus (crud) anywhere?

Mitch

Trevor Robertson
12-31-2003, 05:45 PM
sorry my system is about 10 months old, and no I don't see any other 'crud' anyware.

Thanks for the amonia answer though

MitchM
12-31-2003, 06:35 PM
I wonder if it is hair algae, then. :confused:
Any chance it could be a beneficial macro algae? Can you describe it, or post a pic?

I'm not an R/O expert, but I wonder if ammonia added to the water system could cause a carbon block in a filter to leach PO4... :question: (stab in the dark..lol..)
Post your water tests when you get them, too. (both tank water and source water)

Mitch

Trevor Robertson
01-01-2004, 11:42 PM
okay here are two pictures that I took of the green crap.

I also have tested my water today and Amonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, and PH is 8.1

Here are the shots.
http://homepage.mac.com/trevors/fish/green.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/trevors/fish/green2.JPG

I am thinking that I will just try to get as much out with my hands as I can but I am really worried about it spreading even more.

props
01-02-2004, 12:48 AM
get yourself a fox face
he/she will chum it down in a few days
=o)

Mak
01-02-2004, 12:57 AM
Instead of pulling it out with your hands, try syphoning it out.

Trevor Robertson
01-02-2004, 03:55 AM
A fox face eh?

WEll I have thought about getting one of those. Has anyone else had success with them eating this crap?

I was planing a trip to Big Al's tomorow so I may just pick one up.

Thanks for the tip.

MitchM
01-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Yep, bad algae.
What's the phosphate reading on both your source water and tank water?(tank water will probably come up 0, but you should have that test kit anyways)

Mitch

MitchM
01-02-2004, 01:01 PM
You've mentioned in the past that you are using a water conditioner and have standard NO lights.
What conditioner, and have you upgraded your lights yet?
What books are you using for a reference guide?
Foxface fish are great, but they will stop eating when they are full ...:mrgreen:

Mitch

Trevor Robertson
01-02-2004, 05:21 PM
You've mentioned in the past that you are using a water conditioner and have standard NO lights.
What conditioner, and have you upgraded your lights yet?
What books are you using for a reference guide?
Foxface fish are great, but they will stop eating when they are full ...:mrgreen:

Mitch

Well nope have not upgraded my lights yet but that should not matter for keeping a fox face...oh wait you are thinking of alge groth (I am slow some times).

I have a few books but I find most of my info on line in forums like this and other great web pages.

I know that the fish will not just go in and eat everything but I was planning on an addtion anyway so I will let him/her eat what they want and then I will pull the rest and I am sure that the new addition will finish off any smaller bits that I miss.

I don't have a Phospate test kit so I guess I should pick one up, but just wondering why would it matter if the tank water read 0 what would the purpos be to test my source water?

Well thanks everyone for you help once again with this question, I am off to Big Al's!

MitchM
01-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Yes, didn't you know that foxface fish are photosynthetic...? :smile: <jk>

Poor lighting can contribute to nusiance algae growth, and you should test your source water every now and then to be sure that you aren't adding unwanted chemicals into your tank. (Which could also be in some water "conditioners") (You didn't mention which one you were using, BTW)
That's why so many reefkeepers use RO/DI units.
Excellent water quality is extremely important.

Your tank PO4 measurement could read zero, and at the same time, you could be having crazy nusiance algae growth. That's because the algae is consuming PO4 as it grows, so it may not show up on a water test. But testing is always a good idea. You'll never know otherwise.

Online sources like this one are great, but most of the advice is anecdotal, and you should really have some quality reference books by qualified authors.
I like to use the web to get me pointed in the right direction, then do some serious research to back it up.

Mitch :smile:

tkhawaja
01-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Don't go too crazy trying to fix this. Make sure you have a good maintenance schedule and check out obvious sources of problem. Doesn't matter how long the tank has been set up for unless your imports equal your consumption + export 100%, there will always be sporadic algae blooms. They usually disappear on their own. There could be tons of reasons for this. Eliminate your obvious sources of problem and stick with a good maintenance schedule. Don't do drastic changes unless the problem persists over time.

mnoll406
01-03-2004, 05:30 AM
Do you have any cucumbers? I'm not sure on the species name, I think holothurius, will help with this. They are the ones that crawl alomg the bottom, and injest the sand and clean it up. The other thing, how isyour water movement? You may need more movement. Hope this helps,

Mike

EmilyB
01-03-2004, 06:06 AM
Turbo snails.

LostMind
01-03-2004, 07:12 AM
cerith snails like the sandbed - do turbos as well?

Also, my conch has made a BIG impact on my sandbed. In a positive way :)

Trevor Robertson
01-03-2004, 06:30 PM
well first let me say thanks for all the input.

My tank now has a new inmate. The fox fish is too funny I have done some good reading before I added him (or her not sure how to tell the diff?) but wow do they ever chage color quickly. He is really scared of me when every I come in to the room the tank is in he changes color and will stick him self along the glass or sidewase under a rock.

But on to other things, I have noticed a bit of a change already in the alge crap on the bottom.

I don't think that tubo snails would have helped this, plus every time I add them to my tank my hermit sanils eat them :eek:

I have not been able to find a fighting conch anyware but are a bit worried as I have heard that they can nock over my rocks!

Oh and one last thing I use AQUA Plus as my water conditioner from Nutrafin. If you know of better ones I am always open to try, but I have never changed before as this one has worked well for years for me.

kuatto
01-03-2004, 06:40 PM
I use Prime from Seachem,removes chlorine,chloramine,ammonia,detoxifies nitrite and nitrate.16.00 for 8.5 oz does about 2500gal.Maybe someone knows of a better one,but stuff seems pretty good.

Jim