PDA

View Full Version : Adding sand after the fact question

fishoholic
02-06-2011, 10:02 PM
So I have a 80g refugium tank and I decided I want to now add a sand bottom. I'm thinking I should remove my lionfish before adding the sand. Problem is he's harder to catch then I thought. I will remove the rock to catch him if needed though. Also a bit worried about getting food to him in the reef tank but he's used to the feeding stick and my other fish in that tank prefer mysis over the krill so I don't think they'd steal his food.

Has anyone added a new sand bed to an established tank with fish in it? Where the fish ok during the sand storm? I figure sand storms happen in the wild but obviously my tank is way more contained then the wild, which probably makes a big difference.

I'm kinda thinking the sand would take to much oxygen out of the water once it's added, so I really should remove the lionfish first. But I thought I'd ask and see what others think. I am rising the sand thoroughly first before adding it. Also thinking I should try to suck up some of the detritus on the bottom of the tank before adding the sand, or does it matter?

marie
02-06-2011, 10:17 PM
So I have a 80g refugium tank and I decided I want to now add a sand bottom. I'm thinking I should remove my lionfish before adding the sand. Problem is he's harder to catch then I thought. I will remove the rock to catch him if needed though. Also a bit worried about getting food to him in the reef tank but he's used to the feeding stick and my other fish in that tank prefer mysis over the krill so I don't think they'd steal his food.

Has anyone added a new sand bed to an established tank with fish in it? Where the fish ok during the sand storm? I figure sand storms happen in the wild but obviously my tank is way more contained then the wild, which probably makes a big difference.

I'm kinda thinking the sand would take to much oxygen out of the water once it's added, so I really should remove the lionfish first. But I thought I'd ask and see what others think. I am rising the sand thoroughly first before adding it. Also thinking I should try to suck up some of the detritus on the bottom of the tank before adding the sand, or does it matter?

I've added sand to existing tanks lots of times with no issue, just go slowly. I put the rinsed sand into a large ziplock bag, let the bag sink to the bottom of the tank and then let the sand pour out in a slow stream....very little murkiness that way

How would adding sand take oxygen out of the water anyway?

fishoholic
02-06-2011, 10:30 PM
I've added sand to existing tanks lots of times with no issue, just go slowly. I put the rinsed sand into a large ziplock bag, let the bag sink to the bottom of the tank and then let the sand pour out in a slow stream....very little murkiness that way

How would adding sand take oxygen out of the water anyway?

When I was googling info on it I found an article that said this "If you are using LR in the tank, you should not pour the LS over or on top of it. The sand will cover and smother the LR causing oxygen depletion, resulting in the death of it." I figured if the sand could smother my rock and deplete oxygen it, then it would be the same for the fish and water :noidea:

However I love your idea of using a ziplock bag, wonder why I didn't think of that! I believe I will do just that, thanks for the info :biggrin:

Dyspnea
02-06-2011, 11:57 PM
I use a long section of PVC pipe with a funnel on the top. I pour the sand into the funnel and if necessary, ill pour some tank water down the pipe to help flush it too the bottom and I then move the pipe around to the areas that need sand, very precise control to where it goes, and no sand storm. :mrgreen:

Aquattro
02-07-2011, 12:45 AM
When I was googling info on it I found an article that said this "If you are using LR in the tank, you should not pour the LS over or on top of it. The sand will cover and smother the LR causing oxygen depletion, resulting in the death of it." I figured if the sand could smother my rock and deplete oxygen it, then it would be the same for the fish and water :noidea:

Yup, do not pour sand over existing fish, it will smother them :)

Aquattro
02-07-2011, 12:45 AM
I use a long section of PVC pipe with a funnel on the top. I pour the sand into the funnel and if necessary, ill pour some tank water down the pipe to help flush it too the bottom and I then move the pipe around to the areas that need sand, very precise control to where it goes, and no sand storm. :mrgreen:

I've done this as well, worked great.

fishytime
02-07-2011, 12:55 AM
geez....she just cant tank my word for it:lol::razz:

fishoholic
02-07-2011, 02:23 AM

Another great idea, thanks :thumb:

Yup, do not pour sand over existing fish, it will smother them :)

:lol: ok well I wasn't going pour it right on him, but I was worried that if too much of a sand storm occurred it might hurt or kill him.

geez....she just cant tank my word for it:lol::razz:

Second opinions are always welcomed in my world, you should know that by now :razz: Plus look at all these great ideas others have to get the sand to go were it should :mrgreen:

noirsphynx
02-07-2011, 04:02 AM
I did it not long ago Laurie, no problems here.

pyke
02-07-2011, 04:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XB0bwtZh8&feature=related

This is the best method I have found. if you use a large mouth bottle it will go way faster.