PDA

View Full Version : my tank pics :)

christyf5
12-30-2003, 04:59 AM
90gallon, 2x250 Iwasaki 6500K, AquaC EV-150 skimmer, Ocean Aquatics Ca Reactor

Battling hair algae and caulerpa right now. Gives the tank a healthy greenish glow :rolleyes:

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/tanky.jpg

sorry for making you scroll across the screen :biggrin:

Aquattro
12-30-2003, 05:23 AM
Christy, that color algae is much nicer than the brown! Any thoughts on why the algae is there?

StirCrazy
12-30-2003, 05:30 AM
Christy, that color algae is much nicer than the brown! Any thoughts on why the algae is there?

because we all got defective tangs unlike you and your pigs.

Steve

EmilyB
12-30-2003, 06:35 AM
It's cuz I told her a fox face would eat anything green....and she bought the colorblind one.... :rolleyes: :lol:

Looking super Christy ! :cool:

Jack
12-30-2003, 03:38 PM
Looks great Christy!

christyf5
12-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Yes, definitely in part to the defective fish :razz: I had a bit of HA come in on some zoos and it really likes my tank. I can kill off terrestrial plants pretty darned quickly but not the same for the underwater ones. I've been doing regular water changes but haven't really seen much for results. It was kind of a strange thing the green algaes. As soon as I kicked the browns out of there the greens were a go to take over. Less competition I guess. And then an absolute explosion of grape caulerpa that I can't seem to keep up with. Within about 2-3 weeks of the browns gone the caulerpa was insane and still is. I'm pretty much beyond adding any more "herbivorous" fish at this point. I'm thinking maybe a tuxedo urchin and some emerald crabs or something.

Its scary but I kind of enjoyed pulling caulerpa and HA the other night. I think things would get boring if I couldn't mess around with my tank occasionally :wink:

LostMind
12-30-2003, 06:25 PM
diadema urchin can make a big dent in hair algea too!

christyf5
12-30-2003, 06:29 PM
Aren't those the long spiny ones that are poisonous or something?? They have a couple at our LFS.

Christy :)

LostMind
12-30-2003, 06:47 PM
they are poisonous, but I have had no troubles with mine... just dont stick yourself on the spines!

They look cool :)

christyf5
12-30-2003, 09:15 PM
Well I got a really disgusting burn from my MH the day before yesterday so I don't know if I want to risk it with a deadly poisonous urchin. I think I'd rather kill myself on regular run of the mill stuff rather than invite it into my home :p

They are pretty sweet looking though....... :mrgreen: :rolleyes:

Christy :)

Jack
12-30-2003, 10:30 PM
I got one off Darren they are cool. I'm scared of spiking myself on it though. :lol:

MitchM
12-31-2003, 12:06 PM
FWIW, I've stuck myself half a dozen times on that same urchin, cleaning algae off the glass :eek: .
Drawn blood, got purple dye on me from the poison, ruined 6 pairs of "aqua-gloves" (I now have a surplus of left hands... :razz: ), but I'm o.k., no ill effects, despite the injuries.

...relatively speaking...lol...

(tank looks good, Christy!)

Mitch :mrgreen:

EmilyB
12-31-2003, 11:34 PM
(I now have a surplus of left hands... :razz: ) :mrgreen:

:lol: I wonder if there are left-handed reefers out there in the same boat, I know I have a couple spare lefts as well... :biggrin:

BCOrchidGuy
01-02-2004, 04:28 AM
All I'll say is after working 5 years on the West Coast as a dive instructor, Don't sit on urchins, don't stick your hand (with flaslight on a rope) in an octopus's cave, don't tense up while diving gabriola pass(the barnacles are the size of cessnas) and DON'T let some dork swim up behind you and pull the zip on your dry suit.

Doug

StirCrazy
01-02-2004, 11:25 AM
, don't tense up while diving gabriola pass(the barnacles are the size of cessnas)

Doug

explain this one please :mrgreen:

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
01-02-2004, 03:50 PM
lol Steve, Gabriola pass is a great place to drift dive, basically, you get in the water at slack tide (which lasts a mere couple minutes) you descend and as the tide starts to move, you get dragged along with it. There are rocks down there the size of a house and the barnacles gather food by being face on into the current. If you're relaxed the water will pull you around each of the rocks, it's kinda like being on a roller coaster but with out the roller coaster part. If you tense up, you'll hit the rock and stick to the barnacle (not to mention get more than a few little leaks in your dry suit). Pushing off the barnacle is tough because of all that water pushing against you but once you do, the current grabs you and rips you along again. It's a blast, it's fast, it's furious and it's never long enough. I've been in the pass while a pod or Orca's go through, although I didn't see them one of the people I was diving with did, but we could hear them all the way through the pass.

MitchM
01-02-2004, 04:30 PM
Cool... :smile:

Makes me wish I never moved off the island.... :smile:

Mitch

BCOrchidGuy
01-02-2004, 06:24 PM
For a diver the island offers so much oppourtunity. I can't dive anymore but when I was diving I sure loved it. I logged nearly 1300 dives in just under 5 years. Campbell river, gabriola, barcley sound, odgen point all excellent dive sites. As for Cowtown you have lake minawanka... (spell?) I've not been there but I hear it's pretty cool, an entire town under water... would be fun (cold but fun)

Doug

MitchM
01-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Lake Minnewanka

Here's a link to some dive pics (not mine, I don't dive yet):
http://www.mossmanscubaventures.com/reports.php?pics=30&day=62

Oh, and keeping with the thread, there are no diadema urchins down there! :mrgreen:

(Sorry Christy, kinda like going out for a business lunch and mentioning actual business in one sentence)

Mitch :smile: