PDA

View Full Version : Any Visual Basic/Studio Programmers near Langley BC????

Vancouver Reefer
02-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Im currently working on my own DIY controller which is almost finished. DIY is my passion and have loved every minute of it so far. Im now at the stage where im working on a sweet GUI/PC interface and need a little bit of guidance with some of the code.

Here is a link about my controller:

https://sites.google.com/site/richardorme1979/

Its uses an Arduino Mega for its core. Im looking to interface via serial to a dedicated PC ( For Now ) which will monitor and display the variables being sent form my controller.

Here is what i have managed to cobble together so far, Oh and im a complete Noob at VB:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5015/5422024251_870d104a34_b.jpg

Im after a little guidance on how to send multiple packets of information and then have each widget display the correct corresponding data. Ive tried searching the net for day but i must be just looking at the wrong stuff!

Thanks in Advance VR

Northernseacorals
02-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Looks like you are off to a great start mate !

I wish I could help you, however I only know XCode :(

Good luck with your project, I will be keeping tabs on it !!!

Lampshade
02-06-2011, 07:38 PM
I've been looking at a LOT of your progress, and your web page, you've done a great build and posted lots about it. I'm building an Arduino controller aswell right now. I like your UI, I'm planning on using gobetwino for data collection on the PC, not at that part of programming yet, but hopefully i'll have stuff to share. I'm planning on builing it in excel and using VBA to interpret data to a UI. I use VBA lots at work, shares most of the same propeties as regular VB, so hopefully i can help.

Vancouver Reefer
02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks all for your comments. Its been a fun ride so far with LOTS of head scratching and learning! I used to program PLC's a long time ago, so learning the Arduino code has been a serious copy, paste and play affair!!

Lampshade - That Gobetweno looks interesting. Ive never heard or seen of that before and im going to look further into it. Thanks for the heads up!

VR :typing:

cwatkins
02-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Sorry, when I went through school they weren't teaching VB anymore :surprise: (back in 03'/04')

Edit: Try using stackoverflow.com - It's a really good resource if you have questions or are looking for answers.

Vancouver Reefer
02-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately when i left school in 95 we hadnt even heard of VB!!!

I got to start with the easiet thing i can find!

Lampshade
02-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I like the gobetwino because it seems like it should be a pretty straightforward program that'll take data only when i send it, so not overwhelming.

There's a few other data logging programs out there aswell, I found this one late last night that might be what you are looking for:

http://timewitharduino.blogspot.com/2009/05/getting-arduino-to-write-to-or-read.html

and basically most things on the arduino interfacing with software page:

http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/InterfacingWithSoftware

I used to do PLC programming as well. I took a Jva course in college a few years back, never really used it too much until recently. I've been doing lots of VBA programming at work, and now with the arduino i've relearned C programming. Like you say, fun experience so far, can't wait to see what my controller ends up as.

wolf_bluejay
02-08-2011, 04:13 AM
Geez, this would be the first time that I have ever seen a project done with VB that was interesting. Sadly, I'm not good at VB, and don't really want to be.

I have done a bit of work with the atmega chips before if you ever need help with that, or any other language (I program in about 40+, some I don't want to admit) just say the word. Just don't tell anyone I can code in "J"....

Vancouver Reefer
02-08-2011, 04:47 PM
What im trying to do at the moment is find code on how each toolbox component works, eg:

On the left of the GUI i have 2 linear sliders so i can set my light intensities for my white and actinic leds.
Under each slider is a digital led box.

What i would like to do is show the value in the led box to which each slider is set at.

Slider at 50%, box reads 50% etc

Once i have that sorted then i can work out how to add that to the serial commands to send to the controller.

One control at a time.

VR.