PDA

View Full Version : Coral Graveyard??

eternitybc
02-05-2011, 06:18 PM
A few months ago we got several pieces of orange digi from a member of canreef (thanks Sam!). I had a nice baseball size piece of rock- some pieces I glued onto it, others I wedged into holes in the rock. Love the piece!!

Well, the glued pieces are doing nicely and growing over the rock- the others are doing just OK. They keep coming out and ending up in the back of the tank. I keep putting them back, but there are now dead spots on the coral where they didn't get light. I need to get more glue, obviously.

Here's the crazy thing- I thought it was the flow from our power heads, dislodging the coral. Yesterday, minutes after replacing all the pieces for the dozenth time, I was sitting on my couch on the laptop, when I noticed my blackcap pick up a piece in his mouth, pull it from the rock, and drop it in the back of the tank. He then did it to a second piece. WTH?! I tried to get it on camera, but I swear he knew- he just looked at me, sneaky thing.

This has been going on for weeks- it's always put in the same spot. Is he building a nest? Hungry?? I feed them twice a day- probably overkill, but he's a meanie- He always gets first dibbs, so I doubt that's it. It was so funny seeing him carry a piece of coral twice his size across the tank. I'm going to try to get it on film. Anyone else seen this before, with any fish?

I've been sticking to LPS, despite having MH's, etc...because I wasn't have any luck with SPS. Now I find out its my fish!!

reefwars
02-05-2011, 08:29 PM
not uncommon, my female cinnamon clown would pick up any frags she didnt like and swim across the tank sometimes she would throw it in the sand and swipe its tail at it lol.she picked up a whole pocci about 4" on a concrete frag disk did the same thing swam acroos the tank with it lol i always wondered how much she could actually carry if she wanted. more times then not though she just picks the frag and tosses it lol

more than likely your invading its territory and its defending it throwing it to the back of the tank out of its sight lol

pic would be cool though lol:):)

pirate
02-05-2011, 09:40 PM
I have a candy cane that I wanted to put in a corner of my tank. Woke up to find it in the sand bed, thought to my self too much flow. Wedge it back into the hole and went out. Came back later on, back into the sand it went. This went on for a few days, till I found my yellow tail damsel just did not like where I was putting it. Moved it to the other side and now no problems. Been there for a few weeks ands it doing good and is happy.

globaldesigns
02-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Well that just sucks... Sometimes fish do that.

My hippo tang took a liking to zoas, but then stopped, so I thought she ate the non toxic ones leaving the bad tasting ones alone. Well now I don't have a single zoa in my tank. She took a liking to the rest, and now I have none. Oh well, won't be buying more zoas.

If it continues you will have to decide on getting rid of the fish or the coral it likes.

eternitybc
02-18-2011, 08:26 PM
:mad: We gave away all the frags that were loose or broken off, before they died. That only leaves us with three pieces, that are actually attached and growing over the rock. And yet... there are 2 more peices at the back of the tank?!

I didn't get him on tape carrying the coral (which was actually quite cute/funny!), but i did get him trying to break more off. Several times. Right in front of me. He isn't even hiding it anymore. it's like he's attacking it- and yet I dont get why he puts it all at the back, like he's nesting.

Also, I attached several new zoa frags around the tank...my lawnmore goby picked one up and tossed it to the sand, too!! WTH?

Stupid fish, can't have anything nice :)

ScubaSteve
02-18-2011, 09:36 PM
I had a maroon clown from hell that would do that to me. I had a beautiful new Blue Blasto come into the tank... left the room for an hour to come back and find the damn fish had dropped it sunny side down on a nem. Killed half the f***ing thing! I had to hide it from her.

She also decided to frag my red digi colony for me as it was getting in her swimming path. How nice.