PDA

View Full Version : fading acan, pics

BigHammer
02-05-2011, 07:36 AM
getting some color loss on some polyps of one of my acanthastrea.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/boss_supra/mini%20reef/P1030173.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/boss_supra/mini%20reef/P1030172.jpg

what should be my next course of action :sad:

Borderjumper
02-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Adjust the light by either raising them or lowering them. Also feed them a little more.

BigHammer
02-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Adjust the light by either raising them or lowering them. Also feed them a little more.

thanks. i havent been feeding very well ill give that a shot

daniella3d
02-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Mine did the same. Remove them from the light. I put them in the shade and started to feed more. They have too much light.

Mine are now pretty much back to normal color, but I still keep them in the shade and away from the light.

You need to put them in a low flow area or cut the pump to feed them. frozen cyclop is an excellent food. You put the cyclop on them or frozen brine, and wait a bit. They eat like pigs and they need food to survive because they don,t like light, they like food 3 times per weeks min.

fishytime
02-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Also feed them a little more.

Mine did the same. Remove them from the light. I put them in the shade and started to feed more. They have too much light.
You need to put them in a low flow area
They eat like pigs and they need food to survive because they don,t like light, they like food 3 times per weeks min.

Ladies.....hows about we ask the gentleman a little background info before we go offering advice???.....like, what is the lighting in the tank?.... what is the flow like?.....is the coral new to the tank?

I do not target feed any of my acans.....they are out in full light and I have them in a tank with 10000 gph of flow.....

whatcaneyedo
02-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Same here. I keep four in my frag system which gets 60x/hr turnover and is well lit from a 250W MH. I'll also only directly feed them on occation, maybe once a week or less. They've only faded in color once and that was when I tried out a minimal amount of Vertex biopellets.

So tell us more about your system and the coral if you want some informed advice.

naesco
02-06-2011, 09:19 PM
All of the above and buy some Acan plus which is available from Red Coral Aquariums in Edmonton and target feed the Acans and similar coral.

BigHammer
02-06-2011, 09:47 PM
i did grab some acan plus from red coral, they and the rest of the lps loved that stuff.

i just transferred to a new tank, nanocube led. previously they were in a 55g with sundial t5ho lighting. i did notice the color fading slightly in the previous tank. it was position on the tank bottom.