PDA

View Full Version : Another low PH thread.

zum14
02-04-2011, 09:17 PM
So today I calibrated my apex prob to find my ph sitting at 7.66.... Hmmm.... So i did a search and came across the reefkeeping article written my randy holmes farley. I did some reading, did some tests. I took a cup of tank water and aerated for 15 mins. Tested with probe and ph test, found to remain the same at 7.6. I took a fresh glass of tank water and aerated again for 15 mins, but this time i put the air pump outside on my step. The ph tested at 7.91. I checked my kh at 6-7dkh depending on the test kit. Calciums at 430. Im thinking some of my problem is co2 in my house and the other problem is slightly low dkh. So do i start dosing to raise my alk and in turn bring co2 down and ph up or try an airstone with a fresh air intake to outside. Im not sure that aeration will totally fix the problem, it will bring co2 down and ph up but will that affect my alk? I know theres a lot of people using the hrv but thats not something i can take advantage of at this time. I never really watched ph much because people always say keep the big 3 in check and the rest will follow. Well in the article its saying 7.8 is the lower limit so i feel i need to do something. Thanks to anyone with any suggestions.

kien
02-04-2011, 10:09 PM
There have been some recent discussions regarding pH.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71271

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71728

and similiar mentions about pH in this thread:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71079

I think there is a general consensus in all of those threads that if you don't see anything wrong in your tank, you don't really need to mess with pH. If you do it could lead to problems that you aren't currently having. :)

abcha0s
02-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Co2 in the house might be causing the shift from 7.6 to 7.9, but if you calculate an error margin it's probably only about half that. See if you can repeat the test.

Regardless, I'd bet good money that your calibration is off. I calibrated my apex pro ph probe 10 times and got 10 different baselines. There are too many variables to control the calibration process. I compared it against several different test kits and got several different results. The apex controllers are nice (I have one) but consider the cost of these things. They are cheap hobbyist equipment and are not all that accurate.

Unless you observe a problem that you believe is related to low pH, or you are running a calcium reator, then I really wouldn't worry. Just recalibrate again until you get a value that you like better. I found that resetting the apex to factory defaults fixed my low pH prob. Use the probe to understand the fluctuations in your tank, not to determine a precise value. Also useful for preventing spikes.

- Brad

zum14
02-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Interesting. I was already thinking that dosing wasnt the fix, just a little concerned. Thanks for the reasurance. I might look into getting the air a bit better in my house just for the reason that obviously its not as good as outside. That itself may help things. If you happen to read the thread again kien hows your hrv you installed a few months back. Its been through winter now and from the weather i was watching a few cold days. Whats you general consensis on it so far?

kien
02-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Interesting. I was already thinking that dosing wasnt the fix, just a little concerned. Thanks for the reasurance. I might look into getting the air a bit better in my house just for the reason that obviously its not as good as outside. That itself may help things. If you happen to read the thread again kien hows your hrv you installed a few months back. Its been through winter now and from the weather i was watching a few cold days. Whats you general consensis on it so far?

The HRV has been the best thing I have ever bought! Not only does it benefit the tank by reducing CO2 in the house and cutting down the humidity but it has helped us out a lot too. The house feels so much fresher now every time we step in. It isn't too dry, or too wet and stale. We have it dialed in to just perfect.

Even if I didn't have a fish tank I would buy an HRV for my house from now on. Even when we have friends over they comment about how different the inside of our house feels, even compared to how our house used to be and to how their homes are without HRVs.

zum14
02-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Have you noticed any increase in your utility bills? If you dont mind me asking of course. Im just concerned when its -30 out that the inside air will partially heat the incoming air on the exchange but not fully and so the furnace has to make up for it right? Also the fans on, running all the time is extra eletricity that adds up. Im not exactly sure how efficient they are. Its hard to find information on them in this town. My other issue is prince george doesnt exactly have a good reputation for being a fresh smelling town. Some days i dont want the outside air inside as its wafting from a sewage treatment plant or pulpmill ( i know right? ) id need a filter option on it and thats also extra as well.

kien
02-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Have you noticed any increase in your utility bills? If you dont mind me asking of course. Im just concerned when its -30 out that the inside air will partially heat the incoming air on the exchange but not fully and so the furnace has to make up for it right? Also the fans on, running all the time is extra eletricity that adds up. Im not exactly sure how efficient they are. Its hard to find information on them in this town. My other issue is prince george doesnt exactly have a good reputation for being a fresh smelling town. Some days i dont want the outside air inside as its wafting from a sewage treatment plant or pulpmill ( i know right? ) id need a filter option on it and thats also extra as well.

I actually haven't noticed a HUGE surge in the utility bill. Maybe just slightly. That may be because previously what we did was 1. turn on all the fans in the house (microwave, bathrooms, etc), and have them run for a while. 2. Crank open windows in the house. Thus, there would be a drain on electricity with the fans on and a drain on the heat with the windows open :) So, with the HRV I think it balances out.

zum14
02-04-2011, 10:40 PM
I actually haven't noticed a HUGE surge in the utility bill. Maybe just slightly. That may be because previously what we did was 1. turn on all the fans in the house (microwave, bathrooms, etc), and have them run for a while. 2. Crank open windows in the house. Thus, there would be a drain on electricity with the fans on and a drain on the heat with the windows open :) So, with the HRV I think it balances out.

Thank you very much for the input.