PDA

View Full Version : critique my tank....

cathyg_99
02-04-2011, 02:38 AM
90 gallon havent set anything up yet so critique it... the plan (unless there is aggression) is to keep them without moviing them due to larger size...

100-110 lbs live sand/aragonite mix mainly live
100-120lbs live rock

Clean up crew:

About 15 blue leg/scarlet hermits
2 cleaner shrimp
1 tuxedo urchin
2- Astrea snails
1 emerald crab
1 black sailfin blenny(or other algae blenny)
1 small sea star

Corals:
Polyps
Mushroom corals
Hammer head
frogspawn

Fish:
1 algae blenny(part of cleaning crew)
1 yellow tang (really like the yellow over regal due to size)
2 clown fish
2 fire fish goby
1 Hectors goby

any other fish suggestions?? or any changes

howdy20012002
02-04-2011, 02:41 AM
what size of tank?

cathyg_99
02-04-2011, 02:43 AM
90g sorry

The Grizz
02-04-2011, 02:55 AM
I would lose at least half the amount of sand. Could cause some problems

eli@fijireefrock.com
02-04-2011, 02:57 AM
Is there a sump.lighting specs.
live sand i don't think you need it.get dry and seed it from maybe a friend's tank you trust.
Same for live rock why spend soo much money for live instead of dry and do same seed it later.Unless you got a good deal by buying someones setup.
look into Hawaiian blue tang or sailfin part of the cleaning crew.
everyone has a different idea about cleanup crew,i have only 2 ghost snails for cleanup.all parameters top shape and no i mean none hair algae,most people seen my tank will vouch for that.

Palmer
02-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Thoughts on lighting and flow?

I haven't much experience with mushroom corals because i avoided them because many of them tend to spread quick and take over rock. I did get gsp and put it on a rock in the sand like an island so it wouldnt go everywhere. You may want to do the same.

With all those gobies and blennys you better get some bird netting for the top of the tank they tend to be skittish and jump. I use eggcrate but I have had fish bigger than the ones you mention go through it. I really like my lawnmower blenny I think that is a good choice.

You may want to mix up your snails a bit and get a few more. I dont go for the huge clean up crew philosophy but I still have about 3 Astrea, 3 Nasarius, 2 Turbo, and about 5 ceriths (miniture ceriths) in my 120 G tank.

I am interested in what others say about your live rock idea but I think you are planning on getting way more than you need. I know many recommend 1 Ilb per G (which puts you at about 90) but I have about 60 Ibs in my 120 G and my parameters are very stable...

Oh well i have only been doing this about a year so interested in what others have to say...

Palmer

ponokareefer
02-04-2011, 04:17 AM
I'd go with more snails, less crabs. Crabs can become a pain.

You could go with less live rock off the start and when you buy some corals, they are attached to rock.

Firefish are big time jumpers, so make sure you have some way to keep them in.

What kind of clownfish are you looking at? Some can get quite mean.

The Grizz
02-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Definitely less rock & less sand for a 90 gal, I have half that amount of sand and a little less rock in the 8' er. I would put some egg crate over the top as well to keep the jumpers in.

Rogue951
02-04-2011, 04:53 AM
For the record I have 4 purple and 2 red/orange firefish in a 40 breeder tank uncovered and they've never jumped on me.
My cleaner wrasse on the othe hand likes to go in and out of the overflow. Don't ask me how....

I agree with the less sand idea. Unless you want a deep bed, but you need to take other considerations with that.
Also agree with dry rock to start. Bulk reef supply has cheap dry rock if you ship to Point Roberts. Atleast use some dry rock. Save some $$$. This is an expensive hobby.
That being said if someone is selling off for less than $3-4 per pound maybe go all the way.

**edit** ignore point roberts. That's the closest US border to Vancouver. Saves on customs.

cathyg_99
02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Is there a sump.lighting specs.
live sand i don't think you need it.get dry and seed it from maybe a friend's tank you trust.
Same for live rock why spend soo much money for live instead of dry and do same seed it later.Unless you got a good deal by buying someones setup.
look into Hawaiian blue tang or sailfin part of the cleaning crew.
everyone has a different idea about cleanup crew,i have only 2 ghost snails for cleanup.all parameters top shape and no i mean none hair algae,most people seen my tank will vouch for that.

so your saying get a hawaiian blue or sailfin over the yellow tang or with it?

cathyg_99
02-04-2011, 02:55 PM
im getting my live rock from someone so i dont mind having it all live

if i cut down my clean up crew to say this

2 cleaner shrimp
1 tuxedo urchin
2- Astrea snails(or diff kind of snails)
5 mixed crabs
1 emerald crab
1 algae blenny

that would work?

noirsphynx
02-04-2011, 08:09 PM
I'd go with less rock & sand. I'd also cover the tank. I've had firefish, wrasses & clowns jump from mine.

I'd add several nassarius snails and a few cerith snails too.

IMO I would not put a blue tang or sailfin in a 90g. I think they get too large for a 90g. I'd stick with one of the bristletooth tangs or the yellow tang.