PDA

View Full Version : Help! Frogspawn/Hammers in Trouble!

BlazingArrow
02-04-2011, 02:10 AM
Hi guys,
I woke up this morning to my 2 Hammers and a frogspawn all retracted quite a bit. I did a 25% water change to see if that would help. But nothing has really changed. I noticed a couple little brown spots on the tips of the frogspawn and then a few also on one of the hammers. It almost looks like its burnt?
Last night I added a 2 monti's, some zoa's and some paly's.
I should mention that I did just swap to this tank with higher lighting. I went from biocube PC's to a MH. So I cut back on the lighting schedule, but have been increasing. (Perhaps too fast...15 mins per day?...)
Just in the process of re-checking parameters. Everything was bang on earlier though...
Any suggestions?
Will post parameters and a photo too shortly...
Cheers guys

BlazingArrow
02-04-2011, 02:32 AM
Parameters are good:
Calcium: 430
Alk: 8.5
Phos, Nitr, Amm: all 0
PH 8.1

BlazingArrow
02-04-2011, 02:43 AM
It's a little hard to see, but there are little brown spots on the hammer and the ends of the tips of the FS are brown, especially in the back right head...
Any thoughts?
They have opened slightly, but are not anything close to what they normally are...

viperfish
02-04-2011, 04:01 AM
You need to diffuse the light, and not just shorten the daylight. There is quite a difference in the intensity of MH vs PC. Either raise the fixture as high as possible or cover the tank with something to partially block the light. Then you can gradually increase the intensity to acclimate the coral to the light.

04scoobysti
02-04-2011, 04:13 AM
Light sounds like the problem to me too. Can you move them to the bottom of the tank? If so, do that then slowly bring them up to the spot where you would like them.

BlazingArrow
02-04-2011, 04:56 AM
Cheers guys, I think you're right, at least hope so :)
Been super stoked on this new set-up and so was really bummed to see things not doing well! Fingers crossed**
I will try and get a hanging fixture, as I wanted to hang the light anyway. And will move the corals lower til they get used to the light.
Thanks for the suggestions.

windcoast reefs
02-04-2011, 05:37 AM
That looks like my frogspawn before I moved it to the bottom of my tank. I am only using 2 T5's and they did that. To much light would be my vote.