PDA

View Full Version : HOB Overflow Box or Out Pump?

Midway
02-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Hi there,

I am in the process to build a sump for my 80ish reef. I just want to keep as simple as possible. I'm thinking just having a pump that takes water out of the main tank and a return pump in the sump. I don't like the idea of having a HOB overflow box. If I go with the out pump and return pump, do they have to be the same gph?

Or what are your advices to keep it simple?

Well, the tank is a tempered glass so drill is not an option, the tank is running anyways.

Let me know your thoughts.

Manny

axe_man16
02-03-2011, 06:03 PM
I would not go with a pump in your display tank. If one fails you will have a big mess. I would either get a reef ready tank or get a life reef overflow. I didn't want to buy a new tank (mine is tempered as well) so I ordered the life reef. i have done many power outage test and every time it starts right back up. Just keep up with maintanance and you will be fine.

Midway
02-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Where did you buy that one from?

axe_man16
02-03-2011, 06:13 PM
lifereef.com they cost a little more than other ones on the web, but are hand made and very high quality. The only thing I wished I did was get it in black, to match my background (you can choose clear, blue or black) not sure if there is an extra charge for changing the color tho.

nlreefguy
02-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Problem with the pumps idea is that you'll never be able to match the gph. Even with idential pumps, the bottom one is going to have to deal with head loss. It would be impossible to balance practically in the long run. Your only options are to drill your tank or have a hang-on overflow, I'm afraid, unless you wanted to go with just a hang-on refugium type of setup.

On the upside, HOB overflow boxes don't have to be big and ugly, or complicated either. They are pretty reliable and you can always put the return pump on a float switch if you're worried about the overflow box failing. It's what I have done, and it's been working flawlessly for me for years.

Midway
02-03-2011, 06:33 PM
I could always use ball valves in both pumps to decrease or increase the flow.

gobytron
02-03-2011, 06:35 PM
I could always use ball valves in both pumps to decrease or increase the flow.

Yeah...
If you want to adjust them daily.

I tried this on a nano with 2 MJ12's and I'm telling you, it's not possible unless you are ready to adjust daily or more.

Whats the hang up against an external overflow?

WAY more simple than the dual pump idea IMO...

Midway
02-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Would anybody know where I could get a good HOB overflow box in Calgary?

axe_man16
02-03-2011, 06:45 PM
The problem with using pumps are:

They would need to be set up fairly high in tank, just incase one fails, if you have it too low and one fails it will flood the other tank.

You will have to be constantly adjusting the ball valves, because there will be things getting stuck in the pump causing a change in flow.

gobytron
02-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Would anybody know where I could get a good HOB overflow box in Calgary?

Put a wanted post up in the classifieds...
I bet you get a hit or two.

DON'T use the CPR versions, use the LifeReef or similar (Utube version)...
Mine has been going for nearly 6 years without a break in siphon.

You can also find someone who is decent with acrylic to just make you one...

Midway
02-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all the advices guys. For sure I'm going to go with a HOB Overflow now. You're right two pumps wouldn't work at all.

Thanks again!!

Manny