PDA

View Full Version : Bellus angel M/F compatibility

Delphinus
02-03-2011, 07:22 AM
I have a pair of bellus angels (Genicanthus bellus). Have had them around 2 years or thereabouts and got them from a Canreefer shutting his tank down.

Anyhow the aggression between the two is something that sort of makes me uncomfortable. The male is a complete jerk to the female.

After all this time, it's clear it's not something that's going to lessen as time goes on.

I guess my question is, are pairs usually like this? Or is this basically not a "pair" but just a male and a female and they hate each other?

I'm getting tempted to think about selling one or both.

The only hesitation I have is that since they are sequential hermaphrodites or whatever the term is for when fish turn from one gender to the other .. is the male simply reasserting his dominance so that the female stays female basically and thus he keeps her from turning into a rival male?

BlueTang<3
02-03-2011, 12:50 PM
There is a very interesting article about this in one of my old coral mags i will dig it up and let you know. It has to do with something like 95 % of them or something will always change to male no matter what. The female may be more male already than you think.

Delphinus
02-03-2011, 03:21 PM
That might explain why it feels like the aggression is escalating. I guess an intervention might be inevitable if that's the case. If you wouldn't mind looking up that article that'd be awesome, I'll keep googling as time allows myself.

Veng68
02-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Post this question in Reefs.org in the fish section. They have a couple experts that post there, Jay Hemdal (curator at the Toldeo zoo) and a Japanese guy (I forget his name) but he is really into rare marine fish (takes pictures of them).

Cheers,
Vic